Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-21-07, 21:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 410/298.0/170 Male 5' 11''
BF:BF 40%, BMI 43
Progress: 47%
Default How did I end up a 100 lbs Overweight?

"How did I end up (more than) a 100 lbs Overweight?!!???"

This is a question asked by a low carb blogger considering how to he can be successful on a maintenance program now that he has lost a hundred. Reading it made me think about how I would answer the question myself.... For my own benefit. How would I consider doing things different (by identifying what I did wrong) doing it all over again? How will it affect my own maintenance program?

1.) Eating major amounts of pasta, bread, pizza, potatoes (major carbage), and just all around great food. Nice restaurants. Too many. Too often.

2.) Deserts. Ice Cream. Candy Bars. Cakes. Pies. Shakes. Malts.

3.) SuperSized Cokes (***LOTS*** of them).

4.) Sedimentary Lifestyle. Way less action and activity going on in my life than even a sedentary lifestyle!

5.) Second helpings.

6.) Third helpings.

7.) Snacks. Chips and Dips. Lots of in-between-meals MEALS.

8.) Figuring "Hey, I'm married with kids." I don't need to worry about being trim and fit anymore. "After all I'm not dating anyone at this point or looking to majorly impress anyone else or anything..."

Which I admit is really tremendously stupid. Cause once I got so large and I started having serious health issues I got shocked at one point and said "Hey, I'm married with kids" (and don't want to die - I want to be there for them!)!!! - I said the same thing, with opposite results!

9.) Dad was overweight, his dad was, and his dad was... so I am too (no bigee! It's in the genes!). Stinkin Thinkin.

10.) Drive Thru Eating B/L/D. "Supersize Me"

11.) Feeling hopeless. Thinking... "this is what my body does to me" (the slowest metabolism in the world!).

12.) Watching so many people diet and fail, regaining *above* where they were when they started.

13.) Apathy. Not really caring. Thinking of myself "thinner" in my own self image in my mind than I was. Ignoring the reality. Willfully Ignorant Bliss.

14.) Eating late, right before bed.

15.) Exchershize Shmexshershize. Who has the time? Went from walking and running 8 miles a day or so, and seriously lifting weights (at one point), to zip zero nothing...

16.) Thinking "Diets" were something you got on and off of.

What say you???
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-21-07, 21:42

Stats: 416/379/200 Male 6'-1"
BF:
Progress: 17%

ndurance1,
This is a great post--thanks for spelling it out. Every one of your points rang true to me--been there, done that. I think a lot of us tend to become very, very complacent and think that if everybody is doing it and eating anything they want, why can't we? I mean, the pizza box is there, it's hot and it's open with a few slices gone--who's going to notice it if we help ourselves to a piece? The problem is, once that line is crossed, then it becomes another slice, and another slice until the rest of that pizza is in your gut, causing havoc with your metabolism.

As for exercise, I've been a walker for a long time, easily putting in 3 or 4 miles on some country walks, but it helped only when you're eating the right foods for your metabolism. The times when I've been gorging on Piroulines and Nutella and trying to walk it off was a study in futility.

For me, LC foods allow me to gain control over the raging appetite and allow me some reason in taking the steps needed for my health. I know darn well that sugar makes me act in ways akin to a drug addict, and in my own experience avoiding it 100% has given me a whole new perspective. You can see my numbers creeping down, pretty slowly because of backsliding, but that's why I'm here, to get the inspiration needed to keep going.
Thanks again for some good points--
Lyle
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-07, 05:50

Plan: atkins
Stats: 335/245/200 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 67%
Smile

Isn't that the truth! All of them are true for me-were you reading my mind?
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-07, 07:45
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

I think the thing is, it was easy. At least for me. Very easy to be more than 100lbs. It came naturally.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-07, 12:50

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 215/158.6/145 Female 5'6"
BF:Follows Behind Me!
Progress: 81%
Default How??

Never weighing cause I didn't want to know how much I had gained. Thinking that being over 50 it was okay to just let it all go and look matronly. BTW this is a great thread.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-07, 16:13

Plan: Whole Foods Since 2/02
Stats: 360.5/174.5/200 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 116%
Cool Not just 100 pounds overweight, 160!

Very fun thread! I'm looking forward to reading the posts.

I made myself 160 pounds overweight by eating 3 large meals a day containing mosty sugar based foods--again, in mass quantity. With regard to my size, there was nothing I couldn't do, so it didn't affect my life for the most part.

