Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-21-01, 17:33
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Thumbs up

hi all, ...

I've been playing with different weight and food intake trackers around the net ... some you have to pay for, some are free ... the software that you pay for is great, you can use it in complete privacy offline. Weight Commander is a good one, there are others as well.

Many of the "health and fitness" sites offer a free diet, weight and exercise tracker of sorts, they are pretty much based on the current lowFAT food pyramid mythology. CyberDiet is reasonable, and easy to use..... but not all that helpful for logging carb intake. I had been using CBS Healthwatch ... which is a terrific site by the way ... but the health-tracker tool was a bit cumbersome and took quite a few clicks to get to each section - daily weight, food intake, exercise log... etc.. It is set up as a calendar, so each day is easy to track ... but I felt they asked for an awful lot of personal info.

I recently discovered Fitday.com...... this site is terrific! Also FREE. You set your own goals, and the food intake guide is based on YOUR preferences, so it is perfect for any diet, low CARB, low FAT and low CALORIE. There is a weight tracker..... my only complaint is they log yer weight on a graph against a BMI chart. That's ok I guess.... but I'm 5'6", and it shows my ideal weight at 115 lbs......... I don't think so....

By customizing your personal goals, you can make it show daily preferences... for example..... I have set my personal nutrient goals at minimum 60 gm protein, maximum 30 gm carbs, minimum 10 gm fiber, minimum 1200 calories......... and it will log this for you...... not like the other sites, which will scream at you if you eat "too much" protein or fat.

Fitday.com also includes journal pages, and a place where you can track calories in versus calories burned ..... (a bit off, in my opinion, but fun nonetheless) ...

This site gets a hearty thumbs UP from me. I have logged in, and am using it ..... I love it actually..... Great site. Hope there's something useful for you ...

http://www.fitday.com

Doreen

Last edited by doreen T : Mon, Feb-26-01 at 17:57.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-21-01, 19:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/162/135
BF:
Progress: 0%

i love fitday.com as well doreen. on another board, everyone sings the praises of lifeform. it costs money!!! i like looking at the pie charts. i think it's a fun site too.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-25-01, 12:17

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Smile Just discovered Fitday

Hi Doreen and Debbie,
I registered with Fitday last night, and it is great! Thank you for the recommendation. I still have some concerns as to what I'm eating though, so will post that on a different thread.
Cheral
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-26-01, 03:32
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I used fitday.com for a while, but what I found frustrating was that 0 carb count was listed for smaller amounts of items such as 1 Tbsp. whipping cream or mayonnaise. After I signed up, I mysteriously started receiving huge amounts of spam. Hmm?

Karen
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-26-01, 10:36
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally posted by Karen ..... what I found frustrating was that 0 carb count was listed for smaller amounts of items such as 1 Tbsp. whipping cream or mayonnaise.
Hi Karen,
You've brought up a really good point.... .. For any of these food counters and trackers, always pay attention to the counts that are listed. Even Atkins lists these foods, and cheese as well, at 0 carbs. It's still a good idea to have a reliable nutrient data source, such as Corrine Netzer's "Complete Food Counts" book. Or, use the label on the food, if there is one ... the brand you've chosen may be quite different from the "standard" used by the tracker.

For the record, Fitday has updated its database..... and the counts are more accurate.... mayo is listed at 0.373 carbs per Tbsp, 35% whipping cream is 0.831 carbs per fl. oz, which is 2 Tbsp.

The food diary is customizable, and you can edit the counts they give you, as well as create your own list, such as your favourite lowcarb recipes. I've made a list of things I consume on a regular basis...... such as a 10 oz mug of coffee plus 1 Tbsp cream. ..... Spent an hour one afternoon making up my list ..... now all I have to do is point and click ....

happy lowcarbing everybody!

Doreen