Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-09-09, 07:31

Plan: schwarzbein program
Stats: 259/253/200 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default Another frustrated customer

I feel silly even posting this cause it looks like I could just read some old posts yet I am on the verge of saying f**k it and I don't want to do that.

I started SP feb, 2 2009 and I have been fanatical. I weighed myself today and I gained almost 2 lbs. am I doing something wrong??

I eat breakfast, lunch, snack and limit carbs. I have been measuring all my carbs for 2 months but not my fat & protein. My one cheat is coffee. Oh coffee, with heavy whipping cream. that is it. i work out, not every day but at least 3 times a week with weight training. HELP! Talk me down. I am not a forum joiner yet don't want to throw in the towel on my health and I feel it coming like so many other times.

Stephanie

PS: eating lots of veggies. at every meal.

Last edited by chicagomaj : Thu, Apr-09-09 at 07:33. Reason: forgot to note my veggie intake
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-12-09, 11:25
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 175/168.4/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 22%

Same problem here Stephanie..........
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-12-09, 12:06
Operation Ann 2013

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 310/297.0/150 Female 5ft 1 in
BF:Of course!! :)
Progress: 8%

Try another plan perhaps, just trying to help you get healthier.....as I don't know anything about your plan of choice it is all I have sorry.

Good luck to you both.
Annie

PS I do want to add that before my plan, nothing ever worked for me WW I gained after a few pounds originally lost. Low fat low calories, I felt I was always hungry, I did lose a few but got bored.......finally, I ran into a girl who had huge success with Atkins, I was hooked.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-13-09, 09:09

Plan: schwarzbein program
Stats: 259/253/200 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 10%

I have come to realize that I still have not gotten my hormone issue resolved. I have been tested and found that I am low progesterone, dhea, testosterone and growth hormone. I have an appointment this Thursday to address.

This is what attracted me to this program, the fact that it is not just about food. I'll let you know.

Question to Marrin7: Have you had your hormones checked?
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-13-09, 09:49

Plan: Carbs <30g/day
Stats: 131/127/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 67%

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomaj
I feel silly even posting this cause it looks like I could just read some old posts yet I am on the verge of saying f**k it and I don't want to do that.

I started SP feb, 2 2009 and I have been fanatical. I weighed myself today and I gained almost 2 lbs. am I doing something wrong??

I eat breakfast, lunch, snack and limit carbs. I have been measuring all my carbs for 2 months but not my fat & protein. My one cheat is coffee. Oh coffee, with heavy whipping cream.

Before you quit, I'd try one more thing, which is giving up caffeine. Caffeine messes with my blood sugar and thus my hunger levels and weight. There's a book out there, I think called Caffeine Blues, that can tell you more.

I'm not familiar with Shwarzbein, but does she forbid coffee?
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-13-09, 16:03
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
I have come to realize that I still have not gotten my hormone issue resolved. I have been tested and found that I am low progesterone, dhea, testosterone and growth hormone. I have an appointment this Thursday to address.

This is what attracted me to this program, the fact that it is not just about food. I'll let you know.

Question to Marrin7: Have you had your hormones checked?

No not yet. I'm in menopause but so far have not been having a bad time of it.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-13-09, 16:05
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar_Free
Before you quit, I'd try one more thing, which is giving up caffeine. Caffeine messes with my blood sugar and thus my hunger levels and weight. There's a book out there, I think called Caffeine Blues, that can tell you more.

I drink coffee like there's no tomorrow. And I've had a sneaking suspicion that it might be the coffee.....just haven't wanted to face that fact yet
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Apr-13-09, 21:14

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 186/181.5/125 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 7%

I lost 53 pounds with SP. I would definitely give up the coffee and any artificial sweeteners you are using. Eat whole foods and count all carbs.
Best of health to you
  #9   ^
Old Mon, May-25-09, 03:53

Plan: General LC
Stats: 198/184.5/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 28%

Schwartzbein says you may gain weight at first on her plan because of our metabolisms being messed up. They take time to re-balance.
#1 - I eat way less calories than she allows.
#2 - I count my calories - not over 1200 (she says don't)
#3 - I drink coffee w/real cream and saccarine (hain't NOBODY TAKING AWAY MY COFFEE!!!) (She says avoid it)
#4 - Exercise at least an hour a day. That she says and I agree. I HAVE to work out at least an hour to get real results.

