Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sat, Aug-22-09, 18:08
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 267/184/140 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 65%

Excercise is a wonderful thing. Really, it is.

I started out walking around a big carport everyday for ten laps (1/2) mile. I then inheritted a treadmill & walked....20 minutes, 30....faster...faster...35 minutes...broke the treadmill.

Bought a new one.

But to each their own, as long as it's an activity they enjoy.

Moving is about so much more than weight loss. It's about getting up and LIVING. The benifits outweigh the fact that you may not lose as much or as quickly as you want.

It's a great article, but I'd rather focus on the author's woes about doing undesirable things for that activity.

The concept of being active in general, I feel is lost with what was written.

Am I off? Anybody disagree?
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sat, Aug-22-09, 19:24

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Velcro
The concept of being active in general, I feel is lost with what was written. Am I off? Anybody disagree?

Oh no, I agree. I *feel* better when I get more exercise, and that's the benefit of it, but I don't expect it to help me lose any weight, and in fact it never has. But I enjoy it for its own sake, as long as I don't get too overly strenuous, which is not likely right now.
  #33   ^
Old Sat, Aug-22-09, 20:07
Registered Member

BF:

When I was 50lbs larger, I had breathing problems when I slept. Being active helped that along with the weight loss.

I slept better & my mind was sharper during the day.

I think toning is a good thing. Building muscle means a boost to your metabolism & helps keep bone mass. I wasn't so much of a weight lifting/ training fan at first, but a couple times a week, I try to do something. It makes a difference too.

**note**
I avoid the scale like the plague when I've been doing extra weight lifting, lol. It screws with my head to see that scale go up, even when my clothes are looser.
  #34   ^
Old Sun, Aug-23-09, 08:59
Registered Member

Plan: Zone, IF
Stats: 220/170/160 Male 67 inches
BF:25%
Progress: 83%

I've never been good at controlling my appetite. Consequently I'm perpetually overweight. I use exercise to battle my bulge. Yesterday I ran my 50th marathon, give or take a couple. My first was in 1986, the Arbor Day marathon in Littleton, CO. Today I'm about 50 pounds lighter than I was before taking up running. Last weekend I had a physical assessment done by a trainer. His opinion is my cardiac ability is excellent but I'm twenty pounds overweight.

The assessment included the VO2max test which has been around since the '60s. It says while jogging I'm still burning 35% carbs. I did a dozen marathons while in ketosis, with the idea of forcing more fat-burning. The only result was I became a slower runner. For yesterday's race, every two miles I took carbs in the form of fruit, cookies or potato chips. Marathons done in ketosis always meant a 'death march' for the last 2or 3 miles. This run I did the final miles at a faster pace than the first miles.

If I didn't overeat, I wouldn't be heavy. If I weren't heavy, I wouldn't need exercise. IF I lost those 20 pounds, would I be done with running marathons? Probably not because the root problem, my appetite, is unchanged.
  #35   ^
Old Sun, Aug-23-09, 10:23
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorK
I've never been good at controlling my appetite. Consequently I'm perpetually overweight. I use exercise to battle my bulge. Yesterday I ran my 50th marathon, give or take a couple. My first was in 1986, the Arbor Day marathon in Littleton, CO. Today I'm about 50 pounds lighter than I was before taking up running. Last weekend I had a physical assessment done by a trainer. His opinion is my cardiac ability is excellent but I'm twenty pounds overweight.

The assessment included the VO2max test which has been around since the '60s. It says while jogging I'm still burning 35% carbs. I did a dozen marathons while in ketosis, with the idea of forcing more fat-burning. The only result was I became a slower runner. For yesterday's race, every two miles I took carbs in the form of fruit, cookies or potato chips. Marathons done in ketosis always meant a 'death march' for the last 2or 3 miles. This run I did the final miles at a faster pace than the first miles.

If I didn't overeat, I wouldn't be heavy. If I weren't heavy, I wouldn't need exercise. IF I lost those 20 pounds, would I be done with running marathons? Probably not because the root problem, my appetite, is unchanged.

Yikes. My goal was to start running....after all the weight was off, that is.
May not do that now.
  #36   ^
Old Sun, Aug-23-09, 12:25

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 235/175/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorK

Hmmmm, have you read Good Calories, Bad Calories? I have found that with my children, what they eat has very little to do with what they weigh. The child who eats the most is, at this present time, 5'1 and 70 pounds. He eats about a half dozen eggs for breakfast, and equally absurd amounts for his other meals. My heaviest child is the one who demonstrates traits of being a carb addict, but doesn't eat very much per se. Then again, my most muscular child is no more active than the rest and certainly never has worked out but has had washboard abs since she was 3 or 4.

Our bodies are far more complicated than the "experts" would have us believe. I probably don't take in nearly as many calories now that I eat VLC as I did on a SAD, but I eat a lot of calories nonetheless.

Anyway, it surprises me that your appetite is the same while running marathons as it is during more sedentary times -- I would have guessed you have a larger appetite while training and running as when we burn more, we tend to be hungrier.

Losing 50 pounds is incredible though; congratulations on that. Since running is catabolic, I wonder how much that has to do with it as opposed to "calories in, calories out." I wish there were more honest studies on this whole subject.
  #37   ^
Old Sun, Aug-23-09, 14:12
Registered Member

Taubes had nothing much to say concerning exercise. It's the only weakness in the book, imo. He looked at comparisons of office and factory workers, noting while the factory workers burned a lot more calories, they tended to eat more and weren't thinner than office workers.