Until I got to the 360 mark.

My size really bloated up at that point, to a size 6X (!) and I knew the Matterhorn at Disney was now off limits, sadly.

That was kind of a moment of realization for me I think, when there was SOMETHING I could NOT do! ARG! I mean, not fitting on one of the best roller coasters of all time--THAT, my friends, was A MOMENT!

I think it hit me because I've always been happy and well adjusted, fun loving and a JOY to be around at all times (I'm serious, really!). I never let my size stop me from ANYTHING. So when I found something I couldn't do, it hit me.

But at 360, it was getting difficult to fit into things (chairs, booths, cars), and getting into my dream car was completely out.

I didn't really make any serious attempts as an adult to change it til about 5.5 years ago, when I was at my peak weight of 360.

It was only when my health became important to me (as an adult moving toward a certain age--eh hem) that I took action. I also wanted to get my dream car, which at the time I couldn't fit into. THAT was a pisser--but a great motivator, too!

Two years ago I bought my dream car and have have plenty of room to spare!

Okay, keep em comin'.... --Betty

Last edited by TheBetty : Wed, Aug-22-07 at 16:14. Reason: left off a word
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-07, 23:02

Plan: Whatever works!
Stats: 245.5/235/140 Female 63
BF:Way too much
Progress: 10%

I gained 100 lbs after being sexually attacked coming out of a gym at work 20 years ago. That day I had stepped on the scale, so proud of the fact that after months of running in the morning and working out in the afternoon, I had finally hit 118lbs, I looked GOOD and I was a very happy camper.

After the assault, I gave up exercise. The weight crept on slowly, my portions got much bigger. I prided myself on never touching any fast food ever, I was the one eating the salads, real food. Well let me tell you, you can get real fat on 'real' food. Steaks, mashed potatoes, bread, pasta. Years of failed attempts at exercising, I actually hadn't dieted much at all.

Fast forward 20 years, what a waste of time huh? 2 failed marriages, a cross-country move, virtual invisability by men in general, no one wants to date a fat girl, I had a bad attitude and didn't care.

So what started me up again? I scared myself, started bingeing on Cookie Dough Ice Cream, literally 4 of them on a weekend, this was my 'wake up' call.

I had tried to do low-carb, but after losing about 25lbs, and people started noticing and commenting, I strangely sabatoged myself. Over 3 years, I did this several times. Enough counseling about fear of losing the weight and the correlation of being assaulted again was strong.

I am better, I had a month of not losing weight, I didn't sabatoge, I simply 'paused' I guess, and I'm back on track and headed down on the scales. I know when I lose this weight it will be for GOOD.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-07, 00:13

Plan: IBS Diet/Intuitive Eating
Stats: 321/194.2/199 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I think the number one reason I got to be 150 pounds overweight was my all or nothing thinking. I was either on a diet, trying to lose weight, or just eating whatever the heck I wanted, whenever I wanted. No in between. I was either losing or gaining, and most of the time gaining. I rarely went on a diet, and when I did, it didn't last very long, most of my life was spent in "Eat whatever you want, whenever you want" mode.

I didn't balloon up suddenly. I started gaining in 3rd grade (47 years ago) and it's been pretty much a slow but steady rise over the decades. Usually would put on about 5 to 8 pounds each year. Well, over 47 years, that really adds up! :-)

Of course, I would periodically try to lose weight, but always fail. And then I would feel hopeless and defeated and just go back to E.W.W. mode. (Eating whatever, whenever.)

Cathy
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-07, 06:45

Stats: 360/360/80 Female 5 ft 3
BF:
Progress: 0%

I love your post ndurance.

15 of your 16 points were identical to my life (I don't have kids).
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-07, 06:51

Plan: whole foods
Stats: 240/180/140 Female 63 inches
BF:too f'ing much
Progress: 60%

I am totally stealing "sedimentary lifestyle" since it's so true.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-07, 10:25

Stats: 281/210/200 Female 5'7.4
BF:44/34.12/34
Progress: 88%

What got me was when I met my husband I started eating like him, and I quit cycling, then my weight shot up to 180 from 155 then I had my child there's 100 lbs. I'm addicted to coke, dr. pepper ect. Bad habits are very hard to break especially when your family keep saying "try a bite it won't hurt you" I've gotten used to politely saying "no" or giving my husband the "look".
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-07, 11:15

Plan: whole foods
Stats: 280/166/167 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 101%

Using food to try to drown out my sorrows.

