Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#106   ^
Old Sat, May-01-10, 18:59
fabulously me

Plan: just lowest carbs poss
Stats: 242/242/130 Female 5ft 8
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightnow
Or you could get some kefir grains and use half&half to make a thicker kefir, and let it thicken in the fridge after that, and make your own yogurt-style kefir -- or even your own yogurt -- which would surely be cheaper?

ick that all sounds like hard work!

my food is usually stuff that involves never having to use a plate so i dont have to wash up. stuffed chicken breasts etc in cookable packaging! ill stick with buying overpriced yoghurt lol
Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Sun, May-01-11, 09:28

Plan: mindful/ketogenic-Paleo
Stats: 165/111.8/110 Female 164cm
BF:38%/21%/18%
Progress: 97%

Old thread but if you're still on the forum I wanted to say thanks. I just read the myth and got excited but as always started to research it.
  #108   ^
Old Sun, Apr-07-13, 18:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 172/166/150 Female 5 foot 10 inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy
Plain Greek yoghurt with a teaspoon of splenda and a little cream. Yum!

Mmm yeah! That's how I've been doing it and wondered if anyone else had. Delicious! Except I use stevia extract, not splenda.. I've been eating the Fage total (the whole fat one 10g fat-18g protein-8g carbs) with a little vanilla extract, stevia and heavy cream. Tonight I made whipped cream from the hwc and folded it into the yogurt WHAT A TREAT! I did this because I road cycle and on those days I find myself not being able to get enough calories and fat (lack of hunger And the deficit that longer distance cycling gives me. I worry about my body going into starvation mode)... Anyway, i just started eating it this week and haven't weighed in yet but I will in a weeks time and that's when I'll see if it stalls me. What I will say is that so far adding it in has helped me to feel much better. LC has been going great, but I found myself suddenly just sluggish and feeling weak and like I didn't have much "power" when I move. So I've upped my calories (most from fat) and feel much more balanced (cravings and blood sugar are still in check also). So unless my weight loss is severely effected by the Greek yogurt, I'll keep on ENJOYING it. I do thoroughly enjoy it.
  #109   ^
Old Mon, Apr-22-13, 00:36

Plan: none (=my own)
Stats: 185/168/154 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress:
Default Interesting article

Is galactose a carbohydrate to worry about ? If it does not stimulate insulin production then it would probably not weaken the aims of a low carb diet (appetite reduction, weight loss, etc. etc).

I eat/drink kefir every day and its sourness (compared with commercail natural yogurt) encourages me to believe that its quite low carb and high in lactic acid. It also gets more sour as time goes on, though it seldom lasts long enough, to make me believe that it really is "live".

Commercial yogurt by contrast is bland and unchanging.
  #110   ^
Old Mon, Apr-22-13, 09:12

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazza
Is galactose a carbohydrate to worry about ? If it does not stimulate insulin production then it would probably not weaken the aims of a low carb diet (appetite reduction, weight loss, etc. etc).
But the whey in yogurt is also insulinogenic, which is why all dairy except a little bit of butter or HWC derail me.
see: http://blog.trackyourplaque.com/201...cretagogue.html
  #111   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-14, 09:42

Plan: atkins
Stats: 247/247/230 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:
Default homemade yogart

my Lebanese grandmother taught all of us children how to make our own yogurt, and yes, it is more on the sour side, being allowed to ferment further. she would also strain some of it in a cheese cloth bag, and make "cheese" with it. it is so integral to my daily diet, I think I will have to start making my own again, and just try to live without it while in induction. I have been buying the Fage Greek 2%, which is very good, and made here in the North Country, and I like to support the local economy, but, it looks like Nana knew best in ways perhaps she didn't even understand. I just wish there was a way to know exactly how much less sugar there is when it's allowed to ferment further. I will have to guesstimate. Thanks for all the great info and feedback!