Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Thu, Nov-01-07, 03:20
Registered Member

Plan: Swed LCHF by Dr Dahlquist
Stats: 196/174.2/150 Female 5'5''
BF:
Progress: 47%

Peruse, what is that? I can look if I may.

It's 1 gram/kilo lean body weight (goal weight) that I need, huh? How much fat can I eat? I have to figure out a way to eat fatter meat. I have the problem that I don't like chicken skin or fat. There's some strange taste to it. My mother raised hens for egg production and I think either I might have over done it, or her cooking chickens tasted differently. Maybe it's the corn and grains in modern feeding facilities...

I have the same problem with pork fat . I need to eat more lamb, grassfed beef and stuff. Oh, dear. Another thing to figure out.

By the way. I'm thinking it way have been the water, after all. It's too early to say, but the scale is looking better now, and I also feel more slender. Waist has lost inches. Eating more cannot have had much of an impact already, but I have been drinking more water for 5 days now.

I have to go tend to my son now. I'll get back to y'all as soon as I can...
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Nov-01-07, 09:08
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Quote:
Peruse, what is that? I can look if I may.

Yes. Just let me know and I'll put the MPPLAN button back so that people can use it. (Don't look at yesterday--I ate 3 Atkins candy bars-I was having a bit of an issue )

Quote:
It's 1 gram/kilo lean body weight (goal weight) that I need, huh?

That sounds a bit low--150 pounds is about 68 Kilos, which is only 68 grams of protein. If anything that would be the minimum you would want to eat. But if I only ate 68 grams of protein a day, I'd be starving to death. I usually eat average 110-140

Quote:
How much fat can I eat?

I usually average about 45-65% fat, always around 30% protein and my carbs are usually around 10-15% depending on the day

Quote:
I have to figure out a way to eat fatter meat. I have the problem that I don't like chicken skin or fat. There's some strange taste to it. My mother raised hens for egg production and I think either I might have over done it, or her cooking chickens tasted differently. Maybe it's the corn and grains in modern feeding facilities...

I hear you on the chicken fat--I think it has something to do with processing and what they feed them. I find chicken fat kinda gross and rubbery even when crisp. I usually up my fats by using real butter, a tsp of coconut oil in my coffee every morning, eating avocados and nuts and such. I don't get all my fats from meat. (and pork fat--not grease- is gross to me too)

Quote:
By the way. I'm thinking it way have been the water, after all. It's too early to say, but the scale is looking better now, and I also feel more slender. Waist has lost inches. Eating more cannot have had much of an impact already, but I have been drinking more water for 5 days now.

I knew in my heart if you just stuck to plan correctly you'd be seeing some kind of difference. Remember--if it's not coming off the scale it's probably coming off somewhere else. Did you read that article link I posted earlier. That may also help you reconcile your worries.

Talk to ya later today!!
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Nov-01-07, 11:10
Registered Member

BF:

OK. 110-140 I can live with. I think I'm in that area now. Can you see my MyPlan?

The 3 days I've been recording have been
C 4 5 4
P 27 26 31
F 69 69 65
and 2000 kcal.

I'm eating more now than before. Maybe that's what's been wrong all along. Or maybe The scales are not really moving, just fluctuating. My waist feels slimmer now, but not at all during the 6 week stall. I think the biggie might have been water, though...

I's suggested everywhere that I eat the chicken skin (like it's some sort of treat!) but if I didn I'd be suffering. I'm going to buy some nice entrecôte for this weekend, and it's cheaper if I buy alot. I will

I read it, but very unfocusedly, on the subway from a poor print-out. I'll read again.

Hubby has been quiet for 2 days!

Theresa
  #34   ^
Old Thu, Nov-01-07, 11:57
Every day is day one

BF:

Quote:
Can you see my MyPlan?

Nope, not yet. Go into MYPLAN and on the right there should be an option EDIT SETTIGS. Go in there and at the top should be PRIVACY OPTIONS. I think you choose the one the states that others can view. I'm going to go do it right now for mine and let you know if thats the right one.

I'd up my carbs a bit--are you only eating 4-5 carbs per day. If that's the case, that pobably means you're not getting in any veg. You need your vegs. And you can up your protein a bit too.

What's entrecote?

Quote:

Hubby has been quiet for 2 days!

Is is mouth stuffed with chicken skin??
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Nov-01-07, 14:08
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnmLisa
Nope, not yet. Go into MYPLAN and on the right there should be an option EDIT SETTIGS. Go in there and at the top should be PRIVACY OPTIONS. I think you choose the one the states that others can view. I'm going to go do it right now for mine and let you know if thats the right one.

Done. I should have done that long ago. I found an extra column for carbs minus the fiber and that feels better. I'll stay around 20-25 total carbs and 15-20 net carbs because as of now that seems to work.

Quote:
I'd up my carbs a bit--are you only eating 4-5 carbs per day. If that's the case, that pobably means you're not getting in any veg. You need your vegs. And you can up your protein a bit too.

Those were percentages. I eat 20 carbs (15 net) and 120-150 grams of protein.

Quote:
What's entrecote?

I would have to find a translation for that. It's a cut of meat from bovines, that's really marbled fatty and nice.
Wikipedia:
"In French, the word entrecôte denotes a premium cut of beef used for steaks and roasts. Traditionally it came from the rib area of the carcass, corresponding in English to the steaks known as rib, rib-eye, club, scotch fillet, or Delmonico, or to the roasts known as standing rib or prime rib. The term is now also used for the sirloin cut known as contre-filet, being the portion of the sirloin on the opposite side of the bone from the filet, or tenderloin. In English, a steak cut from the contre-filet is known variously as a striploin, wing, club, Delmonico, New York, Kansas City, Porterhouse, or strip steak when separated from the bone, or as a T-bone or Porterhouse steak when left on the bone with the filet."

