Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 09:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 206/183/145 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hey Fiona:

My doc just told me that the gut, yeast infection I have been fighting for the last 8 years may be caused by low thyroid.

I will know FOR SURE if I have it next wednesday but there is a strong family history of it on Mom's side. I'm SOOO excited by the notion of getting the fungus under control that I'd be happy if they told me I had a curable form of cancer
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 09:43

Stats: 206/183/145 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hi Kent-
You information is fascinating on Yogurt and how I wish it weren't true.
I occasionally eat the FULL FAT, NO ADDITIVES (MOUNTAIN HIGH OR DANNON) variety - PLAIN. However, it does have carbs.
Interesting what you say about the reports of gut disruption. I will keep an eye on this.

The ONLY food I do not have a problem with is: FLAXSEED. In fact, it is the only food that makes me feel good and stops all the muscle aches and pains throughout my body. I do know that the EFA's are good for my thyroid and there are some vitamin B's in the seed, which is also good for my thyroid. The fiber is GREAT for my bowels (as I always seem constipated, no matter how much vegetable matter I consume and psyllium just gives me troubles, that's why I switched over to flaxseed).
Woops, I'm rambling but I wanted to mention these items for others with fungal infections - FLAXSEED has been a godsend for me

Kent, why is milk protein so bad for problems in the gut? I do happen to have a mild allergy to it (blood work results) but thought that was unique to myself.
What happens in the process of cheese that removes the milk protein? OR did I misunderstand that?
Thanks
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 15:29

Stats: 256/220/215 Male 78 inches
BF:36/28/20
Progress: 88%

Hi Jeanne:

The worst thing about milk and intestinal diseases is the lactose milk sugar. Many people are lactose intolerance because they lack the lactase enzyme. The sugar also feeds the bacteria and yeasts.

Milk protein is another problem. It seems "leaky gut syndrome" allows some of the milk protein to enter the blood stream, activate the body's immune system and forever sets up an autoimmune response to any future intake of that protein. Cheese may have this effect but to a lesser degree. I don't know why there is a difference.

Cheese has its own problems and should not be eaten by anyone with a Candida yeast infection. Otherwise it is great food for low-carb and intestinal disease without Candida. Aged hard cheese is best. Swiss is great.

Flaxseed does have some problems. The oil is 60% Omega-3 alpha-linolenic fatty acid and is the reason so many people recommend it. However, the bodys of many people cannot break the alpha-linolenic acid into EPA and DHA fatty acids that the body requires. Tests on nursing mothers have shown that flaxseed oil does NOT increase the EPA and DHA fatty acids in the blood or milk and the baby could still be deficient in the Omega-3 fatty acids.

Flaxseed Oil Does Not Increase Essential DHA in Breast Milk.

Cod liver oil does not have this disadvantage. It contains the EPA and DHA fatty acids directly. It also is a great source for vitamin D which has been shown to prevent many types of cancer. Dr. Atkins recommend taking Omega-6 GLA fatty acid. Borage oil is my preferred source for GLA and Carlson's lemon flavored cod liver oil is the best cod liver oil. Be careful to avoid rancid brands of fish oil which may also be low in EPA, DHA and vitamin D.

Many people have trouble getting rid of a yeast infection because they continue to eat some of the restricted foods. The same can be said about intestinal diseases. Carbohydrate addictions are much harder to break than some people realize. They will rationalize forever to justify the continue consumption of foods such as nuts, honey, yogurt and fruit if only some says they are OK. Healing is fast when the diet is highly restricted. That is why my "Starting Diet" is this way.

Bowel Diseases and Candida - News You Can Use.

Let us know how you are doing.

Kent

Last edited by Kent : Fri, Aug-29-03 at 15:33.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 15:53
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Just to add to what Kent stated, re-milk protein.

It's specifically the casein which causes the allergenic and leaky gut problems, apart from lactose intolerance. Casein has the ability to coagulate or "curdle" which is a vital property for making cheese and yogurt. However, whey protein isolate, which has been microfiltered or ultrafiltered, has NO casein in it, only lacto-albumin, lacto-ferrin, lacto-globulin, sero-globulin, immune globulin and glyco-peptides. These proteins are easily digested and are very healing for the gut.

Be aware that not all whey proteins are micro- or ultrafiltered, and some may still have traces of casein in them -- read labels carefully. Don't use plain powdered whey at all .. it's very high in carbs because it has the residual lactose leftover from the cheese-making process.

hth,

Doreen
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-03, 17:38

Stats: 293/266/140 Female 68ins
BF:How about cuddly??
Progress: 18%
Question lactose intolerance

Couple of questions......

IF some one was born with a degree of lactose intolerance, does the lactose intolerance alone make them more suseptible to candida??

Currently I am suspecting it for my failure to loose much weight. Although I do acknowledge I have lost, for the effort I have maintained it seems insignificant.
I have never suffered much from cystitis nor thrush, but have developed itchy ears with exudates, which the doctors say is either eczema or psoritis. I am now suspecting it is in fact candida. Is this possible ??
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-03, 19:27

Stats: 256/220/215 Male 78 inches
BF:36/28/20
Progress: 88%

Hi lil^Ms^Pen,

The low-carb diet with additional candida restrictions is healthy for everyone and the best approach for anyone with an intestinal problem. Keep the dietary fat and calorie level moderate in order to lose weight. Give it a try.

Kent