If I'm running 50 miles per week, I still need to control calories or my weight will go up. If I'm injured and can't run, my weight goes up even though I'm watching the calorie intake.

How everyone handles calories is individual but I don't believe there's any free ride a la 'metabolic advantage'. My guess is the more we control calories, the more efficient we become at storing calories as fat.
  #38   ^
Old Sun, Aug-23-09, 14:53

BF:

I could have sworn that Taubes addressed studies done on prisoners and weight gain in the 50s -- when I get caught up on my reading, I'll reread it.

I don't think there's a "free ride" either, but I don't think a 400 slab of cake has the same effect on my weight as a 3 egg omelette with four slices of bacon either. The quality of my calories seems to make a lot more difference than the quantity.

That's why I brought up my kids -- the calories they take in don't seem to have much effect on their weight or muscle composition. However, the one who eats the most carb dense food is, by far, the heaviest. The one who eats the most calories, by far, is the most thin. The other two don't eat much in the way of vegetables or fruit, but the one who eats the fewest carbs is, by far, the most muscular.

I understand that anecdotes aren't data, but I find the whole thing of how our bodies actually process the incoming energy very interesting, and my kids are just good examples of same basic diet opportunities, extremely different body types.
  #39   ^
Old Mon, Aug-24-09, 00:11

Plan: atkins
Stats: 196/176/160 Male 5-9
BF:
Progress: 56%

Above is one of GTs takes on exercise and weight loss. It is a good read.

Last edited by steve41 : Mon, Aug-24-09 at 00:43.
  #40   ^
Old Mon, Aug-24-09, 09:03
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredangel
Hmmmm, have you read Good Calories, Bad Calories? I have found that with my children, what they eat has very little to do with what they weigh. The child who eats the most is, at this present time, 5'1 and 70 pounds. He eats about a half dozen eggs for breakfast, and equally absurd amounts for his other meals. My heaviest child is the one who demonstrates traits of being a carb addict, but doesn't eat very much per se. Then again, my most muscular child is no more active than the rest and certainly never has worked out but has had washboard abs since she was 3 or 4.

I have two brothers and one sister. My sister and I are phenotypically like our mom: short, stocky and plump. My brothers are like our father: tall and stick-thin.

So growing up we all ate the same food. I remember mom often yelling at my brothers to clean their plates, something she never had to do with my sister and I.

I think my dad and brothers turned food into energy easily, meaning they had efficient digestions. But mom, sis and I were inefficient. We weren't getting the signals telling us we'd had enough and consequently kept eating. Maybe we produced more insulin than dad. The insulin kept driving blood sugar lower, making us eat more to increase blood sugar and consequently increase our fat stores.
  #41   ^
Old Wed, Aug-26-09, 10:50
Registered Member

In my previous post, I may have it backwards. Mom, sis and I are perhaps MORE efficient at using calories, to the point of storing excess as fat better than dad or my brothers.

I had that thought last night while watching a documentary on latino orphans trying to reach the U.S. They were mainly thin, malnourished kids. But they focussed on one kid who was shorter and heavy. The other kids called him the chubby one. I doubt he was any better than the others at begging for food. Actually he should have been worse. Why give food to a fat beggar?

Assuming he wasn't taking in more calories than the rest of the orphans, why was he chubby? Did he parse his calories differently than the others, sending some to fat storage even though he wasn't ingesting enough to maintain himself?

Similarly, in photos of depression-era workers in a group, the men are uniformly lean with an occasional shorter, stockier worker amid the tall, lean guys. That guy must have eaten what the rest ate. Why was he heavier?

I know that Colpo cites studies which prove calories in equals calories out, debunking metabolic advantage. But that says nothing about where the calories are being sent, whether some might increase fat levels even when underfed.
  #42   ^
Old Wed, Aug-26-09, 11:02
Bound for Onederland

Stats: 239/188/199 Female 5 ft 7 in
BF:lil' bit, ok lots
Progress: 127%

LC Diets will help you get smaller but exercise is needed to reshape your smaller body if that is your goal.
A fav saying is
Follow Atkins: look better in clothes.
do Atkins and exercise: look better naked!
  #43   ^
Old Wed, Aug-26-09, 12:54

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapbookr
LC Diets will help you get smaller but exercise is needed to reshape your smaller body if that is your goal.
A fav saying is
Follow Atkins: look better in clothes.
do Atkins and exercise: look better naked!

I really wonder how much muscle composition has to do with genetics and diet as well -- I think a lot more than most people realize. I have one child who is very muscular. Crazy muscular. As in washboard abs since she was 3. When she moves, you can see every muscle expand and contract. Every part of her is just tight and muscular -- and she's 8. And she is certainly does not weight lift. And she is no more active than any of my kids.

I sometimes wonder if we set ourselves up to be discouraged when we try to have a body shape that just isn't naturally how our bodies want to be.
  #44   ^
Old Wed, Aug-26-09, 15:23
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredangel
I sometimes wonder if we set ourselves up to be discouraged when we try to have a body shape that just isn't naturally how our bodies want to be.

There is probably a lot of wisdom in this. It's just hard to figure out what shape my body wants to be when it's all covered in a thick layer of fat.
  #45   ^
Old Sun, Sep-06-09, 12:22

Plan: atkins
Stats: 196/176/160 Male 5-9
BF:
Progress: 56%

Quelle surprise! Exercise and weight loss