Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-09, 05:54
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 156/154/135 Female 64"
BF:Always on my mind
Progress: 10%
Default 3 lb gain in 1 day??? OMG

I have lost 2.5 lbs in 2 weeks on this woe - Now in 3rd week, went out for lunch - thought I was safe to eat rib tips (naked - no sauce) was very salty. Is it possible to gain 3 lbs in one day? because of the salt? God, I'm so disappointed. Has this ever happened to any of you? What can I do to expedite getting back to where I was? So discouraged...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-09, 06:12

Plan: Atkins/HcG
Stats: 211/168/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 70%

Could possibly be water weight gain from all the sodium. I find my weight goes up when I pig out on pork rinds
Hope that helps!
Keep up the good work though - you'll be rewarded by losing inches faster!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-09, 06:17

Plan: Atkins/lowering cals
Stats: 187/143.6/135 Female 64
BF:35.2/ 20%/20%
Progress: 83%

That happens to me all the time. If it is from the sodium drink plenty of water and relax. It will be gone quickly enough. That is the exact reason why I HATE to eat out, you never know what they season that stuff with and it can cause dramatic weight fluctuations.
Good luck and hang in there.
Barb
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-09, 06:49

Plan: Whole food, semi low carb
Stats: 165/165/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 0%

YES, it's definitely possible mainly from the sodium, and you'll notice the smaller you get, the more sensitive you'll become to sodium. Anytime I eat away from home, which always means high salt, my weight goes up for a couple days.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-09, 07:28

Plan: Atkins/M&E/IF?
Stats: 194/163.2/150 Female 69"
BF:37.2%/28.9%/21%
Progress: 70%

If you weigh yourself everyday, you will see weight fluctuations due to salt, undigested food (ick), water retention from working out--lots of things. IMHO, much better to weigh yourself once a week, at the same time, in the same place, before eating or drinking anything and after your morning...ehem...movement. If it makes you feel any better, I can fluctuate up to 7 pounds from day to day. Talk about shocking! Best of luck!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-09, 07:48
Think Pink

Plan: ♥Calorie Counting
Stats: 265/195/175 Female 5' 10"
BF: a few
Progress: 78%

Definitely possible. I've gained 6 overnight before. Hang in there - sure it's just water weight.....
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-09, 10:51

Stats: 175/163/150 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 48%

Yes this happens to me too! I try not to let it get to me because I know it is impossible for me to gain 3 lbs of fat overnight. I am seriously thinking about throwing my scale in a bonfire.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-09, 11:35

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

Oh yeah, I often gain 10-15 pounds on 3 day weekends- drives me nuts, but i know it is mostly water rentention from eating more/ and more carbs than usual. Always goes away in a week or so.
Hugs!!!

BTW, to gain 3 pounds of "real" weight, you would have needed to consume an extra 10,500 calories (above your daily expenditure).
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-09, 11:41

Stats: 156/146.8/139 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 54%

I agree that eating out will usually (if not always) lead to water retention..... it's temporary!!!

Drink some extra water and relax.

Julie
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-09, 11:44
Registered Member

Plan: Body Opus
Stats: 235/180/155 Male 68
BF:
Progress:

Meh. Weigh yourself once a week at max. I used to be big in weight lifting. I was like 180 pounds and only 7-8% bodyfat. At the same time of day and having eaten the exact same thing in a 2-3 day period my weight could fluctuate up to 8 pounds. Trust your clothes, ditch the scale.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-09, 12:30

Plan: LC and almost vegan/IF
Stats: 190/179.6/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 26%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarlok
Trust your clothes, ditch the scale.

So well said and I hope I can learn to do that too!!!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-09, 15:32
Registered Member

Stats: 198.7/187.9/155 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 25%

That happens to me every tuesday morning weigh in. It's weird. I always lose like 3 pounds over the weekend and then on Tuesday I am up at least 2 of those pounds. In the end it comes out to a loss though. I am sure it's mostly water weight. To gain 3 pounds of fat in one day, you would have had to consume in excess of 10,500 calories. I doubt most people can do that!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-09, 15:47
Shrinking Member

Stats: 242/236.8/160 Female 5' 8"
BF:ample
Progress: 6%

I went out to eat, had a salad and was up almost 5 pounds the next day, it was either sodium or carbs in the dressing. If you are going to stick to this long term you can't let that get to you. It usually takes me one day for each pound of "water" to get rid of. So just eat right for the next few days and weigh yourself again and I am sure it will be gone!
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-09, 10:37

Plan: '72 Atkins
Stats: 260/198/145 Female 65
BF:I do
Progress: 54%

I ate out TWICE yesterday... each time doing as well as I could... buffalo salad with bleu cheese for lunch, and shrimp and veggies from the hibachi bar for dinner...

I gained 2 pounds over night.

Reading this is making me feel much better! Hopefully they'll be gone tomorrow morning. In the mean time I'm drinking tons of water, and eating at home today!
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-09, 10:50

Plan: Mayo Clinic Diet
Stats: 188/169/158 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I agree with gmmd. Just weigh yourself once a week. Or not at all. It is best to go by how your clothes fit you. My teenage son is a wrestler, and they are very strict about weight. They go through some strange things to get rid of water weight so that they can make weight for a match. Lots of things can affect water retention.

Also, I have found for me at least, that when I eat alot of food at one sitting, that I gain weight! Even if it is absolutely no carbs! Dr. Atkins says in his book to eat until you are full, then stop. I've heard some people that eat past being full. For me, if I've over eaten, I always gain weight, no matter what the carb content is.