Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-02, 04:57

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 184/181/150
BF:
Progress: 9%
Default Here I go again...

I have my AF AGAIN.... First it's no AF for months. Then I start Met and get them more regularly. Starting in November however, I get them for 3 weeks at a time. Last time was started on Jan 25 and stoped on Feb 16. The week after I had a procedure done at the hospital... bled a little from that, it stopped, and then I started my AF all over again.

Just venting... Nothing anyone can do. Will see my RE this week and ask her how come. Very perplexing.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-02, 21:19
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Atkins hybrid
Stats: 210/183/163
BF:
Progress: 57%

Sometimes you just have to let it all out. Go ahead we're listening...Your frustration is hitting home with many of us here I'm sure. I am curious though, I'm in the US and not familiar with the "AF" you use. I'm sure it refers to your periods. What is the translation here, if you don't mind my asking. I suppose I could tell you the reason I ask is that from 1989 to 1992 I didn't have a period, and I had wanted a baby so badly. In frustration I began collecting different ways to refer to my period and had come up with several alternative phrases to remind me of what kept me from being a mother again. You can rest assured that very few women gave me the same response. My collection has grown, and so has my houehold. After those 3 years of no periods I went through 4 normally spaced periods. They were very much heavier than before, and then nothing again. When I fainted some weeks later, the emergency room doc sent me for x-rays because I had been nauseous and dehydrated. As the x-ray tech wheeled me back she asked if I could be pregnant, and of course that's her job. I replied that miracles happen every day with a note of sarcasm. She ignored my sarcasm and called back to the lab for an HCG level on the blood they had already taken. Just to be sure you understand. I went to the dressing room to put on my funky hospital gown for the procedure and when I walked out of the dressing room she told me to turn around and get dressed. They can't do x-rays on pregnant women. My daughter just turned 9 in January. And I will never sniff at the miracles of God again. As if that weren't enough to make miracles real, her little brother was born 22 monthes later. Keep faith alive. Keep talking. I'll pray for you,

En Agape, and giving it away! pepper
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-02, 04:55

BF:
Default Thanks.

AF = Aunt Flow

I started using it after being on an infertility site. I thought it best at times to not use the correct word.

I wish for a baby every day. It's hard, but there's not much I can do. I do try what I can, and hope for the best.

Thanks for your words of encouragement!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-02, 14:12
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 7 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%

Josee, never give up that hope!!

Your Friend,
Christy
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-02, 21:29

Plan: atkins
Stats: 240/182/125
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default have you looked into wedging

A doctor I had once suggested wedging, where the cut a wedge into your ovary by going through your belly button....probably not the right word.

I know how hard it is each month when all you want is a baby, I am not giving up so please don't either. Although it sometimes feels like you are bashing your head.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-02, 23:05

Plan: My own
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Its called a wedge resection and your description is rather accurate although I think they use a different technique now!

Gracia_30 - who's your RE? My periods have become completely wacky and since we're both in Ottawa, I thought I'd ask for a referral. Could you PM me please? I run the risk of forgetting I asked, and never coming into this thread again. PCO memory huh?!?

Lisa
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-27-02, 05:12

BF:
Default RE

In case anybody else would like to know:

My RE is Dr. D. Kotarba
She's at 774 Parkdale (Part of civic Hospital)
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-27-02, 22:34
Registered Member

BF:
Default Here I go again....

I recently went to Dr. Glueck's pcos site. He firmly believes that Metformin is the way to go to improve our fertility odds, well okay your's (I'm 40 years old...). I took a copy of most of the information contained there to my GP. Most of this was way above my head as it was very technical in nature, but I asked her to see what use she could make of the info to make life more comfortable for me. It surprised me to see how open she was. I had expected resistance, but she quickly skimmed through and set me up for a blood draw based on what she found there. I'll get my results on the 6th. And so if it would be any help it's Dr. Charles Gluecks PCOS site. Perhaps your doctor will welcome the opportunity to learn how to help you.

En Agape,
pepper
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Apr-23-02, 13:16

Stats: 215/184/130 Female 5'0"
BF:
Progress: 36%

Pepper,
I just hate to see this thread go, so I wanted to respond.
I sympathize with your baby quest. I, too, went through the same thing. I was a regular on the IF websites, (where AF meant A friend, as well as Aunt Flo.)

