Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Nov-14-02, 11:15

Plan: CAD
Stats: 191/175/135
BF:
Progress: 29%

Mmmmm....both sound very good. I'll have to give them a try at the wedding I'm going to this weekend.

You may notice, once you start the Glucophage, that the alcohol is quickly absorbed. Think of it this way, though, it'll save money at the bar!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Nov-14-02, 12:46

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 300/240/150
BF:
Progress: 40%

I just noticed that the warnings say to not drink alcohol. Should I avoid it all together?
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Nov-14-02, 13:07

BF:

I asked my Pharmacist the same question and she said that the reason the warning is on there is because Glucophage is a Diabetic medication and that alcohol effects your insulin levels. Diabetics should not consume alcohol while on that medication. She warned me to "take it easy" and don't go overboard as the effects of alcohol are basically enhanced with this medication.

I try not to drink very often but sometimes there are those special occasions that call for a celebration.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Nov-14-02, 13:19

BF:

That makes sense. I also have High Blood Pressure and am taking diuretics and the warning label cautions individuals that take diuretics. I'll ask my pharmacist about tihs one. This is getting to be complicated!
joyce
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Nov-14-02, 13:23

BF:

Hopefully your Pharmacist can help make you feel more comfortable about it.

It is very confusing and the last thing that you want to do is make your situation even worse.

When are you starting the Glucophage?
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Nov-14-02, 14:29

BF:

I just took one my first one with lunch!
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Nov-14-02, 14:34

BF:

Let me know how it goes. Keeping my fingers crossed for you that this will help.
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Nov-14-02, 23:19
13.5 pounds to go!

Plan: GF, Mod. Carb
Stats: 375.5/163/160 Female 66"
BF:60/28/24
Progress: 99%

Hi ladies,

My OB/GYN became social friends while I was pregnant (she joined the group that I had been going to for 15 years... when she saw me at 12 weeks prego. with my trips, we became fast buddies... she even delivered them) aaaanyway... she's the one who prescribed Glucophage for me. She is the one in the practice that specializes in PCOS, since she HAS PCOS. She told me that I could drink while taking Glucophage, but not to get drunk.. because then I would get dehydrated. She said you do not want to get dehydrated while taking Glucophage... due to that whole lactic-acidosis thing. So, if I am drinking alcohol, I make sure to drink 2 glasses of water to every 1 alcoholic drink I have.

There's my 50 cents worth
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Nov-15-02, 08:46

BF:
Default subject has evolved to METFORMIN and LACTIC ACIDOSIS

Karen..

I read the precautions for GLUCOPHAGE and it mentioned something about lactic acidosis. Specifically it says:

"Metformin can rarely cause a condition called lactic acidosis,which can be fatal. Seek immediate medical attention if you develop any of the following symptoms of lactic acidosis: unusual tiredness (fatigue) or severe drowsiness, muscle pain, breathing trouble or rapid breathing, unusually slow or irregular heartbeat. Lactic acidosis is more likely to occur in patients who: have heart failure, kidney or liver problems; are elderly; use alcohol excessively; are seriously dehydrated (lack body fluids); will undergo x-ray procedures that require an injectable contrast drug; will have surgery ; develop a serious infection, heart attack or stroke; are over 80 years of age and have not had kidney and liver tests."

I found this kind of vague. What is it that METFORMIN does that causes LACTIC ACIDOSIS and how is it fatal?

Joyce
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Nov-15-02, 08:57

BF:

Thanks for the info! I will definitely have to keep that in mind....eek!
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Nov-15-02, 13:07
13.5 pounds to go!

Lactic Acidosis, in a nutshell, is when lactic acid accumulates in the blood stream at a faster rate than it can be eliminated.

People who have kidney and liver problems already are probably already pre-disposed to this condition, and if they take Metformin, it may make it worse. I don't think it has anything to do with the action it takes to help use insulin better, I would rather think it is a rare side effect.

Let's remember that it is a RARE side-effect (5 in 100,000) and unless you have liver/kidney problems already, you aren't in a higher risk group. The only thing I should note here, is that once diagnosed with Lactic Acidosis, it is fatal in 50% of the cases.

Here's a website that explains metformin and lactic acidosis better than most (more layman's terms)

Kisses,
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Nov-15-02, 13:35

BF:

I think I should get some blood work done again. I haven't since right before I started ATKIN's. Liver and kidney were fine. Everyone warns me about the potential dangers of ATKINs to the liver and kidney because of all the meat. Any truths?
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Nov-16-02, 23:39
13.5 pounds to go!

People say that you can damage your liver and kidneys by eating too much meat, because they think that our organs are taxed by processing too much protein... and not enough carbs... putting us into ketosis. A lot of people (including doctors) confuse ketosis, which is the body burning off it's fat storage, and keto-acidosis, where the body burns off it's fat storage, and the by-product, ketones, are not being eliminated, and start to accumulate. When this happens, the kidneys and/or liver can be affected. As long as you keep yourself well hydrated, and keep flushing out those ketones, you won't be at any higher risk for damage.

A personal preference of mine is once in ketosis, don't go too far over to the purple on the ketone strips... I always like to be light/moderate.
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-02, 08:45

BF:

karen..

i have never been in purple.. i have always been in moderate.. i always thought it was because things weren't working for me but i guess it makes sense that it wouldn't be because i was always drinking lots of water. to date i have lost almost 70 lbs. the weird thing is my endocronoligist (who along with my GYN) diagnosed me with PCOS and knows that i am doing atkins told me not to drink too much water because it's not really necessary. so i cut down a little and the weird thing is sometimes i dont drink much water and i still whizzle a lot.. is that why i have to keep hydrated?

joyce
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-02, 10:40
13.5 pounds to go!

The latest findings by the "medical powers that be" recently said (within the past year) that we really don't need 8 full glasses of water per day to keep well hydrated, that it's been exaggerated that people need this much water.

You are whizzing a lot because you are losing weight! I for one feel that I need all that water to keep things going, and flush all the toxins out of my body. You should do what you feel is best when it comes to water intake.

While I have you, are you taking potassium supplements? LCing tends to make us lose potassium, and I can always tell, because I get leg cramps. I take a regular 99mg potassium supplement daily while LCing.

One more thing....

70 pounds lost, way to go!!

Know that those 70 pounds have gone to someone who's teased you in the past