Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-11-06, 05:12

Plan: Atkins (4life)..Induction
Stats: 24/24/12 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default depression!! ooh sooo SAD =[

I feel TERRIBLE!! I start classes this semester on the 23rd of this month,and im soooo depressed! I WAS HOPIN' TO LOSE SOME WEIGHT BY THEN,BUT IT LOOKS LIKE THAT'S ALL JUST A DREAM that I CAN'T MAKE REALITY. I'm scared too! Cause it means that i'll be shoppin' for clothes that don't hardly fit I feel so bad,because for the past two weeks I haven't seemed to be so faithful on Induction.I just damn near ate whatever the past 3 days!! And this is really gettin' the best of me.Plus,at about 260 lbs,I DON'T WANNA BE AROUND NO BODY!! Especially YOUNG people my age.They are soo much more judgemental and crap. Grrrrrr! While all the other girls will be wearin' the lastest FALL fashions,i'll be in "GRANNY CLOTHES".IT'S NOT FAIR! I'm sooo scared,hurt,and pissed at myself! --TODAY I'LL BE BACK TO *INDUCTION*,EVENTHOUGH I REFUSE TO ADMIT TO MYSELF THAT I QUIT IT THREE DAYS AGO.But im STARTING OVER.I'm gonna do it RIGHT NOW! I can't go this way........have u ever felt this LOW?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-11-06, 05:36
Operation Ann 2013

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 310/297.0/150 Female 5ft 1 in
BF:Of course!! :)
Progress: 8%

Morning Sweetie,

Let me tell you, people are judgemental at every age! One of the many reasons I am losing this weight once and for all. Yes, we all feel like this from time to time, so don't worry you aren't alone!

If you can just stick to induction for 14 days, you will see like magic the cravings for crap REALLY DO go away, plus you will see results. I cheated Monday....I went and brushed myself off, got right back on track. That is the key. I have lost 70 lbs since Jan 1st!

Don't be so hard on yourself, just go to school, keep to plan, and people will see a new you, very soon! One thing you have in your advantage, you are young, and your metabolism is probably quicker than someone lets say, my age!

Use this forum as a tool sweetie, we are all here for the same reasons, find someone to talk to and share your issues, ask questions. Don't be afraid to visit other's journals......we need each other!!!!

I wish you the best of luck, don't dwell on the past, you can't change that, but you CAN change the future!

Annie
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-11-06, 05:39
revcharlie

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

You can do it!!! Just pick up the reins, get back on the horse, and keep going. Many of us don't succeed the first time around, but the key is to keep on trying.

As for clothes,I don't know what you clothing budget is, but you don't need to wear 'granny clothes' just because you are heavy. Treat yourself to some stylish clothes. YOU ARE WORTH IT!!!!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-11-06, 05:53

BF:

AWWW thanx sooooo much u guys!! Honestly,I ALREADY FEEL BETTER!! =D...but U know it's always hard,because us "big people" have to worry about little,simple things that the "skinny/average people" don't have to...For instance,gym class or a decent size desk!!!...That much isn't FAIR at all.I'm jus goin' to have to try my HARDEST,even harder then before,to complete 14-Days of Induction,faithfully and honestly!!.NO CHEATS!..once again...THANX =]
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-11-06, 05:58

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

You CAN do it. You just need to think about how you feel right now the next time that pizza comes into your house!

By this time next year you can be as small as, or smaller than all those other girls at school. AND you'll be quite the popular one with a remarkable makeover to show off!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-11-06, 07:38

Plan: My Own
Stats: 262/235.4/170 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 29%

it is tough being the "chunky girl" in a slim society ... especially at your age. i remember so well b/c i was her just a few years ago....well i am still her i just got older hahaha. i know it is hard to stick to it ... i ahve been on and off of Atkins for years now. just remember that this is for your health ! i know i want to FEEL better ... and when you start feeling better the weight will fall right off and your confidence will sky rocket you CAN do this ! just never give up!

try out Lane Bryant for some cute fall fashions ! they do have a sales rack yanno
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-11-06, 08:35
Registered Member

Stats: 185/180/165
BF:
Progress: 25%

Anxiety over school starting is enough to make you go off your program. Once you get into a groove at school, hopefully it will be easy to go back to induction. The problem of youth is no sense of time. Everything must be now, now now. With age (I just turned 50) I find it easier to stay focussed because I know there will be a benefit down the road. Just not tomorrow.

I remember college years being the best period of my life. It was the only time where I had complete discipline without distractions. I worked and studied and nothing else. I didn't have time for football games or keggers or dating. If you can put that type of focus into studying, you'll have less inclination to worry about diet.

The majority of kids in my college were slackers. For them, college was high school without parents to bother them. Why care what people like that think of you?
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Oct-11-06, 08:41
From Flab to Fab!

Plan: Fat Flush / SB
Stats: 300/225/185 Female 5ft 8"
BF:No Thanks
Progress: 65%

Awwww honey ((((hugs)))) yeah, me too...I have felt incredibly depressed in my life sometimes, but you know wht helped me? Losing weight!
If you stick it out and lose weight your mood will lift, you will feel so much better, more confident and more able to cope.
I also take suppliments, St Johns Wart (a natural anti-depresent) and Vitamin D....these have helped me get through some real tough times.

