Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-05-17, 20:33

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 230/165/160 Male 67
BF:
Progress: 93%
Default Blood Glucose, what does it mean?

After reading Dr. Atkins 1972 book, he suggested using ketone strips to check your reaction as you add carbs. I have never gotten a purple result from the strips, even when doing a faithful indiction. The only time I got somewhat of a reaction was during a biologically zero carb indiction, and then it was only about midway. I mention this because as a replacement, I started checking my blood glucose with my wife's old glucometer. I should also mention that I do not really change anything based on the readings, it is more of an experiment out of curiosity, and I'll probably stoped checking once I confirm the trends, if any. The idea os based on how they developed the glycemic index by monitoring blood sugar 2 hours after eating a certain food, vs 2 hours after ingesting pure glucose. When eating 20g to 40g of carbs per day, my readings were high 90's low 100's. When eating 10g to 20g carbs per day, my readings are high 70's to low 90's. These readings range from morning fasting to 2 hours after meals. The trend of lower readings during periods of lower carbs does hold consistent, but individual readings confuse me. For example, I had assumed a low reading meant the meal did not spike my blood sugar, i.e. a food I could safely add back. However, I have noticed sometimes I get a pretty low reading in the 70's after eating what I expect to raise my blood sugar, for example, a salad with cucumbers and tomatoes, instead of just lettuce and celery. I am wondering if the low readings actually mean i did spike my blood sugar, causing an insulin release which lowered my blood sugar. If thats the case, then would an increase after eating mean I did not trigger an insulin release? Its a little confusing and I am not sure it provides any useful information. Can anyone explain if measuring blood glucose has any value for a non-diabetic.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-06-17, 03:24

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

It can have value if you do not yet know what foods raise BG, or you are trying to find an optimal level of carbs, as explained by Dr Davis. http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2016/...ng-blood-sugar/
However, a home glucose meter can vary by up to 10%, a reading two hours after you ate a salad could have missed the peak, or did you eat one salad with more fat or other foods which can moderate the response?
You are responding as expected to low carb meals, and you may be insulin sensitive so the release of insulin "cleaned up" the BG and returned to baseline in an hour.
Since you are at goal ( ) a meter may still come in handy if you want to see how you respond to say yogurt, or various fruits, etc. to help you decide what foods to add back as you "climb the Atkins ladder".