Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 05:59

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default Protein Power Pals: Tuesday, March 2

Good morning!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 06:08

BF:

No, I wasn't out hotrodding yesterday. I had a million things going on, and work is really starting to pick up. Don't look for me on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.

CarbGirl, I wanted to note a couple things I read in your post yesterday. You said you wanted to lower calories. Some people of your weight and height do very well on 1800 calories per day, losing easily. Others don't. Experiment a little. If you don't feel good on 1100, bump it up. Also, I certainly wouldn't drop from 1800 to 1100 all in one fell swoop. Try dropping down to around 1600 for two to three weeks to see how it works.

Also, if you eat only lean proteins, you'll have a hard time getting your fat up to 65%. And if you do, let me know because I have a heck of a time getting the fat up there.

Renee, are we going to have to get Nurse Ratchet out there to limit your activities again? Were you not told to take it easy, young lady?

More in a bit. Work beckons!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 07:39

Plan: Low-Cal - good carbs
Stats: 235/229/150 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 7%

My menu yesterday was good yesterday - I'm feeling much better today. Walked another 1.5 miles last night (on pavement ) - will try to do more today as the swelling in my knee and ankle has gone down.

Started watching my calorie per pound intake several weeks ago to try to drop 5 lbs or so by about March 15. Weight today is at 174 - so I've lost 3 of those 5 pounds. Calories per pound 1510 / 174 = 8.68 (aiming for around 8 to 9.5).

Total calories: 1510
Fat: 81 gms 728 cal 51%
Sat: 19 gms 171 cal 12%
Poly: 23 gms 205 cal 14%
Mono: 32 gms 290 cal 20%
Carbs: 50 gms 104 cal 6% ECC: 26 gms
Fiber: 24 gms 0 cal 0%
Protein: 147 gms 589 cal 41%

Breakfast:
4 egg-beater omelet with 2 ozs lean ham and 1 oz cheddar
Breakfast drink - 8 ozs water, 1 envelope sf gelatine, 1 scoop sf orange citrucel
30 ozs coffee (regular, brewed)

Lunch:
7.75 oz can salmon - drained (a few drops of lemon juice)
1/4 cup flexseeds with liquid sweetener and vanilla extract

Snack:
15 nuts

Dinner:
10 oz pork chops - broiled - bone-in - lean only eaten
5 ozs brussels sprouts - steamed
9 medium baby carrots - steamed
1.25 cup LC mixed veggies - stir-fried in very little olive oil

About 60 ozs water & 30 ozs coffee
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 07:49

Plan: PP high Omega 3
Stats: 165/133.5/107 Female 61.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 54%

Morning Folks,

Bawdy and the others who kindly posted yesterday regarding my calories...
I forgot about adding calories for exercise, so I think on the days when I'm more active, I'll add enough calories to cover the exercise too. I just have to remember where I saw that site that calculates calories for different type of exercise/min. lol I will lower my calories gradually, because I don't want to be hungry and start another problem.

On the lean meat issue, I've started eating just Fish and Fowl from the animal kingdom. Well, an occassional red meat when we're out for dinner, but very occassional. I'm trying to get my Omega 3's in anyway I can these days. I feel my past diet history has neglected them a lot and at my age I can't afford to lose one drop. I eat a lot of olive oil, salmon, and homemade mayo made with olive oil. But, at that, I'm still having a hard time keeping my ratios right. I about drove myself nuts yesterday trying to figure out exactly how much of what to eat. I may have to rely upon my protein shake for breakfast everyday instead of letting my mood decide what to eat first thing off. Hmmmm, I'm now wondering about Spirulina caps. I know they are a good source of protein, but do they have calories etc?