Quote:

What a horrible thought!
  #36   ^
Old Thu, Nov-01-07, 15:24

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

It looks good!
  #37   ^
Old Thu, Nov-01-07, 15:38
Registered Member

BF:

JAnn, you are looking in my MyPlan, or? I'm trying to fill it as best I can but this morning I had a real problem. I looked up mayonnaise. In MyPlan I only found tampered versions, none whole fat. Is that for real?
  #38   ^
Old Thu, Nov-01-07, 15:49
Every day is day one

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAnn
It looks good!

I agree, it's looking pretty good.

Quote:
In MyPlan I only found tampered versions, none whole fat. Is that for real?

Apparently--you may need to put your brand in as a custom food.
  #39   ^
Old Thu, Nov-01-07, 15:58
Registered Member

BF:

I went home to the fjords in the fall of -88. Back then, I remember being dumbstruck by the fact that our Kroegers had the hugest fruits/vegestables department, but it was basically void of shoppers. But the ile of breakfast cereals, packed! I was very amazed by the fact that so many yoghurts vere labelled 98% fat free, it sounded like a joke. But the family I lived with, had "normal" food, to me. Butter, normal mayonnaise, regular bread, vegetables, fruit. And Mom made all the food. But I also remember her being the only of her friends to do so.

But is it really so bad that you can't find a jar of Hellmans that has not been de-fatted in some way?

In Sweden we don't have all that many brands. And for some reason all of them have water in them, making them 80% fat. There's also 2% carbs, at least in the one I'm using. There's more in other brands. Does that have to be there (vinegar, mustard, eggyoke) or do they press modified starch into it?
  #40   ^
Old Thu, Nov-01-07, 16:23
Registered Member

BF:

Hmm. Findus äkta majonnäs...
It contains :

rapeseed oil (canola?)
water
egg yoke (4,5%)
mustard seeds
clear spirit vinegar (ättika)
white pepper extract
thickeners (E401, E412, E417)
cajun pepper
preservative (E211)
vegetable oil
colourant (betacaroten)

Why doesn't this list end right after "white pepper" but before "extract"? Is all that stuff really necessary? And I bought it last week. Does it really have to last until may 2008?

Should have warned. This was a rant...

Last edited by Fnyfniken : Thu, Nov-01-07 at 16:24. Reason: typos
  #41   ^
Old Thu, Nov-01-07, 16:47
Every day is day one

BF:

Rant away.

I totally agree!!

Try finding things without the dreaded soybean oil, high fructose corn syrup, modified food startch, flavorings.....I could go on forever. I've thought of making my own mayo but I use it so sparingly a small jar of mayo lasts me like a year (so yeah! I guess for me my mayo does need to last until 2008 )

Luckily here in the states there are grocery shops such as Trader Joe's and Whole Foods and other speciality food-type stores that are more in tune to providing more organic-type foods. But even in these stores it's hard to find the things I want without the additives.

Entrocote---heaven!!!

Quote:

What a horrible thought!

I know., but I couldn't help it. My bad!

Last edited by cnmLisa : Thu, Nov-01-07 at 17:18.
  #42   ^
Old Fri, Nov-02-07, 03:27
Registered Member

BF:

double post

Last edited by Fnyfniken : Fri, Nov-02-07 at 03:59.
  #43   ^
Old Fri, Nov-02-07, 03:59
Registered Member

BF:

Sorry for not responding earlier. I had to go to bed because I had a hard day ahead. My 24 hours attending my son. He is not yet in day care, and is a handfull!

Here just about everyone "trusts" the food agency to look out for us so people who buy only organic are in a very small minority, and often considered "weirdos". Also, we have been flooded with propaganda from the EU Agricultural Organisations that organic is no different from toher foods, just more expensive. Yeah, right. Big Money talks again...
Like I've been trying to find just one brand of stock that does not have msg, but even in small health stores it's not available. It doesn't exist. Food agency says msg is harmless so why bother.

I can't stay long. Today is hubby's day off (his son) so I care for him today. He does not tolerate mother sitting still at computer. He hardly tolerates her drinking a cup of coffee...

Oh, and it seems to be going in the right direction, although I'll know for sure in a week or two. I'm now into virgin territory regarding to weight. I did weigh this little once last month, but that was after another bout of food poisoning! That does not count!
  #44   ^
Old Sat, Nov-03-07, 05:31
Registered Member

BF:

OK, so my lunch yesterday had room for improvement. 2 ounces of toasted, salted macadamia nuts. That didn't seem to slow weight-loss, though (might be temporary) because I'm down one whole pound and some more today, without my morning break in the bathroom, so to speak. I think I'm a little dehydrated. Maybe too much salt. It still feels great.

Tonight hubby and I are going out to eat. It will be a buffet kind of thing, but you never know with hidden carbs. I'll just avoid the obvious.
  #45   ^
Old Mon, Nov-05-07, 04:50
Registered Member

BF:

I "recovered" quite well from the splashing night out with a 7 course menu, which subsequently contained 7 different glasses of alcohol, too. Albeit very small.

It wasn't any obvious carb bombs, like bread, mashed potatoes, heaps of fries or anything. It was like: artichoke purée (about 2 tablespoons) and my guess is that it contained more fat than carbs ;-). There was some ice cream at the end but basically a tablespoon of it, also of crême brulée (with goats cheese!) and a tiny fried apple. the 7 courses were very small and it all amounted to the same amount of food I'd normally eat for dinner. + alcohol.

I gained 2 pounds (hardly all fat tissue) and today I had lost half a pound again. And, yeah, it WAS worth it- I had no cravings or any problems afterwards either...