Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-13-14, 00:17

Plan: 30 g carbs/day
Stats: 220/180/150 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%
Default Paleo, Weight Loss and Fruit?

For any Paleos out there who have significant weight to lose (or did), how much fruit do you generally eat?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-13-14, 14:03

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

I ate (and still eat) only ~1/2 cup berries and ~2 tomatoes and 5-10 avocados per month (all are botanically fruits). More than that makes me hungry and feel like binging.

Last edited by deirdra : Fri, Jun-13-14 at 20:56.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-13-14, 14:11
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

I eat a lot of tomatoes if you count that as fruit, I don't.
I also eat avocadoes daily and don't count that as fruit either.

I eat asst. berries in a smoothie a few days a week. I enjoy a pear or orange once in a while. I rarely have a banana or mango and love both. I love cherries and haven't had them yet this season.

For weight loss though, I think that fruit consumption depends on your level of IR.

Hope this helps!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-13-14, 17:34

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

It's very individual. I ate no fruit whatsoever for the first 6 weeks of weight loss. Currently I eat fruit maybe 3 times a week. Small bowls of berries, an apple, orange, avocado or a pear don't cause problems. Unfortunately I'll gain wait instantly on grapes and cherries. The only fruit I will not touch under any circumstances is the poor old banana because it might as well be bread, the starch content is so high.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jun-14-14, 03:32

Plan: AIP (autoimmune paleo)
Stats: 235/185/165 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 71%

I've lost most of my weight eating no fruit at all (well, sometimes avocado)

I dramatically increased vegetables and added 1/2 cup of berries pretty much daily in March, but haven't lost a lot of weight since then (about 10 pounds) - but my overall carbs went way up from mostly the veg, not the fruit. I felt great though, I really think my body thrives on real whole foods and the nutrients in vegetables in particular. (I have to hold myself back from saying "our bodies" not just "mine" because I know there are a lot of people on this site who happily eat extremely restricted carbs for very long periods - but I have my doubts this is really healthy at a cellular level).

For the summer, I'm stopping strict low carb and moving more towards paleo/primal (no grains, no legumes, no sugars, but no restrictions on veg, some fruits, some dairy at least when I can get excellent quality). I do NOT expect to lose any weight eating this way, though. I do expect to maintain my losses (within about a 5 pound range, if previous experience holds true).

My personal experience is that to lose I really do need to be ketogenic (low carbs, moderate/low protein, and lower overall calories). I plan to return to that level of restriction and lose another chunk of weight in the Fall, but I have a big project I'm working on right now and just can't find the strength to focus on both that and dieting right now, plus then will be traveling for 2 months with my 2 young kids - and just getting basic healthy foods into us will be challenging enough!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jun-14-14, 05:31

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisMama
For the summer, I'm stopping strict low carb and moving more towards paleo/primal (no grains, no legumes, no sugars, but no restrictions on veg, some fruits, some dairy at least when I can get excellent quality). I do NOT expect to lose any weight eating this way, though.

ParisMama: that's exactly how I've been eating for quite some time. It might encourage you to know that it is possible to lose weight this way but unfortunately it requires the dreaded "portion control", which I guess is really just less calories. It's important not to feel hungry or deprived, of course, but I've found that eating less protein gets the pounds going again (e.g. smaller steaks; normal portions of cod instead of my usual whole, huge thing; one egg and 2 slices of bacon, instead of double that etc.).

Even if you only maintain with the new direction you are taking, you will be doing enormous good to your body with the natural, nutrient-dense foods you choose and the harmful ones you're eliminating. Good luck!

BTW, a 10lb weight loss in 3 months is an achievement to celebrate because it's permanent!! The same 3 months could have gone by with no weight loss or a yo-yo - like it probably did for almost every non-low carber you know.

Last edited by Whofan : Sat, Jun-14-14 at 05:39.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jun-19-14, 14:32

Plan: AIP (autoimmune paleo)
Stats: 235/185/165 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 71%

Thanks Whofan, useful feedback!

I was disappointed in myself for not dieting up until the minute I leave for vacation - I stopped about 3-4 weeks before.

But now I'm kind of glad, I've done my "go crazy" on fruit days, had piles of nuts, many yogurts, all the low-carb stuff that was restricted on AIP and Wahls and now I'm feeling like I'm ready to be sane and stay the course longer term - it's actually been really good for me to loosen up a little while still at home, because good food choices are so much easier at home, even if I overdo it I'm easily able to make a better choice the next time I eat. (I often just say "what the hell" when I'm off plan otherwise!)

Maybe I will have days/times where I'm willing to restrict portions, but I doubt it.

I'm actually at peace weight my decision to stabilize my weight for summer. In fact, I think it will be a tremendous accomplishment.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jun-19-14, 14:46
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisMama
Thanks Whofan, useful feedback!

I was disappointed in myself for not dieting up until the minute I leave for vacation - I stopped about 3-4 weeks before.

But now I'm kind of glad, I've done my "go crazy" on fruit days, had piles of nuts, many yogurts, all the low-carb stuff that was restricted on AIP and Wahls and now I'm feeling like I'm ready to be sane and stay the course longer term - it's actually been really good for me to loosen up a little while still at home, because good food choices are so much easier at home, even if I overdo it I'm easily able to make a better choice the next time I eat. (I often just say "what the hell" when I'm off plan otherwise!)

Maybe I will have days/times where I'm willing to restrict portions, but I doubt it.

I'm actually at peace weight my decision to stabilize my weight for summer. In fact, I think it will be a tremendous accomplishment.

Sometimes in life, its just too damn hard to stay so strict to see weight loss. I commend you, ParisMama, for seeing and accepting your reality and making a good choice for yourself.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jun-23-14, 22:27

Plan: 30 g carbs/day
Stats: 220/180/150 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%

Thank you so much for the info, everyone.