On the agenda for me today is weight lifting and Pilates. Sooooo, I guess I'd better pay attention of my calorie deficit today for sure. lol I need to put some miles on my pedometer today too, since yesterday was a bust. I purchased a new pedometer, since I accidentally donated mine to the cleaning staff at our local theater one night, and have not kept track of my walking since then. DH and I set the new one up last night, so things should be much easier from here on in. I can't believe how addicted to this little gadget I've become. lol

Everyone have a great day. And again, thanks for letting me join your wonderful group.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 08:01

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 255/230/140 Female 5'6
BF:63%
Progress: 22%

Figured I better move this over here, since I post so late at nite

I think I wrote about my one male friend a few weeks ago, trying to figure out why he was not having success with this WOL. I guessed that he was eating too many carbs, plus he never bothered to read the books. He figured since he lived at home, and his parents were doing it, he would just follow suit. Well, after this weekend, I pretty much gave up on him.

I met some friends over the weekend, including him. While he did cut way back on the amount of carbs he ate previously to this WOE, he consistently ate too many carbs, and the wrong type, such as pita bread, yeast rolls, tortilla chips (ok I was guilty of that too!), and so on. His excuse was that he was not going to worry about what he ate over the weekend. I guess I was a bit baffled, as I have found this WOL very easy to do anywhere. This compared to my old WW diet, where usually when I did travel or go on vacation I would "cheat". I could not understand his need to cheat.

I guess he is simply still not ready to do what it takes to lose his extra weight. It is frustrating because he really needs to lose. Yet, I cannot hold his hand. Maybe one day!!

Robin
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 08:58

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Morning,

I had a great time on my hiking trip. I wrote about it in my journal if anyone wants to read about it.

I have a busy day today, I will go back and read the last few days as soon as I can and see how everyone is doing.

Have a great day.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 09:42

Plan: Atkins-->PP
Stats: 250/211.0/170 Female 5'5"
BF: size 26/22/12
Progress: 49%

quick good morning.

robin--sounds too bad about your friend. you are right though, what is that saying, you can lead a horse to water, but not make him drink...

by the way, i think most of us read the day befores thread to see what we missed. so no need to worry about posting late. we will see it.

carbgirl--are you familiar with fitday.com? on that site there is a place to record your fitness as well as foods eaten. you can click on the link in my signature if you want to check it out.

dawn-- seee, you didn't have to be scared of the italian restaurant. great job on resisting the temptations!!

rob-- i went grocery shopping this weekend and got some cottage cheese. i already have pepperoni......now i just need to work up the guts to try your concotion!! is the protein shake chaser a must for the complede experience??? hehe

okay, maybe this was not so quick. have a great day!!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 09:52
Flutterby

Plan: All that make sense
Stats: 220/212/160 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 13%

Ellie-Love that song from yesterday.. its a fun song!

Unity-THANK GOD that is over... (smiles!) Tooo much number crunching going on in my life as it is!

Aci-Mondays are my days off too!! But starting next week, my Monday afternoons are now booked til May 8th...I am teaching the spring day class at the massage school-well-assistant teaching. My last 'round' of required assisting-then I will be eligible for my own class. I have to get the protein powder for the dobie muffins before I try them.

Bawdy-well, in spirit you may have been hotrodding, lol.. glad to hear that business is picking up!

Robin-just keep encouraging your friend but being real and honest is maybe what he needs, consistant, and seeing you doing it right! I have 2 friends that are beginning the atkins diet, yesterday in fact, and I am hoping they do well. I am a little concerned cause the one informed me that she has a 'full fridge of meat'.. that she bought $125.00 worth of meat...I was like dang girl, are you and the whole street you live on going on the diet together?

Orang-glad the swelling is going down! YAY!

Lissette-We need to come to your 'bootcamp' to work out!

My glutes and lower back are still troubling me, so I got up this morning to head over to the gym and I just felt that I should not go today..give it one more day to 'settle'...I have learned to pay attention to those "gut feelings."

I woke up STARVING! this morning! I havent felt 'hungry' in a long time like that! So, I just doubled my portion of the total protein l/c cereal and added a muffin to my breakfast.. and while I feel slightly full, I am still feeling... well.. 'off'... hmmm...maybe that is why I keep putting off doing my 'homework' in the Boundaries workbook for tonite's meeting?!?
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 11:02

BF:

Meg:
Continuing to pray for your family and your brother. Hope you can check in soon.