You can do this, you just have to get through the next few months and things will begin to look up for you.
Good luck!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Oct-11-06, 12:37
Registered Member

Plan: My own low-carb plan
Stats: 361/235/220 Male 5 feet 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 89%

Okay, I'm no expert, but I've been very depressed too (haven't we all?). This is especially true on the first couple of days going off carbs. Over time (yes, too much time), I've learned to just expect it. If you get into some carbs, you just have to know you are going to go through it again getting them out of your system. Here's what works (most of the time) for me: (1) Knowing it's going to happen and expecting it; (2) Having the support of someone you love to remind you, gently, that it will pass (I'm blessed with a skinny wife who has never stopped loving or supporting me); (3) Exercise. Somehow, exercise really helps me to get through it faster, and the harder the better for me.

This is a great place to get encouragement. Don't give up. It will all be worth it when it finally all comes together for you.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Oct-11-06, 12:48
Registered Member

Stats: 358/322/240 Male 6'2
BF:???/37%/20%
Progress: 31%

look forward to whats down the road, not right now. stick with it, its a long trip, but well worth it.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Oct-11-06, 17:50

Plan: My own, post Atkins
Stats: 180/131/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 123%

Hey, Lady,
There are quite a few super cute and sexy big gals out there. I know of one burlesque performer here in l.a. that totally struts her stuff in lovely 1950's style fashions, and keeps her hair all done up, with perfect makeup. And she's WAYYYY hotter than most the girls 1/2 her size i see walking around. It's cuz of the way she carries herself. I lovvve when i see a big girl walking down the street, all made up and looking pretty; it's empowering to see bigger women taking advantage of their beauty, instead of feeling bad because of skinny people. Don't make all those people you're gonna be around make you feel bad. Don't let them have that power over you.

A very good friend gave me this piece of advice that i will never forget: "If you can't make it, fake it." Sometimes when i'm super depressed and everything seems hopeless, i remember that line, and it helps me to just smile and act happy, and give love to the people around me- even though i truly don't feel like it. A lot of time, it works, and i start to actually feel happier and it lifts me out of the depression. Sometimes it doesn't work- but at least it allowed me to have a productive day, and allowed my husband to not worry about me-- which, IMO, is way better than sitting around sad and hating myself all day.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Oct-11-06, 18:00

Plan: My own, post Atkins
Stats: 180/131/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 123%

Ladyatkinz-
I completely remembered something- Do you know about Torrid? ALL of my bigger friends shop there. It's SUPER cute plus size clothes, up to at least size 26, probably higher. All the latest styles, bigger.
www.torrid.com
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Oct-12-06, 20:36

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilli
Hey, Lady,
There are quite a few super cute and sexy big gals out there. I know of one burlesque performer here in l.a. that totally struts her stuff in lovely 1950's style fashions, and keeps her hair all done up, with perfect makeup. And she's WAYYYY hotter than most the girls 1/2 her size i see walking around. It's cuz of the way she carries herself. I lovvve when i see a big girl walking down the street, all made up and looking pretty; it's empowering to see bigger women taking advantage of their beauty, instead of feeling bad because of skinny people. Don't make all those people you're gonna be around make you feel bad. Don't let them have that power over you.

A very good friend gave me this piece of advice that i will never forget: "If you can't make it, fake it." Sometimes when i'm super depressed and everything seems hopeless, i remember that line, and it helps me to just smile and act happy, and give love to the people around me- even though i truly don't feel like it. A lot of time, it works, and i start to actually feel happier and it lifts me out of the depression. Sometimes it doesn't work- but at least it allowed me to have a productive day, and allowed my husband to not worry about me-- which, IMO, is way better than sitting around sad and hating myself all day.

Hey Lilli,thanx for the advice!! I really like what U said,and it's TRUE! mayb when im buyin' some clothes i'll pick up some MAKEUP ..LOL..I will admit that sometimes when im all *dolled up*,I feel empowered,and heads DO TURN when I walk by lol And honestly,"carryin' yourself right" and like a lady,goes a LOOOOOOOONG WAY...so for all the ladies readin' this post,DON'T FORGET THAT...N ooh yes,before I forget,thanx for the Torrid link They got some really cute clothes.I found this store called DOTS CLOTHING,and they have plus sizes too,that aren't really expensive.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Oct-13-06, 07:03

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

You know, I don't know if you're old enough to really know Delta Burke. When she was on Designing Women she got quite heavy, well, IMO she was still the most beautiful woman on that show. She looks like Vivien Leigh (Gone with the Wind). She came out with a line of plus sized clothing for a store (can't remember which), but she is so beautiful.
And Emme... omg, she's gorgeous.

I have family members suffering with depression and the one piece of advice I can pass on is to be proactive. Do something instead of letting whatever is getting to you, get to you. And you are. You are on a weight loss journey; just because you haven't reached the end goal yet, does not mean you should feel down. You are doing something, and the hope for the future is awesome! Each day you have an exciting 'secret' that your fellow classmates don't know: you are transforming!!!!
You have empowered yourself more than most people your age ever can do.

GO FOR THE GOLD Lady!!!! We can all do it!