Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-07-01, 10:48
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Smile

hi all,

Well, for a whole lot of reasons, I find the dial on the scale creeping back up to numbers that make me cringe. No, I haven't "fallen off the wagon" or gone on a wild binge (maybe I should have, woulda made it worthwhile .. .) Oh well, time to stop shoulding on myself, get up off my big, fat chair, and do something postitive!

So, I'm back on strict Induction for the next couple of weeks. By the book too. I will be following the menus to the letter EXCEPT I will not be eating the desserts. Diet gelatin it shall be. And I'll be substituting the tofu cream recipes I posted for the whipped cream and sour cream in the Atkins menus.

Being a chronic dieter for decades now, I have found in my past experience that having a basic menu PLANNED in advance increases my odds for being successful. It just doesn't work for me to "wing it" from day to day. My problem isn't that I go overboard, but more that I UNDEREAT, and there I am at the end of the day, realising I've only eaten 10 carbs and not nearly enough protein ....... and here it is the evening....... sometimes I eat, sometimes I don't, but I think for myself personally, that a big load of food in the evening - even if it is lowcarb - really, really goes AGAINST my weight loss efforts. ***Note, to all you folks I've preached at about undereating in the past........ just want you to know I preach from personal EXPERIENCE ...

So, wish me luck please. And I'll keep y'all posted how I do.

thanks, Doreen
(205/over175/145)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-07-01, 22:34
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Good luck Doreen! I'm forcing myself to have breakfast now days, and will be shooting for at least 4 meals a day, building up my metabolism.

Wa'il
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-07-01, 23:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%
Default Best o'luck, Doreen!

Go for it, you can do it!

The scale hasn't been moving for me either, the last 6 weeks or so. On the other hand, I usually GAIN weight in the winter, so this is progress of sorts. I'm hoping to see a shift when the weather improves somewhat, my mood picks up, and I can get outside more.

How's the SAD? We've been having spring here in Vancouver up till today, but there's a SNOW warning for tonight - the first snow this winter...blast and damn, I hate the stuff! We're starting to get our first little leaves and flowers, hope they don't all freeze.

Rachel
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-08-01, 01:35
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Yes, best of luck Doreen!

Even though know what's right for us, why do we find it so hard to do. I know you'll do it!

Karen
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-08-01, 19:34
Forum Founder

BF:
Default aaawww.........thanks

I guess this means I can't back out now! ..

I'm all set to start in the morning. Why tomorrow and not today? Well, there was this perfectlygood-notadarnthingwrongwithit grapefruit in the fridge ...

I have "the Book" at my side. I have printed out two weeks worth of fill-in-the-blank menu sheets to stick on the fridge; they look something like this :
  • Brekkie: 20 gm protein___________ 5 gm carbs_________
  • Lunch : 20 gm protein___________ 5 gm carbs__________
  • Supper : 20 gm protein__________ 8 gm carbs_________
  • Snack : 10 gm protein__________ 2 gm carbs_________
I thought this might allow me to be flexible from day to day, but at least would help me remember when and how much to eat. I've got a double batch of my version of Revolution Rolls in the oven - http://www.lowcarb.ca/recipes/bread108.htmlThe weather is going to be absolutely dreadful here tonight and tomorrow (more snow and freezing rain, YUK .. .), perfect to stay indoors and roast up a leg of lamb.

I also figured it would be a good idea to do a little more exercise than I have lately. So, I hauled out the rebounder (a.k.a. mini-trampoline). I prayed that my neighbours below me were away, lest they phone the superintendent in a panic that a herd of wild oxen was stampeding overhead. Well, it seems my cat likes this thing too. Here I am, trying to do the moves, jump, kick, bounce, puff ..... and this stupid feline is meowing and weaving in and around my feet, just having a grand time bouncing right along with me..... Never a dull moment at my place!

I can do this, I'm just hoping that there will be some result for my effort. My body tends to go into rebellion. I'd better dig out the measuring tape, haven't done that in a while either.

Doreen

Last edited by doreen T : Mon, Feb-26-01 at 19:51.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Feb-10-01, 12:52
Forum Founder

BF:
Arrow day 2

Okay, so far so good. Not in ketosis yet, but drinking a lake's worth of water anyway...... No cravings, in fact it's just like when I was on Stillman last fall...... I am not hungry and am having to force myself to eat... until the evening "munchies" strike.

Had a bit of an adventure this morning. I'm trying to up the exercise level... difficult to do in the middle of a bad fibromyalgia flare, but hey...... I live on the 9'th floor of my building. This morning, I had this extremely BRILLIANT idea that I would take the stairs up from the laundry room in the basement, rather than the elevator. Now, I knew enough not to try nine flights straight up. I thought it would be quite effective and aerobic to take one level at a time, walk the length of the hall to the stairs at the other end, and so on to the top. I was worried about aggravating my hip and knees, which are giving me grief these days. Anyway, I climbed and walked quite briskly, and you know what?? My knees didn't bother me at all. But I thought my CHEST was going to EXPLODE .....

I am SO out of shape ....

Doreen, on Induction for the third or fourth time around. Oh well, as my signature line says :
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-21-01, 12:16
Forum Founder

BF:
Unhappy I'm so discouraged

Well, it's been two weeks on Induction. Ketosis yes, light to moderate. I've been eating around 15 carbs a day, after fiber subtracted. No lowcarb treats or desserts, not even SF jello. I'm diligently measuring and weighing everything that has carbs in it - flax meal, wheat bran, lowcarb protein shakes, green vegetables, herbs & spices, and coffee. I'm still hitting 2 or 3 large mugs every morning, and I like it strong. And with cream.... although I've cut the cream way back.... I'm carefully measuring EXACTLY 1 Tbsp for each mugful. *sigh* I'll try going with only one mug of coffee, then switch to tea, which I drink clear.

