Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-05-10, 12:54

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 150/130/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 80%
Default Initial success--lower protein--more fat

I had been following Protein Power and eating a lot of protein, actually, and keeping the fats sort of low, and kept the carbs from 20-30 per day.

After being diagnosed with diabetes two months ago, I've been testing and find that, while the numbers are well below 140, they fluctuated quite a bit, and my fasting level in the morning was often 115 or higher.*

Then I found "The Rosedale Diet" by Ron Rosedale, MD, which put some of the chemistry in perspective. His approach is to keep the leptin level low by eating high fats and moderate protein (along with low carb). According to his advice I was eating too much protein, and especially in the evening. I also discovered Jenny Ruhl and bought her book, "Blood Sugar 101". Her perspective is about the same as Rosedale, but she also adds a lot of pracical advice and tips about controlling diabetes (Rosedale's book is more focused on weight loss).

With this new information, I readjusted my eating plan to lower the protein to about 50 g per day, eating the greater amount for breakfast and lunch, with a only a small portion for supper, and none after that. I increased my fat consumption, keeping the carbs about the same.

Well, I am pleasantly surprised that there was immediate lowering of my bg levels. They hover around 95 to 110 during the day (even after eating) and have dropped into the high 80s a couple times. But best of all, my fasting readings these last two mornings were 96 and 98.

I've very happy about this new trend, and I am confident that I can reach normal levels most of the time.

* Dr. Rosedale explains that eating large amounts of food, especially protein, in the evening can cause the liver to dump glucose into the blood stream during the night. I believe that's what was happening with me.

Now if I can only get rid of the "munchies" in the evenings. Old habits are hard to break!
Sponsored Links