Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-10, 09:44
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titania
Luckily I don't seem to have any major issues with wheat and/or gluten, except for monster - and I mean monster! - cravings.
Phase 1 of SB felt so liberating, I found it easier to just go cold turkey rather than trying to control myself/my craving.
I think I'll be researching the issue and possibly get a hold of the book, but for the time being I'm experimenting a little. So far I've tried a small serving of rye bread once a day, at different times and with different associations, and it doesn't seem to cause problems.
The bread I'm using is not made of flour, it's the German one where you can actually see the grains.

I'm bumping this up for Titania to see how her use of wheat may need to be reviewed. This is a problem!!!
Wheat ( whole grain or otherwise)does cause cravings to overeat in me. I had to eliminate it from my diet in general.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-10, 15:21
Independent Thinker

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 198/186/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Some people crave what they are allergic to. I don't know why that is, but it seems to be true. No scientific evidence, just anecdotal
  #33   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-10, 05:29

Plan: south beach
Stats: 161/150/135 Female 5.4
BF:
Progress: 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
I'm bumping this up for Titania to see how her use of wheat may need to be reviewed. This is a problem!!!
Wheat ( whole grain or otherwise)does cause cravings to overeat in me. I had to eliminate it from my diet in general.

Judy, I'm not sure I see your point.
When I said "no major issues" I meant it ironically, knowing all too well that craving IS an issue, albeit not really a health concern in itself.
My recent experience in weight gain has further demonstrated that I need to stay away from wheat, as it gets out of control very easily.
I also find that eating something wheaty in the morning is a lot less damaging than it is the rest of the day. Eating it in the evening is total disaster, I go to bed with a black hole in my stomach and can't sleep until I eat something
The problem is clear, the solution is there... it's just a matter of implementing it
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-10, 07:51
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titania
Judy, I'm not sure I see your point.
When I said "no major issues" I meant it ironically, knowing all too well that craving IS an issue, albeit not really a health concern in itself.
My recent experience in weight gain has further demonstrated that I need to stay away from wheat, as it gets out of control very easily.
I also find that eating something wheaty in the morning is a lot less damaging than it is the rest of the day. Eating it in the evening is total disaster, I go to bed with a black hole in my stomach and can't sleep until I eat something
The problem is clear, the solution is there... it's just a matter of implementing it

Yes, I knew that its not major issues as in being celiac.
But I also find that it held a door open for me to overeat and eat things that aren't good for me. I found that I get achy and fatigued easily when eating it too. Not to mention the addictive nature of it also.
For me, its easier to not eat any wheat at all rather than to eat it at certain times of the day as getting the gluten out of my body just feels better overall.
  #35   ^
Old Sat, Mar-20-10, 10:28
Registered Member

Plan: Archevore
Stats: 168.5/161/145 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

How long gluten-free before you felt the changes (less fatigue and achiness)? I pulled up some websites and realize my husband has several symptoms related to gluten sensitivity. If I approached him with a "trial period", how long do you think it would take for him to notice a difference if gluten is what is making him feel bad?

Last edited by Lyndee : Sat, Mar-20-10 at 10:29. Reason: I can't spell...
  #36   ^
Old Sat, Mar-20-10, 12:17
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndee
How long gluten-free before you felt the changes (less fatigue and achiness)? I pulled up some websites and realize my husband has several symptoms related to gluten sensitivity. If I approached him with a "trial period", how long do you think it would take for him to notice a difference if gluten is what is making him feel bad?

IMO, 2-3 weeks off all gluten should give him some good feedback.
Good for you for doing some research.
  #37   ^
Old Wed, Sep-08-10, 11:01

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 135/123.0/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

Just purchased the book you referred to Judy. I've had the blood tests and my gliadin antibodies are normal, but I am convinced I have a sensitivity/intolerance to gluten. The book should be an interesting read. Thanks!
  #38   ^
Old Wed, Sep-08-10, 18:37

Plan: south beach diet
Stats: 220/206/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 20%

I love the burrito bowl from Chipotle! I always say no rice, but I always get the beans 50/50 black and pinto. What is wrong with having the beans?
  #39   ^
Old Wed, Sep-08-10, 21:34
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by lahuffman
I love the burrito bowl from Chipotle! I always say no rice, but I always get the beans 50/50 black and pinto. What is wrong with having the beans?