Bawdy:
Congrats on the new SUV - I have a similar vehicle and I love it. I understand the sadness of letting an old vehicle go - I cried when the Toyota I had for years (hubby was using it to drive back and forth to work for the last five) died. However, I did cartwheels when the minivan got rammed in the back and totalled... I'm just not a minivan kinda girl.

Wow re: method for curing your triggers.

Paris:
Welcome to the thread. Good to see you are talking with your OA sponsor about your eating changes. I'm on AA for a bit over 19 yrs.

Eight-c:
How is your daughter doing? Keeping you and her in my prayers.

Elaine:
Already praying for you and the upcoming surgery. Great that you are getting your body ready.

Kat:
How was the new LC Alfredo sauce?

Unity:
Sorry I prematurely aged you.

I wasn't completely recovered from the previous fall, but was close. The trail to the falls is gravelled so I didn't think it would be a problem - I didn't anticipate how wet it would be with the spray coming off the extra water from the snow-melt

Michele(acipenser):
How did the ice skating go? Glad you survived the snow-boarding.

Dawn:
Congrats on the loss of another pound - 7 lbs in Feb was awesome.

LOL re: .. I think I would make a more user friendly judge than Simon.

Glad you had a great time at the Italian Place. How did the Bible study go at the residential center? Glad you listened to your body re: workout - maybe I should give that a try

I use a coffee grinder to do my flax seeds - it is the perfect size for this.

I have no idea why sugar alcohols would stall people - I think it actually may have helped my loss as I was so sick I didn't care to eat.

Ellie:
Haven't had a chance to read the new Eades book yet - have heard mixed reviews

So happy to see you doing well with both food and exercise. Yoga - I wish I had the nerve to try it. Really glad you hung in there with the BCP's. They really helped me.

Will be trying the chicken recipe soon.

Hope the headache is gone and you can enjoy Vegas - the day at the spa sounds heavenly.

CarbGirl:
Welcome to the thread.

Glad to hear you will be raising calories a bit on exercise days. I'm with you on hedging our bets with hair color and plumping lipstick.

I'm considering getting a pedometer - any recommendations on brands or types?

Lissette:
Wow re: rain! You certainly get a workout doing the daily chores.

Giggling re: police - no more of them, but hubby will have to make a court appearance over that situation - as a witness not a defendant.

Re: hex fairy - she may have already visited my ex - he got hold of a bad batch of some sort of drug - he now has kidney failure. I saw him last week - he was in a motorized wheelchair and looked pretty awful. Not sure if this is permanent or not.

Robin:
Great to see you. Glad you have come to terms with friend's lack of willingness.

Smoothblu:
Glad you are back. Posted in your journal re: the hiking.

iwannabfit:
Great to see you here and nearly at goal. You go girl.

We have a noticable lack of Yeti tracks in this thread - somebody email or PM him and tell him I'm threatening to come to NJ and drag him off to the mountains....
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 11:14

BF:

Renee, regarding your comment on not being a minivan type of gal. A friend of mine has 2 kids and a small car. The 2 kids fit fine, but she's not able to share carpooling responsibilities and so is looking for a bigger car. Her DH wants her to get a minivan. She calls it a "Malaise car" -- the kind of car you get when you stop having . . . er . . . intimate relations!

And about overcoming the cravings. I have to stress it has nothing to do with eating so much of a certain food that you get sick over it. It has everything to do with giving yourself carte blanch permission to have it any time you like, in as large a quantity as you like. That's why you're supposed to have more in the house than you could possibly eat. And when the supply gets low, you buy more. All I can say is that it worked for me. I haven't had a single craving for either food (Doritos or Suzie Q's) for years.

And about the lack of Yeti tracks. I was sure that my wisecrack during the discussion of nutritional supplements ("Is Irish whiskey considered a nutritional supplement?") would bring him out of hiding.