You may want to try Atkin's for a while.
His plan seems to be a good starter. I did and it helped.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jul-07-09, 11:53

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrin7
I drink coffee like there's no tomorrow. And I've had a sneaking suspicion that it might be the coffee.....just haven't wanted to face that fact yet

After 2 years of successful low-carbing more or less according to the Barry Groves' plan, I have just switched to the Schwarzbein II programme to help me sort out my caffeine addiction. She definitely recommends giving up caffeine!!!

She says excessive coffee drinking is like being in permanent fight-or-flight mode because it makes adrenaline hang around in your system longer. Basically, regular coffee intake is putting your adrenals under stress, eventually causing burn-out.

I am trying her suggestion of phasing out the caffeine. I am surprised you say you are following Schwarzbein if you are not trying to get rid of the caffeine in your life. Are you just following her eating plans? Have you read SPII?

Just curious, even though my words may come across as aggressive in black and white on screen... I don't mean to be...

amanda
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jul-07-09, 11:54

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar_Free

She recommends tapering off caffeine if you are addicted. If you read SPII, you wouldn't need to read much more - it's shocked the heck out of me!!!

amanda
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jul-07-09, 12:01

BF:

Quote:
I

Hi Stephanie,

I am not an SP expert, as I have only just switched to SPII from Barry Groves' (I lost weight fine, but I need to deal with a few other issues now, such as caffeine, a mild beer problem and stress-management if I want to keep the weight off).

I am just in the middle of re-reading it, doing all the underlining stuff, to make the message stick in, and the one thing that she repeats is that if you have a damaged metabolism, you may gain before you lose.

You say you have "gained almost 2lbs" - that is not exactly a lot!!! I lose 2lbs overnight sometimes!!! I really think you don't have anything to worry about. If you do actually feel better for following this programme, I would stick with it a bit longer.

However, in SPII, one of the main things she recommends is giving up caffeine, so, to be fair to Dr S, you haven't actually been following her programme to the letter, which is why you might not be experiencing the success you hoped for.

Is caffeine something you can't imagine giving up right now???

amanda
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jul-07-09, 16:56
Registered Member

BF:

Amanda - I'm not really following Schwarzbein - when I got started on this website I was interested in reading more anecdotal info re Schwarzbein and somehow I clicked something and it put me in the Schwarzbein camp. But I had just finished reading one of her books and wanted more info.

Makes sense re caffeine and the adrenals. I was just dx'ed with AF, Metabolic Syndrome, and Type II diabetes.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jul-08-09, 00:38

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrin7
Amanda - I'm not really following Schwarzbein - when I got started on this website I was interested in reading more anecdotal info re Schwarzbein and somehow I clicked something and it put me in the Schwarzbein camp. But I had just finished reading one of her books and wanted more info.

Makes sense re caffeine and the adrenals. I was just dx'ed with AF, Metabolic Syndrome, and Type II diabetes.

Hi Marrin7!

Your answer explains everything!!! If you want to change your profile, you just go up to that green bar at the top of the screen and click on User CP and then you'll be able to click on your profile and change that.

If you have T2 diabetes, this is the place to be!!! You'll get some great info and feedback here. There is a special diabetes subforum, too, if you haven't found it yet. What exactly is AF, though?

Anyway, I shall plug on with the SPII programme - good luck with whatever shade of the LC WOE that you choose!

amanda
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jul-08-09, 07:53
Registered Member

BF:

AF = Adrenal Fatigue. Poor buggers are spent