Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Jan-11-10, 18:59
Registered Member

Plan: Groves/Paleo
Stats: 165/131/120 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 76%

Thanks for your insight. I finished my last dose on Friday, tested this morning and I turned light pink! When I had strep I also didn't eat a thing for 2 days, so I think this combined with the antibiotics caused the problem. I'm happy to be in the color making business again
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Jan-27-10, 16:15

Plan: VLC; no sugar;no gluten
Stats: 188.7/153.1/138 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 70%

~OP - I have days where my sticks barely turn and other days when they are very dark. During the day they change hue as well. I pretty much eat the same thing every day, so my carbs don't vary much. I am thinking it has something to do with the amount of dietary fat being burned, but not an expert by any means. I have read that not everyone excretes them through their urine but through breath or sweat as well.

~Kristine - ITA. I have also noticed this. Little quips here and there picking at the plans or foods people choose. They are not helpful comments for sure. Thanks for pointing this out. I will try to do the same.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Feb-02-10, 07:08

Plan: exercise / atkins / IF
Stats: 315/160/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Less and less!
Progress: 94%

I don't think certain people are being tacky or snarky about others' plans on purpose--just bluntly pointing out that low carb, PP, all of it...is about whole foods, not shakes and artificial, chemical laden junk that doesn't sustain you. So when people post saying they're frustrated, some of these posters are rightly pointing out "Um...here's why."
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Feb-02-10, 18:21

Plan: hunter-gatherer
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 5'6"
BF:breast feeding! ;)
Progress: 0%

right but the 6 week plan IS about shakes, :/
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Feb-02-10, 19:42
Dog is my copilot

Plan: paleo/lowcarb
Stats: 210/162/145 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 74%

It's not meant to be a permanent diet though. Although lots of people do incorporate shakes into their diet on an ongoing basis with no problems.

Since I started doing HIT I've been having a shake for lunch on training day, mainly because I train during my lunch hour and don't have time afterward for a real lunch, but also because it makes it very easy to get a lot of protein down (60+ grams) in one meal. My normal lunch is probably about half that.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Feb-04-10, 16:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/190.5/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 46%

Just my 2 cents.
When I test in the morning nothing, which surprises me I would think things would be more concentrated...
but as the day goes on, and I have drunk more and more water I get readings sometimes quite dark by evening.
The whole keto stick thing is confusing because some say it can be registering the dietary fat that you are eating and is just being converted to ketones. I would like to check a non'lowcarber though after they have eaten a lot of fats and see if they register anything...?
I would also agree that the antibiotic could skew your readings.
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Feb-27-10, 06:32

Plan: ulc-paleo(meaty goodness)
Stats: 175/165/140 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 29%

You probably just don't "leak" any ketones. A few months might be enough to stop if you've kept in ketosis for long periods before.