Think he's still hibernating? Don't Yetis come out of hibernation in the early Spring?
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 11:23

Plan: PP
Stats: 264/255.2/180 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 10%

Orang, thanks for the prayers.

I am starting to get a little nervous, not sleeping too good worrying about everything and anything. Food's ok but to tell the truth, right now I am not worrying about all the tracking. I am eating pretty much the same stuff so I know I'm not doing any harm. Have felt very sore from fibro the last week, I also ran out of glucosamine so that might be part of it. I'm not supposed to take a lot of herbs, etc before surgery so I am basically taking a Twin Lab 2 a day with iron, and iron supplement (because of the self donations) vit E, which they want me to stop before the surgery,my synthroid, etc.Wondering if any of the other things I was taking was making me feel better?

Love the 'malaise" car.

Hi to everone else (I am lousy at commenting on all the posts but I DO read them!!)

Elaine
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 11:35

Plan: Protein Power maintenance
Stats: 18/12/10 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress:

Morning, would feel hypocritcal saying good One of those days I wished I had stayed in bed. My throat still hurts and sinuses burn when I breathe. Yoga was awesome last night, I feel stronger with each session. I also got the pillates magic circle and messed around with it for awhile last night. Needless to say there were quite a few 4 letter words coming out of my mouth...the magic circle is painful

Yesterday's Menu:
B - 1 egg over easy in tsp butter, 2.5 oz ham, 3 cups coffee w/H&H splenda

L - 1 very large chicken breast (recipe I posted yesterday) only ate 1/2, 2/3 cup mixed oreintal veggies tsp butter, crystal light lemonade

S - before yoga - 2 deviled eggs (2 halfs)

D - 1 large grilled pork chop, fat eaten, 1 TBS lc BBQ sauce, 1/2 cup SF cole slaw, 1 deviled egg, peach flavored water

Dessert 1/2 3 minute choc cake w/ whipped cream

My appetite continues to drop, don't know if it is from ketosis or not feeling well.

Song for today:

Take This Job and Shove It

#13   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 11:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/140/130 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%
Default Tuesday

Hi everybody!
I have been having such a tough time losing with this WOE so for the past 3-4 days have tried moving up from Atkins Induction and adding a few "good" carbs. Well, I promptly gained 2lbs. which put me 2lbs heavier than I have been for the past 2 years! So....back to Induction again. I wish I knew if my lack of success was due to making food mistakes or if it was because of my unstable thyroid (still juggling dosages ) Sheesh!!!! This is SO FRUSTRATING !

Meg: Let us know how things are going as soon as you can! Still praying!

Elaine: I guess I missed something...what kind of surgery are you headed for?

Renee: The Alfredo sauce was good. Used it to simmer boneless, skinless chicken
breast! Melt-in-the-mouth good!

Bawdy: You are stronger than I, Dungha Din! I don't think I could EVER turn down
my Breyer's Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream if I had it in the freezer all the
time.
I purchased an exercise mat yesterday and have ordered a pilates DVD (Pilates
for Dummies). Ready to get this thing in gear! Darn it!

Renee, I will be heading over your way the end of this month. I always go to Oak Ridge for my Mom's birthday and stay a week or so. She has terminal cancer and every year she thinks that will be her last birthday, but she keeps hanging in there (nearly 5 years now). Getting very weak now and in a lot more pain though.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 11:49

BF:

Giggling about the Maliase vehicle - hubby had the minivan (his ex's choice of vehicle - he got it in the divorce because she couldn't afford it) and a pick-up truck while we were dating. He took my beloved Toyota when got married because it got so much better gas mileage than the Caravan and he drives 65 miles each way to work. I hated that minivan, but it was more comfy with all the kids / grandkids. They have sportier models these days so it might not be so bad.
No (at least mine was cherry red):

Yes (what I drive now - same color):
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 11:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/140/130 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%
Default Tuesday

One more quick question!
Dawn or Renee or anyone down here in my "neck of the woods"...where can you find the DaVinci Syrups?