Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-04, 17:24

Plan: SBD
Stats: 200/191/180 Female 5ft 7inches
BF:watch it jiggle
Progress: 45%
Default Slow as a Turtle Club

I'm looking for buddies who need others while they're stuck in a stall.
Let's see the slow and painful stages through together! Let's stick together during the slow loss stages... Any and All slow processes welcome here.

Lets encourage one another to stick with it and try new approaches to getting the weight off.

Hope to see some faces and posts soon :-)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-04, 18:29

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 283/179/150 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 78%

Hi Redhead!

I have been looking for a new group to join soon and this is perfect! I have been stuck at 198 for more than a month, although I think I have lost a little bit in the way of inches, but yes, it's good to know others who are right there alongside you!

I would love to be part of the turtles club. I think my downfall is fake foods and sometimes eating too much. (?) so I am trying to correct that so I can move forward into onederland.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-14-04, 08:00

Default Welcome

Hey Etoiles-

Welcome :-) I've been stuck for several weeks and usually when I start doubting the diet or the 'way', if you will I inevitably run into someone's stats that just blow me away. Person after person reaching their goal weight. I always wonder if I'll make it or not. It seems as though there are million and one different ideas on what can cause a stall or slow in weightloss. One thing I see all the time is no sugar alcohols.

I find this part of the journey to be the hardest. Sticking it through with a head full of doubt and confusion.

I noticed that you're from Chicago. I just moved from there. I was living in Ravenswood Manor and I've lived in Rogers Park and Wicker Park. I would imagine you're out getting a Chicago Dawg from time to time ;-)

How do you manage any doubt that you might feel while on the diet?
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-14-04, 17:12

BF:

Thanks for the welcome! I hope some others join, from what has been said in the TDC, we are not the only two with slowed weightloss!

It is inspiring to hear others you reach their goal. Also, I find it inspiring to hear of others who have also gone through similar stalls. This helps me think that eventually there will be an end to this. That is the main thing that inspires me, and just not wanting to go back to where I came from.

It does seem there can be a million different things that can create a stall and I think sometimes they are just inevitable. I do not consume that much sugar alcohols. Pretty rarely, in fact, and not for the whole time I have had this stall. So I'll keep on trying other things and just sucking it up through this!

Nice to meet another past Chicagoan! We moved up here not too long ago and it has been much easier to eat low carb up here than where we moved from (small town farm city!)

What have you tried to stop your stall?

By the way I did measure and in the last month even though I have stayed the same weight I lost .5" on each arm and .5" on each calf so.. go figure!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Feb-14-04, 19:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 195/180/120 Female 5 foot 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

Hi Everyone,
I guess I know what you mean, I have been at a stand still also. Well, I lost one pound in two weeks but I've stayed on the diet and still no real change. You know you have to keep convence yourself that it just takes time. I didn't get this overweight in a few weeks so it's going to take lots of weeks to get it off. I also noticed I lost in inches even if the scales really didn't change. My worst weight is in my tummy and in my face. I hate them both and it seems to be the last place I lose. But with the help of my friends and God, I know I will get to my goal some day. It's nice to see that I am not the only one who gets some discourged when the scales don't "add down" to what we expect. I guess some of us just have to work harder. :-(
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 10:32

Stats: 152/146.0/130 Female 64
BF:39%
Progress: 27%

Nice to meet all of you
I have been wanting to meet some supportive people for this stall situation Ive been going thru....I dont have a lot to loose compaired to some...but just as frustrating. I have really been watching the Carbs in my diet the last 3 weeks I have only loss 1 1/2 lbs. I find that when Im slow, I have more temptation to go off the program....even went to a weigh watcher/s meeting! I hope we can encourage each other thru this awful waiting. Thanks
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 13:51
Phoenixa

Stats: 164/136.6/132 Female 172/5'8
BF:Yes.
Progress: 86%
Smile Hullo!

Just popping in to say hi!

I'm at goal (my profile stated one is just an ultimately vane one, and I don't care if I don't reach it really) but had my fair and frustrating share of stalling (week 3-10 hovering like a helicopter) before some adjustments in my nibbling followed by a couple of great whooshes set my goal straight and my lip-corners curved upwards.

Just wanted to wish you folks best of luck and assure you that it can be done. Patience is the key.

