Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-02-02, 13:23
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 179/145/140
BF:
Progress: 87%
Default Deli Meats and Bacon

After looking around the forums for a bit, acquiring snack ideas, it seems that a lot of people are eating deli meats/ham/and bacon.

It seems to me that since all deli meats (that I've come across anyways) are cured in some sort of sweetener, they could hamper the results that some of you are trying to accomplish.

If anyone knows of any deli meats that are in fact sugar free, I would love to hear about it, because that would be an easy addition to my snack regime.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-03-02, 11:58

Plan: atkins
Stats: 179.6/179.6/144 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Not an expert

I know what you mean about snacking, I think that when meat is cured it is done in one big chunk so that the process does not permeate the meat completely but seals the outside of the meat so it doesn't spoil so quickly.
The carb count for most prepackaged meats is written on most packages or you can ask the deli person for a label or atleast to look at it for the counts of stuff you order. I have heard that the cooking process in bacon does burn off the sugar, but that may be too good to be true.
I like to cook my own meat (it last better than packaged stuff) cut it thin and put a little flavoured cream cheese and green onion and roll it up and eat it or microwave it for a few seconds and eat it with a knife and fork. If you slice boneless skinless chicken breasts in two pound them flat and cook up several at a time they make a quick snack too, just add some sour cream, a little low carb salsa, or even some salad dressing (ranch and feta or good) and there you have snacks that will get you through those snack attacts. They can also be wrapped around cheese and ham and microwaved, add a little mayo flavoured with some herbs and you've got something to munch on the will fill you quickly.
Yours Truely Jo-Ann
P.S. this type of eating is a never ending learning process. I know that there are certain foods that will lead me to binge and certain ones that cause me too stall. You may have to experiment for a while before you find out what works the best for you. Good Luck.