Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-09-02, 18:38
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 179/145/140
BF:
Progress: 87%
Default Flavor Extracts

I've been wanting to add new flavors to the recipes I have, that have good texture but no flavor. Does anyone know where I can either order (and have shipped to Canada) or purchase (at a store in Toronto) flavor extracts that are unsweetened?

Frontier is a popular brand in California that I used to use, but I haven't been able to find anything but vanilla since I've arrived.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-09-02, 20:54

Plan: My own
Stats: 265/265/200 Female 5 foot 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I guess it depends on what kind of flavours you want to use. If you are looking for something for dessert type things, Watkins makes great flavour extracts-coconut, lemon, maple, caramel, cherry etc. Try a web search for Watkins products. I am not sure if this is a Canadian or US company but they have some nice products.

Glenda
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-09-02, 21:02

Stats: 171/147/125
BF:
Progress: 52%

Bulk Barn carries a line of flavour extracts called LorAnn. I just posted about them recently in another thread about chocolate extract. They have tons of flavours. They are unsweetened and they're very concentrated so you only need a tiny bit. They come in little tiny bottles.

Here's their website with the list of flavours they make:
LorAnn Flavours
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-10-02, 09:55
Registered Member

Stats: 179/145/140
BF:
Progress: 87%
Default Thank you..one more question

I just picked up a few unsweetened flavors from Dominion (Coconut, Almond, Anise). They are alchohol based, would you say that, that could have a negative impact on a low/no carb eating plan?

Thank you
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Mar-10-02, 11:00
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

No, the alcohol is so minimal that I wouldn't worry about it. You might try looking for for Boyajian natural extracts at gourmet food stores. Two of the places I can think of in TO that you could call would be Sen5es and All the Best Bread/Cheese.

Boyajian They are the best I have found and the flavour is amazing. A little goes a long way, and most of the time, a few drops is all that is needed.

Here is a link to a post on them: Natural Extracts

Also, Kay Star White Chocolate Extract is dynamite too!

Karen
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Mar-10-02, 16:44

Stats: 375/285/200
BF:
Progress: 51%

GALLOWAY's in Vancouver has many different flavor extracts. I was looking for pineapple extract for the longest time, and finally found it at Galloway's.