Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.S.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Sat, Apr-30-05, 12:03
Living LaVita LoCarb

Plan: 40% 40% 20%
Stats: 292/242/160 Female 64 inches
BF:Next mini goal 225
Progress: 38%

PlayDoh,

I was going to post in your journal... but you don't have one????
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Thu, May-05-05, 23:22

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 244/198/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 49%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyJourney
Willow Glen area. I think its West San Jose. I have been looking for a local person around here to go to the gym with and I cant find any. I think I am the only Low Carber around lol.

Hey Journey, I spent a lot of time in WG. My grandparents used to own the very last house on Lincoln before San Carlos. A beautiful white Hacienda. But they sold it and the new people put up a wall and it turned to crap.

I don't get to SJ often these days. Now that I live in a little town and work at home everything else seems to far away. Even when I want to go to the mall or big-time shoppin it's usually to Salinas instead of Oakridge.

Good luck on finding a LC buddy. I am glad this website is here. I don't know anyone within 50 miles of me doing LC personally. Maybe you can make a friend at the gym. I heard some ladies talking at my gym about doing Atkins and think I will approach them next time.
  #93   ^
Old Mon, May-23-05, 14:46

Plan: CAD
Stats: -/-/110 Female 60 In.
BF:
Progress:

Hi everyone! I live in the Central Valley area - Lemoore, (which is about 30 miles south of Fresno), but grew up in the Bay Area, (Benicia), and then married, lived in the San Pablo/El Sobrante area for 10 years and then moved to Stockton and Manteca for a couple of years. I did a brief stint in Colorado before moving to Lemoore, where I've been for about 9 years.

I've been doing CAD for about 12 years now, (off and on, as needed). I was watching an afternoon talk show about 9 months after my daughter was born in 1992, and heard Dr. Rachel Heller describing her diet plan. It piqued my interest, and I went out and purchased the book. The rest, as they say, is history. I remember soooooo many people looking at me in disbelief when I described the diet way back then. I kept telling everyone that carb controlled diets were the way of the future. Nobody believed me, they were still skeptical, even after they saw how well the plan worked on me. I guess I had the last laugh though, huh? Now we're seeing "Carb this" and "Carb that", everywhere. Ha!

Anyway, I always follow CAD when I feel the clothes starting to pull. I don't weigh because it causes too much mental stress for me. I've found it's just easier to "listen" and "watch" my body. I don't need the scale to tell me if what I'm eating is on plan or not, I know this WOL so well I could do it in my sleep. I don't always like to follow the plan, though, so whenever I feel comfortable with the size I am, (based on my clothing fit and the mirror), I will allow myself to go off-plan until it is needed again.

Well, sorry, I really didn't mean for this to be so long. I just planned to say "hi from Lemoore". I certainly can go on and on, sorry.

So, hello fellow Californians, and I'm happy to hear so many success stories. Keep up the good work.

loates
  #94   ^
Old Mon, May-23-05, 20:10
Living LaVita LoCarb

OMG... I was born and raised in Benicia.

Just by looking at the years you moved around I would lay odds that we know each other. Did you see by my name that it said Fairfield with Benicia in paranthesis.

Who are you.. I've got to know. You can see my first name and I graduated in the mid 70s not too many people in Benicia back then who had my 1st name.
  #95   ^
Old Tue, May-24-05, 08:41

BF:
Progress:

Cheryl R, I did notice Benicia under your name and wondered if I knew you. I graduated in 1982 though, so I've been wracking my brain trying to remember anyone from town, who was older than me, named Cheryl.

I did have a cousin who might have graduated around the time of your class, Gary Smith, I think he graduated in 1978, do you know him? Oh, and my name was Lisa Smith. My mother was pretty well known in Benicia, you mght have known her. She worked at the Tia Theresa for years, Betty Smith? And maybe you know her best friend, Cheena, who also worked there. Her niece, Kim Melendez dated my brother, Danny Cullen for a while. Another brother worked as a bartender around town in the late 70's, Kevin Cullen. I have nieces and an ex-sister-on-law who still live around there, and several cousins. My ex SIL's name is Lynn Musante, my nieces are Kelly and Amy Cullen (although they've both married and have different last names now, and Kelly is living in Napa, these days). My aunt, Jackie Smith, (now Presley), owned the old Driftwood Hotel, (I don't know the current name of the place), on West J Street, in 1976 +/-. Another aunt and uncle were the cooks at the Tia Theresa, and several cousins worked there in the kitchen also, Martha and Gary Smith, Mike, Laura and Cindy Smith. I have two younger siblings, Sherry Smith and Sean Smith, but I don't know what the chances are that you know them. Sherry did work at the Tia Theresa for a while and then at the Bronze Seal. Do any of these names sound familiar?

