Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#181   ^
Old Tue, Dec-07-04, 18:37
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205/164/155 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 82%
Default New Member Needs Help

Guys -
I posted this on the advanced/intense workout forum and no one responded. I've read good stuff on this forum, so I thought I'd move it over here. I hope I'm not breaking any rules!
Short history: I am 44, 5'8", weight 168 now and lost 50 lbs. on Atkins two years ago and kept most of it off until going on a cruise last March. Still battling the last 13 lbs, which won't seem to budge. I lift with my Bowflex alternating u.b. and l.b. every other day with a 1/2 hour on my treadmill at up to 7.5 mph (don't do cardio and lifting on the same days). I am following the Body for Life plan, without the carbs. I am getting weak-feeling in my workouts and the scale's not budging. Yes - I do look a lot better than two weeks ago, but I was looking forward to a dramatic loss like I got last time. Last time, I was also working out, but maybe not as hard.
Yesterday, with the help of DietPower.com, I logged all my food and my workout. The program said losing 13 lbs. by Christmas was "absurd". I might be pushing it, but I've easily lost ten lbs. in two weeks on Atkins before. Anyway, I want to see how far toward that goal I can get, and if the scale won't budge, at least I'd like to see the lower abdomen fat pad leave or at least get a LOT smaller.
Anyway, to my horror, the two lc EAS shakes I drank yesterday to give myself five meals added up to 10 grms. of net carbs and that, with the rest of what I ate, added up to 56 carbs! OMG! I had no idea how quickly things added up. Ordinarily, I would have also added a big bowl of lc icecream for dessert, adding at least another 6 grams to my day. I'd already decided to cut that out. Do you think I should also cut out the shakes? Sometimes when I'm busy, I don't have time to eat. I thought they were a way to keep my body fueled up for my active lifestyle (horse trainer) and my workouts. Could they be sabotaging me? But I also ate a large handful of cashews, out of desperation. It seems there's nothing left to satisfy my need for a "treat"! I gave up my beloved beer, then wine, then diet coke (with aspartame). I'm running out of things to make myself feel happy about!
Should I stay below 20 grams of carbs/day for a couple weeks even though I'm in training and don't have much energy in my lifting? Help! I don't know whether to eat more carbs or cut back!
Any help would be grately appreciated,
Diana
Sponsored Links
  #182   ^
Old Fri, Mar-27-09, 16:22

Stats: 295/230/150 Female 5 ft. 7 in.
BF:
Progress: 45%

I need to build and strengthen the muscles in my legs and hips, is there any special exercises I need to be doing?
Due to in-activity for about a year now my legs and hips just have no strength in them anymore and I get worn out just trying to walk.
  #183   ^
Old Sun, Mar-29-09, 10:18
Registered Member

Plan: Kwasniewski Ratios
Stats: 225/158/145 Female 65
BF:53%/24%/20%
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SissyPoo
I need to build and strengthen the muscles in my legs and hips, is there any special exercises I need to be doing?

Yep. Head on over to the Slow Burn Accountability thread in the Buddies, Friends and Challenges section after you read the Slow Burn for Ladies thread under Advanced/High Intensity exercise section. You'll find exactly what you're looking for.

Lisa
  #184   ^
Old Sun, Mar-29-09, 13:29

Plan: quasi paleo + starch
Stats: 153/148/118 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 14%

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcollier

You're right to a point. With leptin resistance, you don't have to be insulin resistant, but you're on the road to it. But if you're insulin resistant, you're definately leptin resistant.

Basically, when one is leptin resistant, the body thinks it's starving b/c of communication breakdown. The body slows down the metabolism b/c the brain doesn't perceive that there's enough fat stores on hand. At the same time, the brain tells the person to eat. So anyone with leptin problems is going to have some pretty erratic behavior around food. That's probably the biggest indicator. You can become a real diet schizophrenic b/c of the powerful survival urges of leptin. Bingers, purgers, eating out of control.... these people generally have leptin problems.

Another good indication is if you get hungry as the day goes on. Leptin is highest during the first few hours of sleep and falls to its lowest in the morning. Hunger and cravings before bed (at night) is a good indicator that leptin is not in good rhythm. Couple "out of control" eating after dinner, and you have serious leptin problems. Remember that leptin resistance and low leptin from malnutrition equal the same thing so chronic dieters eating too few calories will also experience this. It's not impossible that you have low leptin if you are eating too little.

The best way to control leptin resistance is to eat enough food, control insulin levels, not overeat at mealtime, and not eat 3 hours before bedtime. EFAs also help leptin resistance. The Rosedale diet is a high fat diet, but low saturated fat.

There's lots of books out there that deal with balancing hormones insulin and cortisol, but few have yet to pick up on leptin since it's just newly discovered. I think we're only scratching the surface so far as too how profound this hormone is. "Mastering Leptin" is good to learn about leptin, but not great for a "diet plan". The Rosedale Diet is good for a "diet plan" but gives little info about leptin. They're both at amazon.com. I haven't read Lyle's book yet. I thought I ordered it, but it was his older book I got instead that only addressed Ketogenic Diets, not leptin....

Wanda...

There's a book from 2006, called, The Fat Resistance Diet, by Leo Galland, M.D.

He claims that lots of his patients have lost weight on his diet which is based on correcting the operation of the hormone leptin.

I've not yet read it, but I think it might interest you.

You might check to see if your local library has a copy.

I wouldn't order it, sight unseen -- seriously, it may be way beneath your level of knowledge. One thing is that it's almost half meal plans and recipes, whereas I'd prefer he'd written LOTS more on the science behind his plan.
  #185   ^
Old Mon, Mar-30-09, 15:04

Stats: 295/230/150 Female 5 ft. 7 in.
BF:
Progress: 45%

Will check out the Slow Burn thread. Thanks