Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 11:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 291/268/175 Female 5ft 4in
BF:
Progress: 20%
Unhappy no cook here

I've only been on the diet for a few days, and already I'm bored with the food. I am not going to quit! I am not a very good cook and I'm on a fixed income due to the size of my family. It is som much easier, quicker, and CHEAPER to cook the foods that made me Fat. I really need 30 minute meals that my family would enjoy as well. If anyone out there can help me, I'd love to hear from you.

Jackie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 11:11

Plan: Low Carb, Good Carb
Stats: 206/164/160 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%
Default induction menu ideas?

I'm only on 25g CHO per day, so I'm getting a bit bored too, especially with bacon and/or egg for breakfast.
LC recipe ideas seem mostly for people on OWL, so I wish someone would send in ideas for induction meals?
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 16:01

Stats: 302.2/302.2/185 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hey Jackie ....

Not the most knowledgeable persons to answer you, but I'll give it a try

There are lots of great low carb meals which can be quite quick and easy. At the top of the main dishes thread is a thread with Induction suitable recipes. If you're looking for some recipes that are a bit more simple/plain ... you're welcome to stop by my journal. I try to list what I'm eating fairly often, and put recipes in when something is really good (or if someone asks). I'm eating between 20 - 25 carbs a day, and am cooking both LC for myself, and non-LC for others. I'm also on a seriously tight budget, so I've gotten really good with ground beef

Some suggestions:
1. Buy ground beef in a bulk pack - separate into smaller sections and freeze what you're not using immediately. Great for:
-taco salad
-tacos (with lettuce as wraps or create melted cheddar taco shells)
-hamburgers
-tomato meat sauce (use spaghetti squash for noodles)
-meatballs (tomato sauce, cream sauce)
-in a faux lasagna (use zuccini or eggplant as noodles)

2. Egg frittatas!
I hate eggs on their own, and could barely get an omelette down by plugging my nose. But I've found by adding a bunch of eggs, some cheese, some veggies (peppers, bit of onion, tomato, parmesan and oregano and whatever's left around (ground spicy sausage? other veggies?) I can put it all in a pan, cook on low for ages, and have a tasty pizza frittata - no real egg taste, and can be eaten as slices, cold or hot. You can also make a spinach & cheese one, or really there's tons of other kinds. I buy my eggs in flats of 25 so they're cheaper.

3. Go to a farmer's market/ produce store for your veggies - you can find some great deals ... TONS cheaper than buying from the grocery store

4. Other good recipes that pop into my mind that are quick:
Chicken with cheese & tomato sauce
Cream pork (a fave of mine.. mm.. in my journal)
Grilled meat with a veggie side dish
Mashed "fauxtatoes" with Cauliflower instead of potatoes
Crockpot goodies - throw into the pot in the morning (5 min) and make your side dishes in the evening.... quick and yummy
Omelettes
Fajitas (use lettuce as the wrap)

5. Shop around a bit... buy what's on sale, what's in season... Don't just stick to what you're used to eating. I tried eggplant for the first time a week or so ago (never had it in my life) - dipped in egg, then some parmesan and fried in butter til crispy - just like having a hashbrown. I'd never have imagined eating it before this WOE.

6. Crockpot cooking - a life saver!
-Throw your meat (doesn't need to be a great cut at all, actually better if it isn't) into a crockpot for the day, and it's tender and falling apart delicious. You can make gravy for non-LC's, but it's moist enough for you.

7. Browse these forums and try new things... I'm trying to try a new recipe every couple of days... you'd be surprised at how good most are!

8. If you're missing a particular food that you've always loved, and can't find a LC-friendly version on here, ask! There's lots of really talented cooks here who'd offer great tips on ways to change the recipe.

Hope some of this helps, sorry for the long post!
Wynter
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 10:55

Plan: Low Carb, Good Carb
Stats: 206/164/160 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%
Default LC ideas

I'm sure Jackie will have appreciated those tips, and so did I.
This forum is great!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 07:06

Stats: 291/268/175 Female 5ft 4in
BF:
Progress: 20%

Thanks Wynter,
The info you provided was very helpful.
Jackie
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 08:13
~ReFINDing Terry~

Stats: 304/167/150 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 89%
Thumbs up

WoW Wynter!!! THANKS!!! I copied your post and am thrilled to have so many wonderful ideas!!! I think you should think about writing a LC cookbook !!!

Last edited by TerryLynne : Fri, Oct-10-03 at 08:15.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 10:18

Stats: 302.2/302.2/185 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 0%

Glad to help!

Oh, and I forgot to add one other thing - my life saver! I take ground beef and do up a batch of mini hamburger patties (almost bite-size really) and get 10 - 12 (or even 14) per pound. I have mixed in ground chicken with the ground beef, which was also good, and I always add an egg and some parmesan cheese to the meat before forming the patties. You can also chop up an onion and add it to the mix, though that can up the carbs a bit. Feel free to add whatever other spices appeal to you. Cook/fry/grill them up, and throw them into a container.

I then put them in the fridge, and whenever I'm hungry, or for a quick breakfast or lunch, I pull a few out and microwave, then top with lettuce/tomato/dill pickles/cheese/mustard etc. for a really tasty meal/snack. They're really easy to take for lunch, and they're great for portion control - heat up 2-3, and enjoy, and if you're still hungry in a few minutes, go back for more. Goes a long way, is a major relief for quick meals and is low-carb, tasty & cheap, my faves!

Wynter