Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-22-13, 12:03
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320.2/302.8/130 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%
Default Struggling with Temptation

I am trying very hard to stay in induction. My cravings as I try to get back into thos w.o.e. are horrible this time around. My cravings are not being helped by the fact that people keep bringing in donuts to my bar prep class. I haven't given in to the temptation yet, but I want to. They smell so good. I want sugar and coffee so bad today.

I hope I can find the will to resist the urge. Any tips on what I can do?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-22-13, 12:32

Plan: M-F vlc, looser LC wkends
Stats: 353.6/244.8/165 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 58%

If you have a health food store near you, glucosamine supplements really help A LOT with sugar cravings!!

Also... best thing when you're craving things that are NOT on plan.. is to EAT, anything, absolutely ANYTHING that IS on plan. Don't worry about calories right now.

You CAN do this!!!!!

Even cheese and nuts are better the first 2 or 3 days, than NOT being able to dive STRAIGHT into induction eating. I often ease myself in like this, for the first 48 hours or so.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-22-13, 13:22
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Visualize mold and worms popping out of the donuts.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-22-13, 13:31

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Visualize the grains causing inflammation and consequently clogging your arteries with waxy cholesterol. Visualize the vegetble oil and the fructose in the sugar clogging up your liver, which then turns yellow and sickly.

Then think about having clear arteries and a healthy liver.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-22-13, 13:43

Plan: M-F vlc, looser LC wkends
Stats: 353.6/244.8/165 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 58%

Sorry, I just noticed my own brain-fart. L-Glutamine is what I was thinking and thought I had said, ... while typing something else to you!

Sorry! lol
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-22-13, 18:08
Triple digit loss

Plan: Dr. Bernstien
Stats: 352/206.8/175 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 82%

Haha Nancy_LC that is a funny trick never thought of it.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-22-13, 18:27
Triple digit loss

BF:

Take a pepperoni stick in with you with a water bottle and munch on that when you want something to eat at the class.

What I honestly have come too, is developed routine of asking myself "Am I hungry or craving?" "how am I feeling right now stressed, tired, angry, sad, lack of energy physically?" "Is it worth it?" "Is it worth delaying weight loss?" "Is it worth making my diabetes worse?" "Is it worth allowing this to control me?"

I run through my question list and the answer I receive from myself is "no". And it is not a mental "no", I am literally asking my "soul"/"self" and waiting for the answer and you can feel it in your gut.

And initially when battling the cravings. I stretched it out as much as possible before giving in. Then I learned to busy my self focus on anything I can to take my mind off it.

Then I developed my question list, I shared above.

Be creative with it...Everyone is different. Like do something you love to do.

I love to sing and dance. So I sometimes pick up my dogs and dance with them while i sing around the house.

Anything to place your focus on something positive that allows you to divert your attention to something else besides your craving.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-22-13, 18:36

Stats: 280/265.2/170 Female 5, 5
BF:
Progress: 13%

Be well prepared with lots of choices of things you CAN eat. And give yourself a goal. For me; I would do great for anywhere between 4-11 days and then I would "give myself a day off". Which lead to disaster each and every time. ChrisD, a wonderful person on this forum suggested I do a 100 day challenge. It seemed severe at first but I'm 45 days in and now I think...it's just 100 days of my life. Lose slow or whatever, I'm in it! And I doubt that I'll go head first into a plate of nachos on day 101. What I'm saying is having something very specific and goal oriented will help keep you on track. I also make goodies for myself and keep all kinds of stuff in my fridge so even if I'm staving...there is something I can eat in a hurry to calm any cravings I might have. Good luck to you!!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-23-13, 08:22
Registered Member

Stats: 320.2/302.8/130 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I managed to resist the donut yesterday and today I am prepared with salami and cheese to take to class with me. I just hope my cravings get a little less each day.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-23-13, 18:21
Triple digit loss

BF:

Salami and cheese sounds yummy! My company had a cook out today. They had a BBQ grill in cooking up hamburgers/hot dogs, pasta salad, chips, ect... Everyone was like come and eat. And I was like yeah no. Not time for me to eat yet and I don't want to break my diet. I was having hamburgers for dinner already. And I brought my lunch in as usual Steak tips and green beans.

I went out anyway, just to gab but I was starving. And I watched the guy grill. And I was so happy, I sat there getting hungry and hungry and just said no, and ground my energy. Then I said okay, I am going to leave now getting too hungry.

Then I left... No Cheating, No eating extra I shouldn't... Truly thrilled
  #11   ^
Old Thu, May-23-13, 18:25

Stats: 280/265.2/170 Female 5, 5
BF:
Progress: 13%

Kudos to both you girls for not caving! It gets easier and easier the longer you resist...stay strong! Eating Clean and Thinking Lean!!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, May-23-13, 18:48

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

I work in a Manhattan skyscraper and they had an ice cream social for the whole building in the lobby this afternoon. For some reason I felt weak and went down there. I walked around looking at all the stations of so-called food: ice cream sundaes, ice cream/root beer floats, ice cream cups, teeny weeny gourmet cupcakes. What saved me was that I remembered that if I had just one of those things I would be hungry for more until I fell asleep tonight! But I wanted something. So I opted for a large cup of fresh brewed, iced coffee, no sugar or cream. The "treat" part of it for me is that it had caffeine and I quit caffeine a few weeks ago. What I'm saying is I went for the lesser of all those evils, the one thing that wouldn't trigger a gnawing craving and possible binge. There are ways around temptation. You have to work out a lot of coping stragetegies for yourself. That was an example of one of mine. Hope it helps.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, May-24-13, 05:01

Stats: 217/145/143 Female 171cm
BF:
Progress: 97%

Best of luck with getting through each day. Some of us are doing a 7 days, clean eating challenge. We've found it had given us that little extra incentive to stay on plan for a day at a time. Perhaps you could join it with the goal of not eating sugar or wheat?

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...8&page=79&pp=15
  #14   ^
Old Fri, May-24-13, 09:37
Registered Member

Stats: 280/227/150 Female 5 feet, 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

There's nothing like looking diabetes in the face, newly diagnosed, to slap some sense into you.

I am 9 days into induction, and since induction, have lost 13 lbs.
The hunger is gone.

Yesterday, I was called unexpectedly to sit with a man in a nursing home, who was very difficult to handle. The dementia was so bad, the police were called, and he ended up in the ER for Psych Evaluation. He was sedated (as he needed to be) and I stuck with him from the NH to the ER, until his wife arrived, 6 hrs later. Whew! what a day! And then, I had to go shopping, before going home. What a set-up for needing some comfort food!

But I had quickly packed a lunch of lettuce, two hard-boiled eggs, 2 cucumbers, 4 oz of turkey breast, and mayo+Ranch. I put it on ice, and wrapped it in a thick blanket in my car. The car got hot, but my lunch stayed cold. That lunch was parceled out over several snacks, and then I picked up a bag of pork rinds while shopping.

Scales still sitting pretty on 258 this am. It's worth it!

Am I gonna cheat myself? NO WAY!