Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#346   ^
Old Thu, Oct-14-04, 09:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 199/177/135 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

Deneen I'm thrilled that you liked the cole slaw. My hubby loves it. Do you like Key Lime Pie ? My hubby loves sweets so I'm collecting all of the good dessert recipes for him. I tried two new recipes last week for Key lime Pie. Only one made the cut but it's really good. If you want the recipe let me know and I'll post it for you. You can also buy the Steel's brand of fruit and make all kinds of cobblers. Instead of dough for the topping I use 1 cup of ground pecans, 2 teaspoons of Splenda, 3 tablespoons of melted butter and 1/2 teaspoon of coconut extract. Mix the combination all together and scatter on the top of the fruit. Heat until bubbly and it's really fantastic. I'm working on several different versions so when I have one that passes the hubby test as the best I'll make sure I let you know. Good luck on your weigh in ! I'm staying on Induction for awhile. My hubby doesn't need to lose any weight but he eats low carb to help me. He says he's never felt better . He has had a problem with illregular heat beat for the last several years and as long as he sticks to lc his heart never bothers him. I started back on my treadmill yesterday. I slept much better and I always stay more focused when I exercise. Have a great day and I'll make sure I post some good recipes for you.
Brenda
Sponsored Links
  #347   ^
Old Fri, Oct-15-04, 06:55

BF:

Deneen here is the Pizza recipe I use. Everyone loves it so enjoy.

1 lb of Hamburger
1/2 of a medium onion, chopped
1/4 to 1/2 cup of pizza sauce ( watch the carb count)
Pepperoni, olives, green peppers, etc.
Mozzerella Cheese
Add your favorite toppings just like you would on a normal pizza. Keep track of the carb count of all of your toppings.

Press the hamburger on the bottom and half way up the sides of a 8x11 square baking dish. Bake it in the oven at 350 just until it's not pink. Remove it from the oven and soak up all of the nasty stuff off the top with paper towels. Put your sauce on the meat and add the toppings that you eat on your pizza. Make sure you add a little cheese in between the layers so it doesn't get too dry. Add cheese on top , put back in the oven and bake until the cheese is hot and bubbly. The carb count per serving depends on what toppings you use but this is usually very low in carb. If you are one of those people who just has to have the dough crust I suggest that you buy the low carb white bread mix and use it for your crust. I would only use half of the dough mixture for the pizza crust and the other half I would make bread sticks or rolls out of. The low carb bread mixes are good for making homemade bread crumbs. I don't use the dough for me because I still have alot to lose and I try to stay at Induction level. Hubby and grandchildren like the crust so I make one for me and my daughter and one for them. This recipe is even better heated up the next day.
I'm doing really good this week on my treadmill. I'm walking 45 minutes everyday this week and next week I'm going to increase my time by 15 minutes. After several weeks I'm going to start using my Bowflex three times a week again. I've decided to see how much I can lose before next summer. I've decided to go for 10 pounds at a time. Does anyone want to join me ? I figure it will be easier to stay focused if I set smaller goals. Has anyone tried the Dreamsfield pasta ? Everyone I know loves it !! You can't tell the difference. If you are to the point you can have pasta every now and then this is what you should use but be careful it's so good you can easily overdo it. I hope everyone has a great weekend. Stay busy and remember we are all in this together. Deneen let me know what you think of the Pizza.
Brenda
  #348   ^
Old Fri, Oct-15-04, 06:58

BF:

Deneen I forgot to tell you that the hamburger crust will shrink up a little and pull away from the sides of the dish. I didn't want you to think anything was wrong when this happened.
  #349   ^
Old Sat, Oct-16-04, 12:02

Plan: atkins
Stats: 308/260/175 Female 5 ft. 6 in.
BF:
Progress: 36%

Brenda,

Guess what. Had to make more coleslaw this morning as I only got a partial serving the first time I made it (made 1/2)batch the first time. In the grocery store D and SIL both said "Did you get the stuff for the coleslaw?" Big winner in this household.

The pizza recipe sounds great.; just copied it down, sound like supper tomorrow night.

Stillhaven't got the Spanish Rice stuff from the store -- the 2 year old raised cain for some reason (no nap) at the store so I said I'm done let's go home. Planning on going solo today back to the store. Goodies for grandma.