Up to yesterday, my efforts were rewarded with a single pound of weight lost. Whoop-de-doo. Then, I had a whoosh of sorts.... fluid shift I guess..... and 3 lbs came off ... my ankles sure are less puffy today. It's also been weeks since I'd indulged in some wine..... so I bought a bottle of bone-dry Chardonnay..... made the leftover roast turkey go down so much easier! .. .. After two glasses, I realized I'd hit my limit... so I immediately poured the rest of the bottle into a jar,,,,, added a slightly crushed clove of garlic,,, couple of bay leaves, red peppercorns, some rosemary, and just a dash of balsamic ..... should make a nice marinade for chicken breasts or pork.... and the temptation to drink it has been removed. And, I'm still in ketosis today, and the 3 lbs are still off, although I'm sure the alcohol will catch up to my glycogen stores soon. I'm really pushing the water today also...

I don't know if anybody reads my long exhortations at all ... just hope maybe there's a tidbit someone else might find helpful. I have absolutely NO support, so it kinda helps me to write about it here. Hope nobody minds.

Doreen
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-21-01, 14:45

Stats: 162/162/135
BF:
Progress: 0%

doreen, congratulations on your 4LB LOSS!!! give yourself a pat on the back, stand tall and walk proud. 4lb in 2weeks is a perfect amount to lose. as a health professional, you know this. your probably tell people all the time to aim for 1-2lb per week. lol!!!
don't be disappointed. you're doing a great job sticking-with-it. i seem to wimp out every weekend. i have a couple of drinks on friday night with my husband and my willpower flies out the window. i'll try to be strong like you this friday and limit myself to 2.
good job!!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Feb-21-01, 17:20

Stats: 145?/131/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:
Default Good Stuff!!!

Way to go Doreen. I know you've been really working hard at moving those scales back down again.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Feb-21-01, 23:21

BF:
Thumbs up Good on you, Doreen!

Way to go, kid! As Debbie says, 4 pounds is pretty good in two weeks, even if some of it is water loss...who needs all that extra water anyway? You're doing fine. I'm still at my pre-Xmas weight - but no gain this winter, unlike most winters - so I'm not too too unhappy. When my mood picks up later this spring, I'll be back on induction too. Keep up the good work, you're an inspiration!

Rachel
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Feb-22-01, 11:59
Forum Founder

BF:
Red face thanks

Gee, you folks are terrific ... just the right mix of hug, rah-rah, and boot-in-the-ass that I need. *LOL*

I guess I'm just frustrated over the fact that I'd worked really hard to lose 30 of the 60 lbs I needed to lose, only to gain back 15 in the space of 10 weeks. I kept the treats to a minimum over Christmas ... basically was lowcarbing all along ... but 6 weeks of a new med. (which I've stopped) plus less exercise (I really miss my long hikes.... the trails are just too icy and treacherous right now) and it was like a reverse-whoosh..... I found myself staring at my bloated face in the mirror, my jeans getting tight and uncomfortable - blah, blah ... whine, whimper.....

So, I know well enough that 4 lbs is great, better off than not...... but I've still got my headspace stuck on the fact that I am 11 lbs heavier than I was mid-December...... and I did not cheat or go on a wild carb orgy. That's what bothers me...... and makes me think that I may have to live the rest of my life at Induction level ... and Yes, I know exercise is a key to boosting my metabolism... and I'm trying to develop a program within the bounds of my disability and other health problems... whine, whimper ...

On a brighter note ... the 4 lbs are still off ,,,, my body did not go into rebellion from the wine the other night, as I thought it would. But I won't indulge too often .... wow, 2 glasses and the room was spinning.

happy lowcarbing everybody,
Doreen
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Feb-22-01, 12:37

BF:
Unhappy Excercise

I know what you meen, Doreen, I think exercise really is the key. I think I have to accept the fact that, despite all my good intentions, I just can't seem to get it together to exercise during the winter months (too wet, too cold, too tired...yah, I know, excuses, excuses). Hopefully when the weather picks up I'll be out in the park for an hour or so a day. It does seem to make all the difference.

Rachel
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Feb-26-01, 12:26
Forum Founder

BF:
Smile slow, but steady progress

hi all,
Down another 2 lbs, so I'm getting closer to my pre-December weight ... then I can knuckle down to "losing" again. It's weird, I feel like my weight loss is "on hold" at the moment ... as though this period of gain and loss I'm experiencing right now isn't part of the process. I'm really good at denial, maybe that's what it is - these weeks will just be a blank on my mental weight loss graph. When I've reached 175 lbs again, then I'll start recording again.

As for exercise, I had a plan to start back at a local fitness center. I used to be a member a couple years ago, but had to stop going because I had severe reactions to the chlorine in the pool...... bad skin rashes, and then even the odour began triggering migraines (fibromyalgia is affectionately known as the "Irritable Everything Syndrome"). Well, history is repeating itself, unfortunately ... even just using the treadmill and machines ....... the chlorine smell makes me nauseous and my head spins. Phewww!

On a happier note, it will soon be spring, the ice and snow will melt away, and I can enjoy my long walks again (although the trails will be squishy till May at least) And my rebounder is lots of fun, if I can just get the cats to stay off it...

happy lowcarbing,

Doreen
205/184/145