Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-13, 16:15

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%
Default The Great Cholesterol Myth Supplements/Interview

Anyone interested in Cholesterol likely knows about the new book The Great Cholesterol Myth by Dr. Sinatra and Bowden and watched them interviewed on Dr. Oz in December. This past weekend, the Graedons of The People's Pharmacy interviewed them and not only dug deeper into their information about cholesterol and saturated fats, but also asked more about the statin-free ways to reduce heart disease risks factors. They ask for the specific dose recommendations for supplements
CoEnzyme Q10, 
Magnesium
, D-Ribose, 
L Carnitine
, Omega 3
s, Curcumin, Resveratol near the end of the podcast. An informative interview, certainly better than Dr. Oz.

The podcast is available for free download for one month:
http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2013...olesterol-myth/
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-14-13, 01:19
Registered Member

Plan: High fat, low carb
Stats: 225/179/180 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress:

Thanks for the link. Very informative stuff. I don't know why I haven't read their book yet. I need to remedy that asap.

As for the recommended suppliments, I'm already taking most of them, including Pantethine. First I've heard of Trans-Resveratrol. I'll have to look into that.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-14-13, 03:34

I met the Graedon's at a local benefit, and they are also big supporters of low dose aspirin for heart, stroke and cancer benefits. I go back and forth on the need vs risk of aspirin use, but there is another new study showing melanoma protection. Many of the heart studies are also summarized in this new article on the home page.
http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-30-13, 19:29

Plan: Whole Foods Atkins
Stats: 178/168/150 Female 5.5
BF:
Progress: 36%

Thank you Janet. Listening now. After my crazy high LDL report am trying to sort through the good, bad and ugly. Good program!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Mar-31-13, 04:40

Hi Vicki,
You should also listen to the most recent show ...Diet Flip Flops!
Starts with a local researcher on the new Mediterrean Diet study and then the famous Walter Willett of Harvard...who says twice that low fat diet recommendations was a HUGE MISTAKE! So all the millions who ate low fat, got obese and then died of heart disease...do we just get an apology from the government? Or maybe an oops, my bad? I was rather upset by that show, but the last part was listener call-ins who had good reports with paleo low carb.
So keep eating that Alaska salmon!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-01-13, 00:56

BF:

Janet I see you eat primal...I don't know Dr. Westman. I have now officially reached goal. So now my priority is to maintain and get a good strategy to lower my LDL ...plus just figure the whole dang thing out. I am interested in exploring primal/paleo further.
My mom is on statins because she tried for years to eat low fat to reduce her LDL and did not work. So many people have been totally duped....absurd! And we are filling our freezer w salmon this summer period!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-01-13, 05:07

Whole Foods Atkins would be another way to describe how I eat! Dr. Westman is one of the authors of NANY and his clinic program is in Why We Get Fat by Taubes. It is based on what Atkins used in 1999 when Westman ran clinical trials on the diet. So his own program is similar to an earlier Atkins, but I then add paleo type rules of no processed foods, AS, grains, legumes or processed seed oils. I still include small amounts of dairy, more like a treat, than a regular part of diet, but generally try to avoid the hormonal response of dairy and any weird chemical additives in foods.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Apr-01-13, 07:24

BF:

Janet
Do you have issues with higher cholesterol? Am curious as to how others are dealing with the high cholesterol problem. Part of my success in eating "whole foods" Atkins and losing the weight was in eating eggs, bacon, and cheese very regularly. I love those foods! However, I am now rethinking them. I have immediately cut down on my dairy, all I am having now is 1/3 cup of plain greek yogurt (Fage) and an ounce of cheese every few days. Also stopped the bacon.
Oh...duh...Dr. Westman. Yes, I have read NANY many times and always learn something new! I sure appreciated the chapter on Metabolic Syndrome and Cardio Health. I am in a transition as I sort out the best path to follow. I loved Atkins because it was the only plan I found that I could adhere to. And there is space to individualize it. I do not like the present focus on the bars, shakes, and frozen meals by Atkins Nutritionals. They all seem quite contrary to what Dr. Atkins promoted early on.

Last edited by vsalmon : Mon, Apr-01-13 at 08:36.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Apr-01-13, 10:05

Yes, if you read his program in WWGF or on the web, you will notice his emphasis on real foods. Bars, shakes, etc are discouraged. I am lucky to live near Duke go to his monthly support group now.
I never had a problem with high cholesterol before low carb, though a few times since my LDL and Total are above "normal ranges". My trigs are 30 and HDL 102...so not too worried. Though must admit that I rarely eat bacon and don't smother my foods in extra fats. I use coconut and olive oil as needed, but the times I've tried the very high fat versions of low carb have never brought me weight loss. With your numbers, look into the hypthyroid connection someone else mentioned.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Apr-11-13, 10:37

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsalmon
Janet
Do you have issues with higher cholesterol? Am curious as to how others are dealing with the high cholesterol problem. Part of my success in eating "whole foods" Atkins and losing the weight was in eating eggs, bacon, and cheese very regularly. I love those foods! However, I am now rethinking them. I have immediately cut down on my dairy, all I am having now is 1/3 cup of plain greek yogurt (Fage) and an ounce of cheese every few days. Also stopped the bacon. .
Have you ever had your thyroid tested? I had terrible fights with a doctor who wanted to put me on statins because of high total cholesterol (295) and and high LDL (218) - even though all the research I had done seemed to indicate this could be a thyroid issue.

Long story short - I finally found someone willing to put me on Armour thryoid. Within 6 weeks my total cholesterol dropped to 196 and my LDL to 124. I just had a re-test last month, two years later, and my total cholesterol is now 191 and my LDL is 110. My HDL is still decent at 61, though my triglycerides have inched up a tad to 102, and not the sub-100 reading I had last time. I still eat lots of dairy! I love dairy, yum, and my current doctor says that's just fine.