Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-30-17, 22:13

Plan: Personal Macros
Stats: 286.5/281.4/150 Female 5'2
BF:45%
Progress: 4%
Default Just Starting

Hello

I'm 35 years old and have been on low calorie, low fat, diets ever since I was 12 year old, hungry, fat-girl.
That is over 20 years of starving, overeating, and hating myself.
In my twenties I dropped 50lb by cutting out all sugar and processed foods and exercising 2 hours everyday. Then Halloween came and I said just one mini snickers. After that "one", I could not stop eating sugar. Coke, chocolate, cookies. I craved them, resisted, and then broke down and binged.

Fast forward to 2017 and I am gigantic. I could not control my hunger because it controlled me. Who thinks about chocolate chip cookies for three days straight until they break down and have "one"? One meaning half the box. What kind of crazy person does that? I kept saying I would quit drinking coke and then go back on a strict diet, but every time I got stressed there was a can in my hand and liquid sugar going down my throat, like a smoker puffing away at a cigarette.

Anyways, half way through August I read "Why We Get Fat." It sounded too good to be true, but I thought one week of low-carb eating will not kill me like all this weight is.

That was about one week ago and I have lost 5.1lb without starving or exercising to do it. I don't care if it is mostly water weight because I don't feel ravenous which is amazing. My acne is clearing up and I have more energy than I have had in years.

So hello to all you awesome people and thank you for your inspiration!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-30-17, 22:49

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

welcome and you read a good book! That's the only one I have listed in on my profile

Have fun and here's to healthy eating, or not eating
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-30-17, 23:34

Thanks thud.

Yes, it is a really interesting book. The part about the introduction of flour and sugar to native populations and the resulting obesity epidemic was a big eye opener.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-31-17, 05:41

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnackShark
...The part about the introduction of flour and sugar to native populations and the resulting obesity epidemic was a big eye opener.

This may or may not be true but it's good to get a fresh perspective on the way things seemed to have panned out. PS, if you have not finished it yet there's a suggested way of eating on the last few pages.

Here's to your weight normalization! Cheers
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-31-17, 00:18

Plan: Atkin
Stats: 147/131/110 Female 60 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

Why diets fail by Nicole Avena explains why just eating one treat is impossible, as anything which has sugar as an ingredient is as addictive as cocaine and that's why we can't stop at one sweet. I have read this but have continued to think I will just have one but I can't stop.
This restart of low carbing I will not be tempted as it is not worth it. Have a great lc day. 😊 Jools
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-31-17, 03:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jools16
Why diets fail by Nicole Avena explains why just eating one treat is impossible, as anything which has sugar as an ingredient is as addictive as cocaine and that's why we can't stop at one sweet. I have read this but have continued to think I will just have one but I can't stop.
This restart of low carbing I will not be tempted as it is not worth it. Have a great lc day. 😊 Jools

Will add that one to the reading list. Sugar just does some crazy things to the body. It really isn't worth the consequences and I'm not surprised that it is addictive.

Thanks JEY100! That is encouraging to hear. It seems like a very healthy way to eat. If it works as well as it does for hunger, I look forward to the day I can toss out coke zero and not want cookies and sweet fizzy drinks.

And thanks zoogirl! I'll check your journal out. The forums are really full of info, but digging looks like it is worth the results. It is really exciting to see people who are following low-carb lifestyles and reaping the benefits.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Aug-31-17, 01:58

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome SnackShark,
If you continue to follow the Duke Clinic diet in the back of Why We Get Fat you will even lose the craving for sugar. Seems impossible now, but eating the healthy Whole Foods becomes so satisfying that you can abstain completely from sugar, and the treats made with alternate sweeteners. You have found a great forum for more information, and support. All the best,
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Aug-31-17, 02:48

Plan: atkins 20
Stats: 127.6/111/110 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 94%

Woo Hoo Snack Shark, Welcome to the forum and better yet welcome to a new, healthy and fabulous WOE, you can feel very proud of your 5.1 loss, but also the choice you have made, you finally got it right lol...you will get tons of support here and great advise, sometimes you have to ask for the help, but poke around and read, read read and you will do just fine, I look forward to following you on this journey, best of luck to y, stop by my journal sometime, I love company, ttyl
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Aug-31-17, 04:46
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Hello and Welcome, SnackShark!
Quote:
Who thinks about chocolate chip cookies for three days straight until they break down and have "one"? One meaning half the box. What kind of crazy person does that?
In answer to these questions it was ME! ME! ME! Actually, I wouldn't even be FINISHED face planting into a carb-laden dish and I was thinking of my next "fix"! Yeah, Imma carb addict to the MAX!

It wasn't until I got sick and tired of constantly battling "Fat Jo" with decades of yo-yo dieting that I finally realized being morbidly overweight and getting older, I would be suffering the ailments associated with BOTH of those things if I didn't do something NOW... that was July 2013... Yeah, Imma slow learner... Anyhoo...

You've found a great home here, everyone is very encouraging, supportive and helpful!

Wishing you much success on your journey to better HEALTH!