Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Nov-05-03, 01:18
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 223/201/175 Female 63 inches
BF:Want Some of mine?
Progress: 46%

I have also noticed that different candies affect me differently. One candy bar can send me to the bathroom, doubled over with cramps for 20 minutes (I too almost went to the ER because at that time I didn't know what caused it) and a different brand or flavor will have no effects. The fruit chews I have been buying recently seem to have no ill effects...buy them at Walmart...$1.29 a bag. They are simular to Starbursts.

As far as the "meal" bars and tortillas are concerned, if your body isn't used to a fair amount of fiber, too much can lead to problems also. You need to increase fiber gradually. One bar and two tortillas would more than a days "suggested" fiber. I have gradually worked up to 25-30 grams a day.

Jaimie

Last edited by DrmCorpMom : Wed, Nov-05-03 at 04:20.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-03, 08:29

Plan: my own
Stats: 115/115/112 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress:

I started this thread with questions about the possible long term effects of maltitol and other sugar alcohols. I had found this group while doing a google search on Maltitol effects. I will continue to research the SAs as it seems to me that something with such strong side effects, which produces intestinal bacteria which can interfere with the digestion of other foods, might, even in moderation, have subtle but long term consequences to our health.
If anyone here learns of anything, please let us know. Thanks, Carma
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Nov-08-03, 15:16

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 250/140/140 Female 5' 7
BF:?/28%/?
Progress: 100%

AJ,
The Advantage bars have lots of fiber. If you eat too many of them and are eatting lots of veggies, that could be the problem. For me, I eat 1 bar a day for the extra fiber - it's better than wheat bran! Take care and keep checking those labels
Marie
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Mar-11-15, 20:06

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 167/150/125 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress:
Default Your intuition is CORRECT

Please check out the information on this and many other links citing the scientific findings only just published in September and October of 2014. Artificial sweeteners of ALL KINDS raise blood sugar JUST AS MUCH IF NOT MORE than regular sugar and WRECKS YOUR GUT FLORA- predisposing you to all matters of metabolic dysfunction. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE stop using artificial sweeteners of any kind and get the word out as fast as you can to anyone you care about!!!!!

http://www.m.webmd.com/diet/news/20...ers-blood-sugar

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...betes-risk.aspx

http://news.health.com/2014/09/18/a...r-levels-study/

Quote:
Originally Posted by carma
I am very aware of the unpleasant gastro-intestinal symptoms frequently caused by maltitol and other sugar alcohols. I am wondering whether anyone has ANY information on the possible long term consequences of using maltitol and other sugar alcohol - sugar substitutes in their food.

I just have a feeling that using maltitol is not healthy and could lead to other health complications Anything with such a powerful gastro-intestinal effect might, down the road, have effects on our kidneys, liver, pancreas, metabolism, immune system, digestive system and/or who knows what. I don't mean to scare anybody with my questions, I'm just looking for some answers.

Maltitol is being used in more and more foods and I'm concerned that it's one of those things that could be dangerous for some people.

If anybody has any information regarding this or knows where I might be able to get information, I hope you'll let me know. Thanks so much for your help.

Curious and concerned, carma
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Mar-11-15, 20:55

Plan: Atkins/Taubes
Stats: 270/168/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjbird
Please check out the information on this and many other links citing the scientific findings only just published in September and October of 2014. Artificial sweeteners of ALL KINDS raise blood sugar JUST AS MUCH IF NOT MORE than regular sugar and WRECKS YOUR GUT FLORA- predisposing you to all matters of metabolic dysfunction. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE stop using artificial sweeteners of any kind and get the word out as fast as you can to anyone you care about!!!!!

http://www.m.webmd.com/diet/news/20...ers-blood-sugar

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...betes-risk.aspx

http://news.health.com/2014/09/18/a...r-levels-study/

Meh. While I don't doubt that it's probably not the best, these are all regurgitated articles about the same "survey", mice study and a whopping 7 person actual study. It isn't exactly indicative of end of the world. Did they JUST use artificial sweeteners, or were they packets filled with other crap? A lot of the time, people are using artificial sweeteners because they have already damaged their metabolism on sugar. It stands to reason that people on a 'diet' are doing so because of a problem that had already occurred, and to blame the diet is akin to blaming the firemen for fires, or cholesterol for arterial plaque. YMMV I suppose.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Mar-12-15, 20:22

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 167/150/125 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress:

Good point but I do hope the experts look into this study much further! Take care and take your probiotics!.. :-)
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Mar-13-15, 07:57
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I think sugar alcohols are actually fairly natural. They're found naturally in fruit, which is why when I was growing up we were warned not to eat too much fruit. Mother knew what it would do to our gut.

Biggest problem for us, other than the intestinal issues, is that it isn't really all that low carb. It is absorbed almost as well as sugar. Erythritol is far better. Doesn't cause stomach upset (in most people) and is excreted before it hits the lower gi so it contributes almost 0 calories/carbs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_alcohol

Last edited by Nancy LC : Fri, Mar-13-15 at 08:02.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Mar-17-15, 12:45

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/148/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 66%

Anything with this stuff in it wreaks havoc on my digestive system, so for me, the guaranteed discomfort isn't ever worth eating it.
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Mar-17-15, 14:15
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Ugh... super old thread someone bumped.