There is nothing wrong with having beans.
Where in this topic does it say anything about beans being bad or wrong?
  #40   ^
Old Wed, Sep-08-10, 21:36
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradise
Just purchased the book you referred to Judy. I've had the blood tests and my gliadin antibodies are normal, but I am convinced I have a sensitivity/intolerance to gluten. The book should be an interesting read. Thanks!

While I am not 100% gluten free, I am totally wheat free and I believe that it does help me a lot. I am mostly gluten free.

I hope that you find what you are looking for.
  #41   ^
Old Thu, Sep-09-10, 07:30

BF:

Quote:
There is nothing wrong with having beans.
Where in this topic does it say anything about beans being bad or wrong?

I was responding to the restaurant list on the first page. She said something about not getting the beans and it left me wondering if there was something I didn't know. Turns out my question for that post appeared on the 3rd page of responses and just seems very out of place!

To the gluten free topic: I used to nanny for a little girl w/ celiac she was so sensitive to gluten it can't even be in her shampoo, soap, sunblock, she can't touch play doh, etc. She gets violantly ill just from skin contact, it doesn't need to be ingested. I was shocked to find out how many non food products have gluten in them!

I have not gone gluten free, but I do limit it greatly. I still have my pb and j sandwiches but found a whole grain sugar free bread to have them on. I switched to brown rice pasta so I could still enjoy my favorite food.
  #42   ^
Old Thu, Sep-09-10, 07:39
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
I was responding to the restaurant list on the first page. She said something about not getting the beans and it left me wondering if there was something I didn't know. Turns out my question for that post appeared on the 3rd page of responses and just seems very out of place!
Ah, I see! Many who responded to this thread don't follow South Beach. The person who gave us that list is more Paleo and she doesn't eat beans/legumes at all. South Beach encourages us to eat them twice a day.

Quote:
To the gluten free topic: I used to nanny for a little girl w/ celiac she was so sensitive to gluten it can't even be in her shampoo, soap, sunblock, she can't touch play doh, etc. She gets violantly ill just from skin contact, it doesn't need to be ingested. I was shocked to find out how many non food products have gluten in them!

I have not gone gluten free, but I do limit it greatly. I still have my pb and j sandwiches but found a whole grain sugar free bread to have them on. I switched to brown rice pasta so I could still enjoy my favorite food.

If you are having any issue with losing, you may want to knock out the whole grain bread to see if it helps. Do they put "sugar free" on the package? I have never seen bread with sugar in it anyway.
Have you heard of Ezekiel flourless sprouted grain bread? I get it in the frozen section of my local health food store and if and when I have the desire for slice of toast, that is what I eat.
  #43   ^
Old Fri, Sep-10-10, 11:36

BF:

Quote:
Ah, I see! Many who responded to this thread don't follow South Beach. The person who gave us that list is more Paleo and she doesn't eat beans/legumes at all. South Beach encourages us to eat them twice a day.

If you are having any issue with losing, you may want to knock out the whole grain bread to see if it helps. Do they put "sugar free" on the package? I have never seen bread with sugar in it anyway.
Have you heard of Ezekiel flourless sprouted grain bread? I get it in the frozen section of my local health food store and if and when I have the desire for slice of toast, that is what I eat.

It specifically says sugar free. Every other bread I have found at the Grocery store has some sweetner in it either sugar or high fructose corn syrup. They all do it Wonder, Pepperidge farm, Arnold, etc. The one that is sugar free is 100%whole Grain by Nature's Own. They make a regular whole grain and the sugar free whole grain.

I was having slow weight loss until I cut back my caffeine intake and then it started to come off at a nice rate.