Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-14-18, 12:44

Plan: Atkins Concept
Stats: 225/190/175 Male 70.5"
BF:
Progress: 70%
Default Erythritol (comments welcome)

I'm not a huge sweets guy, but there are some circumstances where sugar, or honey or agave is needed to make a certain "thing".

I simply never liked ANY artificial sweeteners until sorbitol, but not only is that kind of high carb, it can cause gastro problems if you eat much of it. It tastes great, but comes at a price.

I've tried Stevia, and it was waste of money...anybody want mine? It might as well be the original Sweet and Low for me, its just as empty in flavor and an insult to my taste buds. Some people like artificial sweeteners, I know, I have known people who order a diet Pepsi with a cheeseburger and fries, and when I ask, "what the heck?"...they tell me they like the flavor better than real sugar soda. It must be a genetic thing or something, because it is night and day for me (I was never a big soda drinker but when I did, it was the real deal, never diet...yuk!, I'd rather have water)

So, shopping at WalMart, I decided to check out the Atkins snack and sweet section, and chose a lower carb choice to try. Like 2 net carbs for 3 wonderful pieces of candy. When I saw the math, I was reminded of some stuff I had read (among the voluminous stuff we read when we go on these diets)...it was the sugar alcohols that knocked down the carbs radically. These candies, well, they taste like chocolate with caramel inside...if someone gave me one unwrapped, I would never suspect it of being part of a diet line of products. I have only eaten one at a time, just to revel in how "these are diet snacks?"!

I've read of allergic reactions and gut problems. I'm aware of them, but I am open to any opinions.

I started looking around for sugar alcohols and this comes up on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/NOW-Foods-Er...%2Balcohol&th=1

I'm intrigued. My quick research tells me it is less reported to have gut problems. It is not recommended to use the GMO or cornstarch based stuff. But the product in that link says Non-GMO pure Erythritol crystalline powder. It doesn't say certified organic, but the company that makes it seems proud of their bona fides.

Some say it doesn't dissolve well and ends up crunchy if you try to bake with it and its hard to dissolve in liquid. But if it behaves like sugar, there's no reason it could not be broken down as a simple syrup or more finely ground at home.

My wife on the zero sugar diet says no for her, she refuses to use any fake sugar because some believe it tricks the brain and packs on as much weight as sugar. I'm not buying in to anything completely..."research" has proven wrong over time on so many things. Some also say its because fake sugar doesn't satisfy in the body like real sugar and makes people overeat in reaction. I'm sorry, I have control of my face, I can decide what to shove in it...I think. We all splurge; I mean on a regular basis I think I can control myself for the purpose of the goal of weight loss and maintenance.

Please chime in. Positive or negative.

Here's an article: https://draxe.com/erythritol/
Sponsored Links