Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-02-06, 15:11
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/205/170 Male 6
BF:
Progress: 77%
Default Weight training for strenght and size

What are some of the results that people have had on here in terms of actually gaining musculature while lo-carb dieting. It'd be nice to be able to lose body fat while lo-carbing.

I'm just wondering about the possibilities of gaining lean muscle mass (not just water but actual tissue) while lo carbing and losing adipose tissue. Do these diets allow the chemical environment necessary to build muscules?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-02-06, 17:33

Stats: 500/100/101 Male 70 inches
BF:6%
Progress: 100%

I imagine it's possible, but if you look at the big guys, they bulk and cut. During bulk they eat a ton of food, 6000 calories, 300 protein, and do little to no cardio. Then on cutting they switch to low carb and tons of cardio.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-02-06, 19:25

Plan: Moderate Atkins
Stats: 335/277.6/235 Male 6' 6"
BF:
Progress: 57%

This is very possible, but like every lifting schedule, it is a devotion to yourself!!! You have to stay focused and know what you want...I'm in the process of doing this myself...and low-carb is working great!!! I've lost 16 pounds in just 2 1/2 weeks, I'm still on induction and I'm going to the gym everyday (not that this is needed, 3 or so is fine)

Be sure to keep your cardio up and remember....if you are weight training, you will lose body fat and gain muscle at the same time so don't be fooled by the scale...you're losing if the numbers are slowly droping. Try to go by the mirror, or better, the way you feel!!

If your diet is ketogenic, be sure to up your protine so that your body (and muscles) have fuel to run on....Carbohydrate isn't our bodies only source of energy you know!

feel free to join our mens group on the challenges and buddies page, you're welcome there anyday for any reason!!

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...t=304593&page=3

and for funny inspiration...here is a video link of me drumming...a good reason why low-carb is the life for me...check it out...

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?f...d=986214570&n=2
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-03-06, 21:17
Registered Member

Plan: Carbs not
Stats: 159/124/130 Female 67 inches
BF:Playing the field
Progress: 121%

Not a man here, but lcgroom2b, can I ask what your training regimen is? I might take a look at the site you linked as well. Thanks for the input.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-03-06, 23:07

BF:

No Problem! I'm not sure what you ment by training regimen...help me out here, I probably just don't know the language yet!!! lol
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-04-06, 00:26
Registered Member

Stats: 320/205/170 Male 6
BF:
Progress: 77%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcgroom2b
No Problem! I'm not sure what you ment by training regimen...help me out here, I probably just don't know the language yet!!! lol

He's just asking you to tell him your sort of schedule and what it is you accomplish, if you have any. A routine, if you will. Do you have aim?
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Aug-04-06, 07:12

BF:

lol...well, I leave 48 hours between muscle groups. I do my upper body one day, my lower the next, and cardio the third day..then I repeat and take Sunday off.

My goal right now is weight loss but muscle gain is a factor later in the game for me. I would really like to shape my abs and a sexy back and chest wouldn't hurt...lol

I'm not sure if that helps any but...thats what I'm doing. I'm trying to move to more free-weights, that may count for something as well...

Ty
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Aug-04-06, 08:07
Registered Member

Plan: Carbs not
Stats: 159/124/130 Female 67 inches
BF:Playing the field
Progress: 121%

HtotheIzzo, thanks for clarifying my question. I'm a she.

lcgroom2b, thanks for the input. I'm also alternating days between upper and lower and find it works well for me. Yes, work on the abs, go for it! I've got abs now, and it's a great feeling.

Keep us posted on your training.