Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-16-04, 13:22

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 280/276/135 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 3%
Question Low carb and the UK Question

Hi, I am thinking of studying abroad somewhere in the UK (london or lancaster) and I was wondering waht low carbing is like there? Are low carb products hard to find? And when you go out to eat can you find a variety of foods to eat?
Thanks for any replies/help!

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-17-04, 06:06

Plan: My Own
Stats: 240/213/152 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 31%

Theres lots of us low carbing here so obviously we cope OK!! But we don't have all the low carb goodies here that you seem to be able to find in the USA supermarkets. Tesco supermarket appear to be slowly introducing them but its probably in its main shops, I haven't seen any yet. London tends to get things first with it slowly trickling through to the rest of us. You can get some things on the internet delivered, but I prefer to avoid all the 'processed foods' as I'm aiming for a healthy eating diet for life which I can eat anywhere.

Eating out isn't a problem for me, some restaurant chains are beginning to have some low carb options but things like steaks, salads etc are usually available. Curry and Balti houses can be good and usually have tasty options which is where i'm off to tonight!!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-17-04, 13:02
Champagne Paulie

Plan: My Fitness Pal
Stats: 156.2/123.8/120 Female 5 ft 4 ins
BF:Got some, thanks
Progress: 90%
Hi,

Things are definitely better than they were a couple of years ago. Some of the Atkins products are now stocked in the supermarkets and also Boots which is a drug store chain. You can order products off the internet but it is still quite expensive.

As Jems says, we're getting there, but there isn't as much choice as there is in the US and Canada.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-17-04, 15:45

BF:

Ok thanks!!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Sep-17-04, 17:25
Ex-Patriot

Plan: CAD-ish
Stats: 232.5/199/168 Female 5'2"
BF:no/earthly/clue
Progress: 52%

Hi there. My family lives in Baltimore, although I'm originally from New Jersey...at any rate, I've been living in the UK for three years, having moved here to be with my partner.

I do sometimes miss Baltimore, though. What a great city. In addition to Baltimore, I lived in Brooklyn, Houston, Spokane (WA), Salt Lake City, and Philadelphia, before I finally left the US. I always liked Balto. the best. The Land of Pleasant Living, and all that. I used to live in Bolton Hill, and after that I lived in Hampden. Baltomoron tip: If you move abroad, and you like Old Bay, you'd better bring a supply yourself! Plenty of fish and shellfish to put it on, but you won't find Old Bay in the market anywhere outside the US!

There is MUCH less choice of LC convenience foods here. Oh, the Atkins shakes and bars are here, and a few other things (mostly mail-order), but the prices are shocking compared to what similar things cost in the USA. In general...although LC has certainly caught on amongst the UK populace as a effective and safe way to lose weight, the food companies and CERTAINLY the government are way behind in that regard.

If you don't rely on LC convenience foods, you will be fine here. It's very easy and tasty to base your diet on fresh meat, fish, and green vegetables. In fact, I think the beef, lamb, and poultry is far fresher and tastier here than it was in most US supermarkets. I have also been very pleased with the fish I've been able to get in the UK...I had to re-learn my fish catechism because of the vast differences between the eastern US and typical UK catches, but once I did I was able to make excellent selections, far better for the price than anything I got in the US even in coastal cities. Vegetables: There's no problem buying low carb veg in UK supermarkets, although to be perfectly honest, if you have a Hindu greengrocer's anywhere nearby (loads and loads of them here), you may well get fresher vegetables from them than you do from the supermarket.

If you move over (unless you are military, that's a whole different world because they have the PX with all manner of American products), say goodbye to the following: any form of Taco Bell; Krispy Kreme or anything like it (unless you live in/near London, in which case you can get them at Harrod's if you're willing to make the journey and pay top dollar...I live an hour out of London by subway and so far, I haven't been); Any fast-food "low carb" alternative meal, it is on the menu at Mc D's and BK in the US, but not here (I was actually laughed at when I requested a low carb option); sugar free ice cream of any kind--low carb, diabetic or whatever--unless you go to a specialty shop and, again, pay top dollar; Hidden Valley Ranch dressing in any form (BRING PACKETS YOURSELF if this is an indispensable diet ingredient for you).

But if you move anywhere near London, say hello to: Indian food that beats anything I've ever had in America, there is absolutely no comparison; A vast variety of good and reasonably cheap (compared to US prices for the same thing) French and Italian table wines; a large variety of extremely interesting cheeses, from the UK and Europe, even more wine and cheese if you go to France, which is very easy to do from the UK; delicious cream for your coffee. NB on coffee, if you are a coffee snob you may be disappointed at what you can get in the UK unless you go to a specialty shop (which I do). This is a tea-drinking nation, and they procure some of the best teas in the world. It's just not my thing. I am a coffee addict from way back.

Doritos in the UK are bizarrely sweet. I still have no idea why anyone would want that amount of sweetness in a corn chip, but that's what sells here. So although I was a Dorito addict in the States, I have not had any since coming over.

On the other hand, I have to admit that these people have figured out how to douse chips (US: steak fries) with curry sauce in such a way that it tastes like the food of the gods. I try to stay away from that.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Sep-18-04, 12:06

BF:

wow thanks for all the info tholian8!!
well now I think when I go i will have to take a small supply of my favorite goodies. I still look forward to going to london...i think i will be able to survive even if there arent as many products available!
Yeah baltimore is a nice city... I havent been able to explore much of it yet though but so far it's nice.

thanks again.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Sep-19-04, 06:55

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

Quote:
Hi, I am thinking of studying abroad somewhere in the UK
Mmmm. Just a quick note - the UK is not abroad. Everywhere else is abroad

LCing may even be easier here as there aren't as many frankenfoods on sale. You can still get Atkins bars and carbolite products though and pay tons of money for Keto ketchup if you really want it.

Meat is good quality and there is plenty of fresh fish available.