Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Dec-02-01, 10:06

Plan: low carb
Stats: 246.4/245.4/160 Female 5"8
BF:
Progress: 1%
Default For those of you fasting in the month of Ramadan

Just have a couple of queries.

Are you finding it difficult to drink your alotted water as we aren't able to eat or drink anything between roughly 6am and 4pm

How are you guys making sure that you eat your full carbs and consume enough calories.

Do you continue to eat till late at night

Has fasting had an affect on your weight loss and do you find that your bowl movements are a little less freqent and harder.

I've been fasting and although I'm on CAD I,ve found that drinking my water when I break fast isn't a problem but that my appetite for food isn't strong and because of this I tend to force myself to eat something later than when I would normally and I'm wondering if this is slowing down my wait loss as well as the fact that we are not eating during the day. Also my bowel movements haven't been to good and I'm wondering if i'm bunged up from not eating during the day

Just wondering if it's just me or are others who are fasting having the same problems.

When I faasted before I never had these problems because my appetite wasn't really supressed so when it was time to break fast I would eat ALL evening.

Thanks
Madihah
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-04-01, 17:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Smile Strictly Theoretical

Hi Madilah

I stopped fasting several years ago because I was such a carb-addict that I felt I could not fast. However my experience was that I never ever lost weight during Ramadhan - in fact if anything I would put on a few pounds. I put this down to too much food just before bedtime.

This year I have been toying with the idea but to be honest I have not done it so whatever I say here is purely theoretical.

The principle of fasting as I understand it is to turn thoughts, words and actions away from the mundane to slightly more spiritual matters with discipline and faith and the process helps to detoxify, to break free of addictions and self-indulgence patterns and strengthen both physically and spiritually.

I would not try to pack what I would eat normally into a night-time of feasting but eat two good meals or perhaps two meals and a snack if I could manage it. Anything else would put an enormous strain on my digestive and elimination systems.

I would however make sure that I drank my normal liquid intake. I am not sure if this will help you at all but it's my input.

Take Care.
Allah Hafiz
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Dec-06-01, 17:21
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 193/160/150
BF:
Progress: 77%

Hi, I'm not Muslim. However, one of the things that I've tried to keep me regular is one tbsp of flaxseed oil, and two tbsp of wheat germ in 1 cup of soy milk in the morning. So far, this has ensured one bowel movement per day. Good Luck and Happy (?) Ramzan.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Dec-06-01, 19:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178.5/160/150
BF:
Progress: 65%
Smile For those of you who fasting in the month of Ramadhan

Hi there

I think as long as you hv enough fat and protein in your meal and keep your carb intake as minimum as possible by not eating rice, instant noddle, wheat ...and another sweet suff that used to eat...etc. and only take the carb frm salad ang fruits... than you should okay, but make sure you drink a lot water. you may keep loosing weigh in this type of diet.
I drink a lot of mineral water, i know that some time you fill full when you drink two or three glass of water at one time so I avoid to sit alot after drinking water I just walk around the house to get the water down.
I hv no problem on my drinking pattern . To break the fast I drink mineral water one big glass and than I pray after that i start eating my dinner slowly as usual ( low carb intake) during and after eating I drink at least another 2 to three glasses . than go to the mosque nearby my house and pray again after that come home see tv show and before go to bed I drink another glass.
During Ramadhan in Indonesia we start fasting from 04:15 AM to 18:10 so we hv longer fasting period compare to you who stay in UK.

I still continue loosing my weigh in fact i loose my weigh faster during ramadhan.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Dec-07-01, 00:59

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 147/128/118 Female 5'3''
BF:?/18/17
Progress: 66%

Quote:
Originally posted by Fiona:
The principle of fasting as I understand it is to turn thoughts, words and actions away from the mundane to slightly more spiritual matters with discipline and faith and the process helps to detoxify, to break free of addictions and self-indulgence patterns and strengthen both physically and spiritually.

I am not Muslim either but I do fast once a month for a 24 hour period for the same spiritual reasons mentioned above. I also fast at other times for various spiritual reasons such as working out a problem or when I feel as if I need extra spiritual guidance.

As for LCarbing and fasting. When the fast is over, I don't try to "make up" what I have missed during the hours of fasting. I eat normally at the next scheduled meal. I don't overdo it. I do try to make sure I get plenty of water in but, again, I don't try to make up for what I have missed. For example, I usually drink up to 6L of water a day. When fasting, once the fast is over I pray and then the first thing I usually do is drink water. On fast days my water intake is between 2-3L.

Another interesting thing is that, though I am not fasting to lose weight, I have found that during fast days, my weight drops (naturally--because the body is purging itself w/o replenishing) to a new "low" point. When the fasting is over, it is as if my body remembers that it was at a lower weight and sometimes it kickstarts a small loss a few days later.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Dec-07-01, 07:31

Plan: low carb
Stats: 246.4/245.4/160 Female 5"8
BF:
Progress: 1%

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I started taking flaxseed oil 2 days ago which has really helped. Also this year for the first time I don't feel the need to make up for the food that I would normally eat during the period that I fast. I agree people do normally tend to over eat during Ramadan and end up putting on weight but here's hoping that the pounds continue to fall off.

Thanks

Madihah