Didn't work.

Made it worse.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-07, 12:00

Stats: 274/243.5/150 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 25%

I was 135 when I graduated highschool 18 years ago. My God, has it really been 18 years? lol At the time I was very active in dance class and keeping fit. But towards the end of the year I got mono and would come home from school and sleep until it was time to go back the next morning. This of course killed my metabolism. By the time I was entering college I had already gained 10 lbs.

Where I ran into real trouble was my mind set. Ok, I weigh 145, but I wont go over 150. Ok, I weigh 155 but I wont let myself go over 160. Yeah, when I get to 160 I will do something. It was like this every 10#s. I would draw that line in the sand, leap across it, and instead of stepping back I would simply draw a new line.

What got me back up to where I am after losing alot? Guilt, and the self hatred that comes from guilt. After falling off the lc wagon, I was so angry at myself that I binged.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-07, 14:04
95% Sugar Free!

Plan: Very high fat LC/HCG
Stats: 310/155.4/159 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

Well I tell you, I think about this topic a LOT, since I'm a 2 time huge failure.
I lost 150 pounds in 92-93, put it all back on, then lost 150 pounds again in 97-98, all the while swearing I'd keep it off that time....
But didn't, put it all but 20 or 30 of it back on.
So for the last 8 years, I wouldn't even try dieting again, I was so convinced that I couldn't keep it off, so why even try? Why go through all that again?
Something had to be different for me to try again. There had to be a reason that would give me hope that this time I'd keep it off. Without that, I just could not muster up the motivation to try again.
Then along came diabetes, which when ignored long enough soon becomes severe diabetes and deteriorating health.
I was going to go for gastric bypass surgery.
My insurance would cover it.
But a 6 month medically supervised diet was required for final approval. I chose low carb, because I was more concerned about controlling my diabetes than I was with achieving weight loss, prior to the surgery. (Both prior 150 lbs off diets, BTW, had been low fat low calorie).

Eating low carb turned my health around so dramatically, while controlling my hunger and cravings, I know now that this is the way I will eat forever. I passed on the surgery to stick with this WOE. I'm almost grateful for the diabetes, because in a way, it turned out to be the answer to "what's going to be different this time?" I can't go back to my former way of eating, with all the carbage. I'll die.

I realize another downfall I had, was thinking of the diet as something that would come to an end. Mmmm, in those former diets, I so looked forward to the day I could eat my favorite goodies again. Every day was a test of willpower. That's not sustainable for the long haul.

The closer I got to looking like a normal person, the more I believed I was doing so good, surely i could allow myself to eat like a normal person? So then we have bohemian's pizza box example up there.... yep, me too. That slippery slope.

I accept now fully, that the way I eat now is the way I will eat the rest of my life. In fact, when people ask what I'm doing to lose weight, what diet am I on, I tell them I'm not on a diet. I just stopped eating crap. I didn't get fat over night, and it will take my body a while to reduce to being whatever size it will eventually be with the way I eat now. That really does mark a drastic change in attitude for me.

So I believe I'm going to make it this time. This will be the last time I lose all this weight. I'm still working on some food issues, like when I'm very upset or sick, the urge to console and reward myself with food is very strong, and I wonder if I'll ever be free of that. But at least I'm aware of it this time, and continue to look for strategies.

BTW, today is a milestone for me... my 1 year anniversary of low carbing, and 1 year anniversary of joining this board. I just became a contributing member to honor the occasion.
I've lost 92 pounds, I've been the whole 365 days cheat-free, got myself off 4 different meds for blood sugar, blood pressure and cholesterol, and have normal blood sugars.
This morning my fasting blood sugar was 92. One year ago, the day I began this journey, it was 271.

Last edited by MizKitty : Thu, Aug-23-07 at 14:09.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Aug-24-07, 02:47

Stats: 360/360/80 Female 5 ft 3
BF:
Progress: 0%

MizKitty -
What an inspiring story. I meet people with diabetes and I try to tell them about lowcarbing and what it can do for them, but they have all been brainwashed into high-carb, low fat diets by the medical profession, dieticians, etc and they just won't listen to me.

To me it seems smple: diabetes is a condition where you have a problem metabolising refined carbs, so why not give up the things that are causing you a problem?

It's hopeless here in England - peole are way too brainwahsed.