Sounds like you are doing great on your exercising. I've only been soing 1.25 mile on the treadmill - about 22-23 minutes. Plan to start the treadmill in the mornings from now on and add WATP at night after "C" goes to sleep. Exercise is a much better idea then watching the Iron Chef on the tube. Really need help on the upper body (over the head) and right now WATP will be the easiest and most logical for me to try to fit into some type of regular routine.

10 pounds at a time sounds good to me. Actually 10 pounds off sounds great to me.
  #350   ^
Old Sat, Oct-16-04, 12:06

BF:
Default more

Long winded me ran out of space.

By the way, I'm sticking to induction as close as I can right now as I really have a whole lot to lose. So girl, let's lose this luggage 10 pounds at a time and keep each other motivated.

Going browsing for a while and look forward to hearing from you again.

Hey Everyone! Come join us 10 pounds at a time.

Deneen
  #351   ^
Old Mon, Oct-18-04, 10:01
Registered Member

Plan: carbohydrate addicts
Stats: 177.5/177.5/155 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress:

Hello!
Just have to try the coleslaw and pizza. My guys are so picky about their food, I would have to make the pizza just for me. Have you tried spraying your 9x13 dish with Pam then adding quite a bit of mozzarella cheese for the crust, adding pizza sauce (not much watch for carbs) adding pepperoni, sausage or whatever toppings you like and then adding more cheese? It is delicious! I'm a real pizza freak.

Tonite I'll make taco salad for my RM. That is a real hit at my house.

Have hives today so missing work. Been on M.D. this morning for hives and going to "arthur" doc at 12:30 for joints. Routine visit tho thank goodness. What a miserable time!

Have a good week ladies! I think drinking the 72 oz of water is really helping me. (64 oz + 8 oz for each 25# you need to lose)

Later,
Linda
  #352   ^
Old Mon, Oct-18-04, 17:02

BF:

Hi Linda, I'm sure you'll love the clow slaw and the pizza. I haven't found anyone yet that doesn't like them. Sorry about the hives. I know how miserable they can make you. My arthritis has been a great deal better since I started back on my threadmill. Hope your day gets better. Keep in touch.
Brenda
  #353   ^
Old Mon, Oct-18-04, 17:49

BF:

Brenda,

Spanish rice for supper tonight is definitely a winner. Forgot the green peppers but will add them next time.

Hope you are having a great week. Trying all those LC recipes.

Deneen
  #354   ^
Old Mon, Oct-18-04, 17:50

BF:

Brenda -- almost forgot -- had the pizza Sunday for lunch YUM.
  #355   ^
Old Tue, Oct-19-04, 08:18

BF:

Glad you and the family like the recipes. I have a really good Sheppard's pie recipe. If you don't have one and the family likes Sheppard Pie let me know and I'll post it for you. I tired a fantastic fish recipe last night. My hubby said we can have it anytime.
Fish Fillets with Tomatoes and Black olives

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
10 Black olives, pitted and chopped
2 plum tomatoes, chopped
2 garlic cloves. chopped
1/2 cup of white or red wine ( which ever you perfer)
pinch of hot red pepper flakes ( optional )
4 tablespoons of butter
2 pounds of red snapper ( I used catfish & it was fantastic )

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat until it's very hot.Add onion and olives. Cook stirring occasionally, 3 minutes, until the onion is transparent. Add the tomatoes, garlic, wine and red pepper flakes. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for about 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, melt butter in another large skillet over medium heat. Cook the fish ( in batches if necessary ) 2 minutes on each side or until lightly browned, Pour the tomatoe mixture over the fish, cover, and cook over a medium heat 3 to 4 minutes, just until the fish is cooked through.

I served this dish with a nice Ceasar salad . Some fish dishes have a strong fish taste and smell but this doesn't. There are 3.5 net carbs per serving and this recipe makes four servings. The recipe is easy to double for a larger group as well. All of our friends love this . Let me know what you think.
  #356   ^
Old Tue, Oct-19-04, 19:07

BF:

Brenda,

Recipe sounds delish but will have to wait until I next go home SIL is allergic to fish. Husband loves to fish (me too) so will have something fresh to make it with.

Hope you are having a great LC week.

Got on scale today and wished it was the real scale day -- will probably be a higher weight on Thursday just to depress me.
Oh well.

TTYL.