I started going to an RE in my area. After a very brief detour on Clomid, which doesn't typically work for PCOS women in the absence of other meds, I began OI, or Ovulation Induction. I had shots of Metrodin each evening, and blood tests each morning. I also took Clomid and Dexamethasone.

My follicles were monitored each and every day via ultrasound, and when they got to a certain size, I was given the ok to go ahead with a shot of HcG to trigger ovulation.

It wasn't easy, and in fact, I developed ovarian hyperstimulation, which is excruciating and can be dangerous, too. It was all worth it, because I became pregnant, and delivered a perfect, healthy, beautiful baby boy in 1997.

As awful as the process was, I did it again in 1998, and became pregnant with a beautiful little girl, whom I delivered in 1999.

It is more difficult, and aggresive, but I'm all about the science, and I know it works. It was worth the hassle a billion times over.

However you choose to go after this, is up to you. This is just a different way. I pray for you, and wish you {{{{fertile vibes}}}

Elizabeth2
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-02, 20:50
Registered Member

BF:

Oh, thanks sweetheart! But I'm no longer in the quest for a baby, I'm 40 years old and already have 4. The oldest will be 22 in July. And the more I learn about PCOS the more I believe in miracles. And I'm personally acquainted with 4 of them! But I'm interested in helping others to gain control of their bodies again through research. I firmly believe that it is in our best interests to learn how our bodies are reacting to the disturbances PCOS causes and why. I'm particularly interested in your experience and wonder if there is any research I can refer to that can be downloaded into my research files. Any information you can provide would be appreciated. And congratulations on your little miracles!

pepper
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Apr-25-02, 06:07

Stats: 215/184/130 Female 5'0"
BF:
Progress: 36%
Default OOPS!

Pepper,

OOPS! I got confused. I did read about your miracles, and then when I scrolled down, I saw that Gracia_30 was the one wishing for a baby every day. I made a mental note to respond to her, and as I scrolled down even further, I saw that you wrote:

Quote:
He firmly believes that Metformin is the way to go to improve our fertility odds, well okay your's (I'm 40 years old...).

I took that to mean that you had given up because you were 40 yrs old and I responded to your post, instead! (BTW, 40 isnot too old at all! There were many many 40+ women at my RE's office )

Anyway, back to your information quest. I did a whole lot of research myself on infertility, as well. When it comes to making babies, my approach was very aggressive because I was in a hurry (even though I was 27 when I started the process). When it comes to making my body healthy and function properly, I am no less committed, but I am slower, more deliberate. I no longer feel like I am in a race.

Unfortunately, I really didn't come up with many useful downloadable sites. I did a lot of searches on: Metrodin/Follistim, Ovulation Insemination, Artificial Semination, and PCOS. I got a lot of information from the Parents Place Infertility website, although I didn't happen across it until my second time through inf. treatments. Overall, there wasn't much (useful) info. out there. I do research for a living, and if it was to be found, I guarantee that I would have found it. Aside from a few medical articles, that was it. I was always disappointed, and I was never satisfied with the info. I read. I wanted MORE.

It seems to me that the scars from infertility never heal. It isn't just the medical procedural side that you have to learn about. There is a huge emotional side to this as well that needs to be addressed. Even though I am now blessed with two miracle babies, I still identify with everyone who is still on The Quest.

You said that you were particularly interested in my situation. I will be hapy to share any info you are interested in.

Elizabeth2
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Apr-25-02, 21:27
Registered Member

BF:

Alllll Right! Some one who knows what they're doing as far as reasearch goes. I've been going through the archives of the JCEM, the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism. Fascinating reading, but I'm trying to classify some of what I'm reading in terms of how applicable the research is at this present moment. To other readers; this stuff is good reading if you want to gain some insight in helping your doctor to help you. It's very technical, but more than a bulb or two will come on I'm sure. If you go there, let me know what you think. I'm all ears to suggestions on how to proceed on this research and if anybody can help with dumbing it down for me I'd very much appreciate it!

pepper