I miss Benicia, it is such a wonderful little town - sadly, I totally didn't appreciate it while I was growing up. Older and wiser now, I only wish I still lived up there.

Anyway, it's nice to meet a fellow Benician.
  #96   ^
Old Mon, Jul-11-05, 12:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 254/215/150 Female 64"
BF:C198/T126/H53/L120

Hey SF/Bay Area Low Carbers-there is a yahoo group designed to support folks in N calif! check out:

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/grou...rb_SF_Bay_Area/

Personally, I would love to hook up with some of you folks regularly for conversation, maybe potlucks, maybe even exercise partners. Walk around lake merritt, anyone??
  #97   ^
Old Fri, Jul-15-05, 15:23

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 230/230/160 Female 5 feet5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyce Pari
Near San Fran-Where in Cal are you?

Im in sacramento ,CA
  #98   ^
Old Mon, Aug-22-05, 17:17
Living LaVita LoCarb

H everyone. I've been away from the site for awhile. Any californian's still here?
I wish I could have come on sooner to talk to loates. I do know cheena if you come back on. I see you only posted 2 times so you might not be on anymore.
  #99   ^
Old Tue, Aug-23-05, 11:22

BF:
Progress:

Cheryl R. - I am still here, I'm just not much of a poster.

I was hoping you'd know Cheena, seems everyone does/did. She and my mother were best friends for years. Everytime I get to Benicia I make a point to stop by and see her. Unfortunately, I haven't been up there in quite a while now. Do you know how she's doing? I'm really terrible about calling, so I never really keep up with anyone up there. I just love loved Cheena to death, she was such a riot!

I'm glad to see you're back on, I was wondering what happened to you after my post. I've haven't been watching what I eat all summer, but I'm getting ready to get back on the wagon. Soon, very soon......
  #100   ^
Old Tue, Aug-23-05, 18:07
Living LaVita LoCarb

I know that Cheena went to their class reunion. My friend Mary told me that.

I knew Kim Melendes very well. I always though she was so adorable as a child. When I was a the swimming pool, she was younger and followed me around like a puppy dog. I'm 48 and graduated in 74 so your cousins are younger than me, and heck in high school you never paid attention to the jr high school kids.

But, I worked in Foster Freeze from 1974 until 1978 when I got pregnant with my daughter.

The only reletives I had that graduated in late 70's early 80's was nephews Steve Stanhope and Randy Kee. Not sure exactly what years though. My sister Dorothy Hall was class of 77 and my brother Ernest aka JR was class of 76.
I had nieces with the last name Frashik.

I grew up in the 700 block of West K street, accross from what used to be the old "tralor park". I lived in the pink house right in the middle of the block after the fields or gully. We had a big family so needed a big house. My parents had 10 kids. That's almost unheard of now.

Tia Teresas!!!! That place should have never closed. Of the people who worked there I only remember Cheena and one other lady who had long dark hair usually in a pony tail. I can see her face right now as sure as I'm sitting here. Memories.

Benicia being as small as it was back then, we must have run into each other before. But Smith... such a common name as was my name Hall.

I'm still trying to remember people about your age. Like Tracy Stoops, Lori Rahill I'm drawing a blank. Those were my babysitters and "younger" friends.

I went to Mary Farmar School it's still there.
  #101   ^
Old Tue, Oct-25-05, 22:10

Plan: VLC
Stats: 240/145/150 Female 69 inches
BF: 21%, HT: 69"
Progress: 106%

Anyone still here from Southern California. I thought I'd revive this thread since I am. In another thread I came across someone who had lived in my town. Actually, he found me.
  #102   ^
Old Tue, Oct-25-05, 22:37
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

San Diego is my hometown but I moved in May to Denver. I think I'll always be a Californian. Maybe moving back someday.
  #103   ^
Old Fri, Oct-28-05, 09:52

Plan: WW Core/South Beach
Stats: 245.6/211.9/160 Female 4' 11"
BF:32.6
Progress: 39%

Yep, I am still lurkin around in the back ground here in RC, CA.

Nanc
  #104   ^
Old Sun, Nov-06-05, 15:32
Living LaVita LoCarb

Hi everyone, just popping in to say hi.
How are all you CA people.

Let's all start a CA get togher. Maybe this summer, somewhere central CA. Maybe Fresno. I'm willing to go as far as LA.
  #105   ^
Old Fri, Mar-31-06, 18:14

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 273/273/160 Male 5'7"
BF:
Progress:
Question Erectile dysfunction

Hi I'm from Concord. I have lived with diabetes for awhile. Age 60. But now I have a new girlfriend in the Philippines. I found out that I have erectile dysfunction. Is there a natural way to treat this or do I have to use the expensive prescription drugs?