Deneen
  #357   ^
Old Fri, Nov-05-04, 13:24

BF:

Musicmama how are you doing ? I haven't heard from you in awhile. I hope everything is OK. I tried a new meatball recipe the other day. You sprinkle your hamburger meat with a package of Taco seasoning and form your meatballs around a chunk of your favorite cheese. I used mild cheddar. Make your meatballs a litttle bigger than a golf ball and bake on a cookie sheet at 350. These are really good and only .5 carbs a meatball. My husband really liked them. Let me know what you think. Have a great weekend.
Brenda
  #358   ^
Old Sun, Nov-28-04, 22:53

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 325.4/228/175 Female 5'7
BF:mostly!
Progress: 65%

Just checking in. Havent been Lcing very faithfully, and fell into a severe depression. Finally went to the doctor, and she did a complete blood workup on me. I was so amazed,,,my cholesterol was wonderful!! She was thrilled, asked me what I had been doing. I told her I had been playing around with Atkins,,and she said STAY WITH IT!! She even gave me a copy of the bloodwork ,cause she said I should be proud of it! I am perfectly healthy, other than a poor body image that causes depression, So, she gave me medication for that. I am doing better, started back on the WOE yesterday, strong and strict. I figure, its gotta help the body image thing, and I feel so much better on the plan. It made me feel great to know that I am healthy!
You recipe sounds wonderful, Im gonna try that!! I got one for ya,,,,
I made this for thanksgiving,,,call it Chili Cheese Log..

1 8oz pkg cream cheese softened,,
4 cups cheddar cheese
1/2 c chopped pecans (or any kind of nuts really)

Using hands, mix together and form in a long log on foil. Roll in chili powder till covered well. chill. Cut in slices and use for snacks. I am not sure what the carbs would be,,,but not much I am sure,, Its wonderful to keep in the fridge for a quick snack.

Well, gonna go grab some turkey,,,glad to see your post!! Im back,,,not making any promises this time, taking one day at a time! One meal at a time if I have to do it that way!! Keep the recipes comin!!
  #359   ^
Old Tue, Nov-30-04, 06:53

BF:

Hi Musicmama,
Great hearing from you ! I also have been having a hard time keeping really strict. The weather here is unusually cold and damp so I've had to go back on my Celebrix . It always slows down my weight loss. The house has been full of family for weeks and we have been working really long days with our daughter trying to get the new store ready for opening. We pushed the grand opening back to the 10th of December so we could all slow down a bit. I had to move my treadmill and bowflex out to the garage to make room for family that was visiting so naturally with the cold weather I haven't been using either. I can tell not only by the way my clothes fit but by how lousy I feel that I've gain weight. I got up this morning to an empty house with the exception of my hubby and I got the house back in order yesterday so I'm back on track. I had a wonderful time with all of the family home but it really takes it's toll after a few days. My daughter-in-law went on Atkins a few months ago and she has gone from a 3x to a size 16. She looks fantastic. I made her a huge cookbook with all of my recipes. She is going to start exercises now so I'm really anxious to see her again at Christmas. Taking one day at a time is the easiest one to go. Good luck!! I'm going to see how much weight I can lose by Christmas.
Brenda
  #360   ^
Old Tue, Nov-30-04, 11:49

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 325.4/228/175 Female 5'7
BF:mostly!
Progress: 65%

I can relate!!! Our kids were here for the week of Thanksgiving too. Little kids everywhere (and we have a small house!!) food everywhere. Finally after they all had left, I told my husband...I love my children and grandchildren, all 13 of em, dearly, but Im so glad they all went home!! hehee Guess we are old and set in our ways. My youngest daughter complains that I never have any granny type snacks for the grandkids...wellll,,,granny would eat em!! As it was I made a chocolate Texas sheet cake with fudge icing,,,,uh huh, you guessed it,,,she and I ate most of it, with a big glass of milk!! Talk about sick the next day!!
Yeah, Im gonna see how much I can lose this month too,,might as well, not having a big dinner for Christmas. I have been charting everything in fitday , and watching calories closer. Yesterday was just under 1500, with 15 grams, so Im doing good.
Speaking of the cookbook you compiled,,,you could sell em!! You'd make a fortune!!
Well, gotta go get dressed, I slept in today cause I was up late reading the boards last night to stay motivated. Keep posting, great to be back in the gang!!