Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-08-16, 16:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 246/185/185 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Pork Ribs

RIBS

The best and quickest, no mess way to cook pork ribs, hands down. Use a no sugar, low carb barbecue sauce and it's Atkins and low carb friendly.

Rib people debate for hours about whether you should slow cook or grill ribs or even boil them. A true southerner uses vinegar to tenderize the meat. I found this recipe that combines the best of both worlds. Makes the ribs at just the right tenderness and they retain full flavor. You don't dry rub, you don't slow cook them to death, and you don't burn them. Listen up:

1. Get a rack of ribs. Look for baby back pork ribs. I get the ones that say extra meaty. Don't get the full size ribs that have been frozen for ten years. Get a bottle of red wine vinegar. Also get a jar of your favorite barbeque sauce. Open the rib package and rinse the ribs under water. next remove the membrane from the back of the ribs, you peel it back. I use a paper towel in my hand for better grip. Don't eat your ribs with the membrane still on them! This takes practice but you'll get good at it. Here's a link to show you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_fqJcc4n_I

2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Place ribs in a roasting pan. Mix 2/3rd cup of water, 1/3 cup of red wine vinegar. Pour this mixture over ribs and cover with foil. Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes. Baste the ribs with the juices halfway through cooking.

3. Take the ribs out and drain the water. At this point, you'll think I'm crazy. The ribs smell like vinegar and have a weird color to them. Don't worry.

4. Fire up the grill or your oven roaster, I use the roaster. There's no exact setting, you'll have to learn this on your own. You want to grill the ribs so they are golden brown. This usually takes me about ten minutes. Keep a close eye on them, you don't want to burn them They are already cooked so all you want to do now is brown the outside. Get a nice even golden brown on them on both sides.

5. Now put on the barbeque sauce and turn your heat down, you want to warm the barbeque sauce into the ribs. Brush the top with sauce first, put that side toward your heat, just as the sauce starts to burn or get hard, flip the ribs and brush the bottom side with sauce and put that to the heat. Keep an eye on it. Then flip it one more time and put another coat of sauce on the top and cook that into them.

You are done. Everybody loves this way of doing ribs and it's the only way I do them.

Here's the sauce that I use: 0 sugar but 2 grams of carbs for 2 tablespoons. Not a lot but be careful here. Since you're eating it with a lot of pork fat, the fat will slow the absorption of carbs into your system and not produce an insulin response. In a typical serving, you'll have about 6 grams of carbs total.

And this is the article that I read that originally got me to adapt this style of cooking ribs:

Sponsored Links