Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-06-17, 18:32
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 308/285.1/199 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default Is it dangerous to combine low carb with very low calorie?

I can't find anything to specifically address this, but this board has taught me that much of what I have believed about nutrition is not true. I'll admit that I've been going pretty hard at this and I've lost 3-4 pounds a week (so far, it's early - I know that can't keep up) by having three or four days a week where I'm eating under 800 - sometimes under 500 - calories a day. I think I probably wasn't over 800 calories most of this last week, except maybe Saturday. I didn't plan it at first and I'm not really "counting calories' but it's been easy because I'm just not very hungry. Now, is this considered "Intermittent Fasting" or is it more than that? Am I likely to start losing muscle tone or developing any heart problems are whatever that go along with "crash dieting"? I honestly don't know how long I want to keep it up for, but the quick initial results are a very big boost to my confidence and committment.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-06-17, 18:43

Stats: 184.4/184.4/145 Female 5 4 in
BF:
Progress: 0%

Good Question
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-06-17, 22:04

Stats: 168/128/130 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 105%

I have been doing it for a few months. Its been natural so I am not forcing anything.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-06-17, 22:13
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

At your weight I wouldn't worry, eat according to hunger fat plus protein. If < 5% bodyfat then 600 calories a day might be harmful eventually, as that is considered a "fasting diet" or FMD. Current thinking is you shouldn't lose muscle or experience 'starvation mode' if you just don't feel hungry.

I have been doing fine on one or two relatively small meals a day, but I am trying to lose the last ten or so pounds. Ironically I went up 5 pounds recently doing this, but am still losing the stubborn belly fat I've had for years.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-16-17, 08:33

Stats: 184.4/184.4/145 Female 5 4 in
BF:
Progress: 0%

I think your calorie count could depend on your activity. I know myself that when I was working out 5 days a week I could eat 1500 calories and loose weight. I find now that I am not going to a gym (high level) but doing my walking 5lb weights and swimming (light to med) I can't eat 1500 calories I will gain weight. I find that the Atkins diet gives me what I need for energy allows me to do my workout, I feel great, happy energy.
Includes
1/2 bread
1 egg or cream cheese
1 fruit
Lunch
3oz chicken, Fish
Green salad 1 tsp mayo (only thing I like)
Supper
3oz chicken, fish or meat
Green veg 1 cup
Salad 1 tsp mayo( mix it real fast and the tsp is enough)
Snack at night
1/2 the bread

I have found eating the same with W/W diet and allowing myself as much fruit as I want. Allows the scale to gradually drop. This is wear I am most comfortable. You can see how most of this applies to a low carb diet. I have read 35 carbs is what I take in. Drink lots of water.
Just my thoughts
Loretta
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jun-16-17, 09:55

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by YNot
I can't find anything to specifically address this, but this board has taught me that much of what I have believed about nutrition is not true.

Please note that a lot of what you read on this board is not true either. Especially if you listen/read what I write Take everything with a grain of salt and use your own experience as a guide to find what you consider a truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YNot
...I didn't plan it at first and I'm not really "counting calories' but it's been easy because I'm just not very hungry. Now, is this considered "Intermittent Fasting" or is it more than that?...

In my view it depends. My current thinking is that intermittent fasting is more about timing of eating rather than how many calories. That kind of follows the definition of the phrase. If your 800 calories during the course of 24h were spread out eating 200 calories every 6 hours that wouldn't be IF the way I understand it. My random line is 12h for what I consider IF, most everyone does that if they don't eat after a standard dinner time of 6PM or so and sleeps a regular schedule.

I'd say let your appetite and how you feel be your guide for now. Pay attention. Loosing muscle fasting once and a while, doesn't seem to be happening for me but it would be hard to measure what I've lost via fasting to what I've gained being more active as I am lighter.

If someone knows how to measure that outside of a lab, please let me know! So for me, I don't go by others stories, myths and urban legends, I go by what I see in the mirror, my performance and where my "gut feeling" leads me, this could certainly be the wrong way to go about it tho.

Stories are helpful to Motivate and also Scare people. They are like knives; you can use them in the kitchen or on the killing field.

You are doing fine
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jun-18-17, 22:56
Grease is the word!

I hate the food dreams. Never get to eat a bite, and why always cafeteria style?
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jun-19-17, 10:40

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

If you eat very low carbs and become adapted to burning fat for energy, you will use your "on board pantry" (body fat) even while exercising and don't need extra calories. But do eat enough fat to keep you satiated and enough protein. For more on IF, check out:
https://intensivedietarymanagement....d-fasted-state/
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jun-19-17, 21:17
Grease is the word!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
If you eat very low carbs and become adapted to burning fat for energy, you will use your "on board pantry" (body fat) even while exercising and don't need extra calories. But do eat enough fat to keep you satiated and enough protein. For more on IF, check out:
https://intensivedietarymanagement....d-fasted-state/
Good article. I discovered I can't lose any fat without fasting periods even when eating low-carb. Perhaps this is why? In some people eating anything may cause insulin to release. Only had my 1/2 a grapefruit before lunch at 1:30 PM I was hungry and checked sugar 30 min later. It was 87, but I expected it would be higher? Ill test it tomorrow, before eating.

BTW: just checked mine three times 30 min before eating lunch at 2 PM: 83, 103 and 100. I agree snacking throughout the day may be a major fail when one is trying to lose body fat.

Last edited by mike_d : Tue, Jun-20-17 at 13:59.