Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-04-13, 12:18
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default Can your statin give you a heart attack?

http://www.drbriffa.com/2013/01/04/...-heart-failure/

Robs the body of CoQ10 which is need to power the body (including the heart), lowers insulin sensitivity, increases risk of diabetes...

Are you sure you want to take that pill just to get a lower meaningless number?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-10-13, 02:11
Registered Member

Plan: Somewhat Atkins
Stats: 180/180/140 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I question that guy's credentials. He doesn't seem to have attended medical school, though he may be something equivalent to a naturopath.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-10-13, 07:07
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saggyface4
I question that guy's credentials. He doesn't seem to have attended medical school, though he may be something equivalent to a naturopath.

Dr Briffa is a doctor in the UK. So yes, has been to medical school.

http://www.highgatehospital.co.uk/c.../dr-john-biffa/

Last edited by leemack : Thu, Jan-10-13 at 07:16.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-10-13, 07:34

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Dr Briffra is a practicing family physician who attended one of Britain's top medical schools, graduated with two degrees, and won top honors.
Quote:
He is prize-winning graduate of University College London School of Medicine, where he also gained a BSc degree in Biomedical Sciences.

You will find the articles written for his website and his books thoroughly researched with citations.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-10-13, 08:49
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:

How about the credentials of:
Quote:
1. Larsen S, et al. Simvastatin Effects on Skeletal Muscle – Relation to Decreased Mitochondrial Function and Glucose Intolerance. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2013;61(1):44-53

2. Passi S, et al. Statins lower plasma and lymphocyte ubiquinol/ubiquinone without affecting other antioxidants and PUFA. Biofactors 2003;18(1-4):113-24.

3. Langsjoen PH, et al. The clinical use of HMG CoA-reductase inhibitors and the associated depletion of coenzyme Q10. A review of animal and human publications. Biofactors 2003;18(1-4):101-11.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-20-13, 06:42
Registered Member

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 261/251/210 Male 72 in
BF:
Progress:

Quote:

The most ridiculous statement I've ever seen on this board. Assuming that only the credentialed have any knowledge is sheer insanity. In fact to be "credentialed" is to be, usually, compliant and non questioning of "accepted wisdom".
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-21-13, 21:51

Plan: mine
Stats: 260/165/165 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Nancy LC,

More and more studies are showing that indeed statins do interfere with cardiac function and some of those studies have concluded that statins may actually cause heart failure. So I guess the answer to your question is, yes, they can give you a heart attack.

Frankly, whilst the manufactures may not admit this at the moment, when you look at their list of contraindications and adverse reactions, these are frankly quite scary. Even the common ones aren't something that you would particularly want such as up to 14% of people can get diarrhea from taking statins, 8% of people taking statins can experience urinary tract infection disease. Of the most serious adverse effects is liver failure, autoimmune disease, myalgia and hemorrhagic cerebral infarction.

I've attached the slide from my MicroMedex Drug Information program as of course, it's far better to see the proof rather than just take my word for it.

Cheers,

Mark
Attached Images
File Type: png MicroMedex Screenshot1.png (25.1 KB, 1 views)