Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-07-05, 20:54

Plan: atkins
Stats: 166.4/160.4/140 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 23%
Angry three weeks and only 6lbs!? ouch!

yes, I feel better and my food cravings have vanished....but why is my weight loss so slow!? I am 3.5 weeks on induction and have been very faithful to the guidelines, yet only lost 6 pounds.

any helpful suggestions?

also, i'm getting really sick of meat and salad....
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-07-05, 23:38

Plan: modified
Stats: 173/159/150 Male 6 feet
BF:
Progress: 61%

6 pounds is still quite an accomplishment

you were only 166 lbs when you began, so don't expect the same amount and speed of weight loss as someone who weighs ~300 lbs. it will take a longer period of time.

post what you eat in a typical day. perhaps there's something you're overlooking
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-08-05, 00:43

Plan: protein power
Stats: 168.8/157.9/130 Male 5 foot 2 inches
BF:33.1/27/20
Progress: 28%

Quote:
Originally Posted by 251RRT
yes, I feel better and my food cravings have vanished....but why is my weight loss so slow!? I am 3.5 weeks on induction and have been very faithful to the guidelines, yet only lost 6 pounds.

any helpful suggestions?

also, i'm getting really sick of meat and salad....

Actually you are right on target . You can expect to loose 10% of your weight during induction and then its even slower . So as you want to loose 25 Lbs , you should have lost 2.6 Lbs during induction according to my calculations but you have lost 6 Lbs which is in excess .

Keep at it and remember variety is the spice of life
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-08-05, 00:56

Plan: No grains, no sugar.
Stats: 001/045/525 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 8%

You can eat a heck of a lot more than meat and salad. I can't cook (I actually screwed up when boiling eggs today), but I manage to eat all sorts of stuff. There is a section here with tons of recipes that look pretty dang good.

BTW, I've lost roughly 100 pounds in 7 months, and lose about 3-4 pounds a week. Want to trade loss rates -- and distances to goals?
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-08-05, 01:24

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 176/171/126 Female 165 centimeters
BF:
Progress: 10%

I had the same question in my mind why am I so slow in losing? But I guess I figured the answer as I have less to lose and so it will take time to lose. So just hang in there and the results will come slowly creeping in your weighing scale. Worth the effort then!!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-08-05, 02:26

Stats: 174/170/160 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 29%

Lets think positively now! You have lost and you haven't gained. I have found 160 to be almost like a wall to me. I can't wait to get under it. Only a couple to go but it will be a real accomplishment to me. I was thinking of having 140 as a goal (i'm 5ft 4) quite large frame. I reckon give it 6 weeks and we will be there girl!
I too felt sick of meat and salad but I had a couple of days eating fish fillets - see my recipe on Thread Recipes-Main Meals. That sorted me out. Don't forget cheese omelets with spinach in them.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-08-05, 07:56

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikdriver
You can eat a heck of a lot more than meat and salad. I can't cook (I actually screwed up when boiling eggs today), but I manage to eat all sorts of stuff. There is a section here with tons of recipes that look pretty dang good.

BTW, I've lost roughly 100 pounds in 7 months, and lose about 3-4 pounds a week. Want to trade loss rates -- and distances to goals?

Thanks for helping me put things in perspective as well as your "cooking tips"! 100lbs?! that's awesome, regardless of your distance goals. keep up the good work!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Apr-08-05, 08:01

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunky
Lets think positively now! You have lost and you haven't gained. I have found 160 to be almost like a wall to me. I can't wait to get under it. Only a couple to go but it will be a real accomplishment to me. I was thinking of having 140 as a goal (i'm 5ft 4) quite large frame. I reckon give it 6 weeks and we will be there girl!
I too felt sick of meat and salad but I had a couple of days eating fish fillets - see my recipe on Thread Recipes-Main Meals. That sorted me out. Don't forget cheese omelets with spinach in them.

Looks like we're in the same boat! I'm concentrating on the positives (like feeling better and not having food cravings) and trying to avoid being a scale slave. Thanks for your input and recipes and we'll keep attempting to jump over that "160" wall together!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Apr-08-05, 08:06

Stats: 162/132.5/120 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%

Hi! Sounds like we started about the same time with very similar stats and results so far. Why don't you start a journal. I am finding it helps me to have to write down everything I eat each day - it keeps me accountable. Visit my journal. Maybe we could help keep each other encouraged. Hopefully if we continue to stick with it we will see the results over time. Probably just not as quickly as we had hoped.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Apr-08-05, 11:17
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

If you look at it in terms of percentages, it's the same. People with more fat to lose do not lose faster, and people with less fat to lose do not lose slower.

If you start off with 100 pounds, a 10% loss is 10 pounds. If you are in the process of losing 20, 10% is 2 pounds.

Karen
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Apr-08-05, 12:40

Plan: restrt Atkns 2/10/05 ~218
Stats: 230/186/120 Female 65 inches
BF:don't/rub/itin
Progress: 40%
Thumbs up

"Ouch" my arse -- you're doing great! Think of it this way: to lose 6 lbs in 3 weeks, you'd have had to cut one thousand calories per day on a typical low-fat, low-calorie diet! Instead, you've eaten your fill every day of healthy foods that you wouldn't have been able to touch on a low-cal diet, you're not hungry, you feel better, and you've lost a significant percentage of your weight towards goal. I'd say that's wonderful! As for the 'meat 'n salad blahs,' don't forget fish and shellfish. Shrimp on the barbie, scallops in scampi sauce, a lovely pompano marinated in a little lime juice and olive oil. Pizza toppings on fresh mozzarella -- troll this site and google 'low carb recipes' -- you'll find a ton of them on the net. Keep it up -- you're doing great!
And kwikdriver -- WTG, guy!! Your loss is awesome!!
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Apr-09-05, 14:24

BF:
Default journal help!

I am sooooo computer challenged! Can anyone help explain how to start a journal? I've manueverd through the site and can't figure it out. Also, how does "My Plan" work? This is my first experience being in a forum. thanks in advance!
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Apr-09-05, 14:40

BF:

Well, you go to the Introduction thread and i think there is a link there to it. I started one so it can't be hard.
So click on the 'Active Low-carber Forums' link at the top of this page. Click on the Introduce yourself thread and then there is a thread marked as a sticky 'how to start a journal'. Click on that and away you go.

Journals are good ways of keeping in touch with people you meet in threads. They give you much needed motivation.
Hope to read your journal soon.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Apr-09-05, 14:43

Plan: Low Carb, Good Carb
Stats: 206/164/160 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

I only lost 6lbs in my first 3 weeks, but I am still hanging in there!
By co-incidence, 6lbs was 10% of my target loss.
You can do it!
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Apr-09-05, 14:48

BF:

251rrt i'm going to add yu to my buddy list and lets see who hits 159 first. we will get through that wall.