Cheers,
/gil
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 16:36

Default Right the Way

Hey guys-

I just want to say that if you don't already know Gil she's a ton of support. I mean c'mon she was stuck for 7 weeks and survived and succeeded!! I rely on her for support all the time. :-)

That said- I too tend to venture off 'the plan' when things are not going my way as well. Why don't we challenge each other with something?

I propose that for the next two weeks we each try two new tactics to our weight loss. IE, for me, I will cut out all the adkins prepare foods, like the bread, cakes and ok even the candy bars!!! Yikes! The other pledge I will make is to get out and walk at least 3 times a week. I will also tune into a new way to nurture myself through the cut back... find a new way to 'treat' myself each day.

Anyone else in on this idea? I'm committing to the above, post yours now :-)
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 22:48

BF:

Hello everyone!

It is so nice to meet others in the same situation!!

Redhead - I think that is a great idea, trying out new tactics for the next two weeks. I have started today my new tactic, watching more calorie wise and no more low carb processed fake sweets (like my Breyers in the freezer ) - Have not had that the whole time on the stall though.

My hubby told me how much calories was in this breakfast thing he was making for me and my eyes about popped out so I'm going to eat somethign else less calorific and see if that makes a difference. I already have increased my exercise and do that daily so I don't think that is my problem.

Best wishes !
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 05:50
"Princess" of Norway

Plan: Atkins / Lindberg
Stats: 187/169/143 Female 162 cm
BF:Yes
Progress: 41%

Cool with another Turtle Thread !! I'M ONE !! Started Atkins July 28th - and to this day I have lost 20 lbs. I really and truly qualify ....... are YOU really a turtle ?? Check out this thread - post # 1. Could be a few helpful tips there. I've gone through all the points and some have indeed helped. Unfortunately most has not - or does not apply to me..... Either way, check them out !!

We must also remember what a stall really is...... at least 6 weeks without any movement in weight OR measurements ! Anything less is NOT a stall but merely our bodies adjusting to new weight and new regime.

(Just be patient they tell me....... Patience ?? I have a bad case of impatiencitis.....not the right person to talk about patience at all....why the heck must my body "adjust" all the time ???)

My weight has been hovering between 153 - 156 lbs now for almost two months - BUT I have lost inches here and there. According to the super programme www.mybodycomp.com I have lost fat and gained muscle. That's what keeps me going now....

My first real stall was after 3 weeks - I stalled - really stalled - for 8 weeks. I was sad and discouraged and found this forum. Thanks to the advice, friendship and support I did not fall off the wagon. I started using www.Fitday.com and it opened a "new world" to me. I was having an average of 15 net carbs aday. My calorie count was around 1100, which is far to low. I upped my carbs, my calories (if they're telling you calories does not count - they're lying. For us turtles they do count !!) and started losing again.... Very very slowly, but I can see a downward trend and that's what keeps me going . That and my fantastic supportive friends (among them the earlier mentioned Gilibel ) in here ! I will be forever greatful .... without this forum I don't now where I'd be !

Thanks redhead for starting this thread, great meeting you guys, think I'll enjoy this thread !!

Last edited by Nille : Mon, Feb-16-04 at 05:53.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 08:16

Default Thanks for added information

Hey Nille-

Thanks for posting all that info! :-)

I use the term turtle to describe where I am now- I didn't realize that it actually has some other group and definition tied to it- ahh well. Turtle is what I'm chosing to call myself now at this time in my journey. I'm still heading for the finish line just not as quickly as some others ;-) I understand that some people have had longer periods of no weightloss etc... but I needed support and needed a name for myself so that's how it all happened. I'm totally inspired by those who see the big slow through and succeed in the end.

I think you're looking terrific! I bet you're lifting weights- I would do that but my son is 6months old and 25lbs (bigger than 98% of all children his age) so that is my weightlifting day after day ;-) So I bet you're gaining some weight from muscle but slimming in inches. I know I'm not doing that... maybe I will make the move to my husband's work out bench but for the time being I prefer getting out for a walk... I know lame... but that's where I am now.

I've heard similar things about weightloss and calories. My mother is in her 50s and is on the diet as well. She did not lose a lot in the induction phase but then switched to lower fat meats- fish and chicken, then she cut back on some of her veggie intake (she was high in this area believe me) and "woosh" lost 3lbs. She thinks that her age is playing a big part in all of this. I also think that because she is so close to her goal weight that perhaps thats what is stumping her a bit.

I might work in more chicken and fish myself- but I find that I am more satisfied with the burgers and bacon etc... I think I'll keep a food log for the next 2 weeks and really watch what Im eating vs results.

Hey thanks so much again for all the links and advice!

So many theories so little time ;-)
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 09:32
"Princess" of Norway

Plan: Atkins / Lindberg
Stats: 187/169/143 Female 162 cm
BF:Yes
Progress: 41%

Hi there redhead !! (I'm also a redhead..... hair tied up in the pics, so not easy to see....have the frecles to go with it - AND the pale complexion !!) Thanks for the nice comment on my pic. Lifting weights Now THAT's a good one ! I did though - 5 years ago...... all my beautiful muscles has turned to big blobs of FAT !! I have this AB-slide thingy, which seems to have given me contours of abs again. My pot belly is getting smaller.... As for the pics, I've posted the worse I could find. Then I'll look SO much better in my final one !! So everybody can say WOW - WHAT AN AMAZING CHANGE !!! (A girl has to do what a girls had to do ... right ?)

My personal opinion is that anybody who lose less than 1 lb a week is a turtle. Regardless of what anybody say. I don't think persons who steadily lose 4 lbs or more are !! But of course they have the right to feel like it !! Losing a lb a day is not healthy either - so there !! Skin will sag.... I've also been told that the longer it takes to get it off, the longer it takes to gain again !! Don't know if that is true....

I also have this theory about "set point". The weight you've kept for a certain lenght of time is "familiar" to your brain and loss seems to stop at those points when your're losing again. I had a stall at 73,5 kilos - sounds correct !I've had some minor set backs now, and two years ago I was weighing 67-70 kilos for a loooong period of time. I fit into most of (if not all) the clothes I wore two years ago. My next set point is 55 kilos - 12 years ago I kept that weight for the longest time. I still have a dress and a pair of jeans + a few really cool suits and jackets from that time (you know - classic stuff that never goes out of fashion) - BUT my goal - and I consider that a realistic one - is 60 kilos, my shape has changed and I have accepted I might never get down to that weight. I'm getting older (ripe ol' age of 47 - funny I feel 25 !!) and my metabolsim has been on the blink for years. But if I do lose that much I will be very very happy !!

PS.... About the "set point" - read my journal - Gil belives it to !! And if she does, - I'm sure it's right !!

Last edited by Nille : Mon, Feb-16-04 at 10:08. Reason: Just remembered support to theory !!
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 10:20
Phoenixa

Stats: 164/136.6/132 Female 172/5'8
BF:Yes.
Progress: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly-Nille who's already soo cute on her present pic
My personal opinion is that anybody who lose less than 1 lb a week is a turtle. Regardless of what anybody say. I don't think persons who steadily lose 4 lbs or more are !! But of course they have the right to feel like it !!

Has anyone said that?!!! Give'm to me... I'll spank their butts off! (On second thought, that would be a very generous and practical gift, wouldn't it... Hey! Spanking, new-improved-turtle-treatment. Sorry for contaminating this thread... I'm in silly-mode today.... AGAIN!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly-Nille who's already soo cute on her present pic
I've also been told that the longer it takes to get it off, the longer it takes to gain again !! Don't know if that is true....

Well, I believe in that, firmly. The real Mc-Coy fat, that is what's been grouping for a long time, embracing our organs and tiniest "membranes"... (yup, I sound very amateurish here, I know... but it's just my Monday-night thoughts, right?) "Short-term-fat" is easier to shake. I, for one, gained 12lbs in a bad-eating/drinking-less-than-a-year, and it took a short time to shake - "surface fat" so to speak. The rest of the 12lb weight I eventually shook (word?), was deeper rooted, not "lard", more like "sturdy meat-fat" (Although I'm not the one to use as a role-model for that, so don't spank me, please. BTW, I have been heavier than my profile weight, up at 82+ kgs [180lbs+] earlier years... and NO, I have no digitalized pic of that gil-version...)

Sorry for intruding.

Keep up the good work, girlies!! (and men?)

/gil

Last edited by gilibel : Mon, Feb-16-04 at 10:34.