Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-01, 10:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 135/128/110
BF:
Progress: 28%
Cool Could anyone help me with a basic grocery list to get me started? =)

Going shopping tonight, have to restock the entire cupboard and fridge basically lol...Anyone have a basic list to get started with, so I don't end up getting something I shouldn't? Lol
~Amy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-01, 11:04

BF:
Lightbulb Nevermind

I found what I need in the Atkins book, sorry to bother you all by jumpin the gun hehe
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-01, 14:42

Stats: 244/218/144
BF:48/42.3/22
Progress: 26%

I just went yesterday...I bought

Lots of eggs, cheeses[different varieties], meat of all kinds, sour cream, butter, some salad fixin's, actually I like the prepackaged salads, but watch you don't get the one with carrots. [ It looks like just a small amount, but holy, I must have spent 3/4 of an hour trying to pick all the carrot bits out.] salad dressings, [watch the carbs] frozen spinach, cabbage, cauliflower, mayo, heavy cream and half and half, and pork rinds. I think that was about it.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-01, 15:21

BF:

LOL on picking all the carrots out =) That sounds traumatic hehe

Well I made up a pretty good list, the problem is I don't really eat veggies but I do like simple salads, and I love cucumbers, so I should be ok. Plan on starting the induction tomorrow, except problem is that my last day will be Thanksgiving which is my FAVE holiday and mashed potatoes and gravy are an awful weakness wish me luck !

Am I allowed to use italian dressing instead of the oil and vinegar the book says? It's the only dressing I really like, if I can't I also like salads plan so I should be all set either way lol

Anyone have any ideas on peanut butter and if there is a low carb one? the one in my cabinet has 7 grams, and I love peanut butter and celery, thought it might make a nice snack if I can find a low carb kind.

#5   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-01, 16:04
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

hi Amy,

I buy natural peanut butter from a natural or health foods store (some groceries carry it as well, if they have a natural foods section). It's just peanuts and that's it. No sugar, no hydrogenated fats. Kraft makes a sugar-free PB, but I think it does have hydrogenated fat in it (to make it smooth) .. that's the thing with the natural stuff .. the oil separates out .. So, what ya do is mix it thoroughly then keep it in the fridge.

Natural peanut butter runs around 7g carbs, minus 2.5g fiber (fiber isn't absorbed) so that's 4.5g per 2 Tbsp ... that's not too bad, but maybe best to wait till after the two-weeks of Induction .. .. If you do go to a natural foods store, check out some of the other natural nut butters. Almond butter is yummy, and similar carbs as PB.

You can mix the peanut butter with some softened butter too (NOT margarine ... poison, ickkk ptooo-ey!! ) which will stretch it further, for no added carbs. (Thanks to whoever suggested that recently, I can't remember but it's a great idea)

I keep small cans of tuna, salmon, sardines and smoked fish handy. These usually have a flip-top, so are fast and convenient for snacks. I just love those tiny smoked Norwegian sardines. Yum!!

Bottled salad dressings are fine, just make sure you count the carbs carefully. I use them too (I like ranch) ... what I do is mix 1 Tbsp of the dressing with 1 Tbsp olive oil. The dressing goes further, and the oil adds zero carbs, and good monounsaturated fatty acids ... Avoid the "light" and "lowfat" salad dressings, and lowfat mayonnaise too ... these have sugar and starch added to make up for the missing fat.

Doreen
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-01, 22:45
Registered Member

Stats: 207/200.5/140 Female 62 inches
BF:43%
Progress: 10%

The following was posted on asdl-c as a suggestion for a shopping list. Not sure if this was for one week or two, or how many people it was intended to feed, but if it helps generate some ideas, then great...

10 lbs chicken thighs or chicken breasts, cook 1/2 on shopping day, freeze
the rest in dinner size portions
2 dozen eggs
6 cans of tuna
10 pound of 16% ground beef, cook 1/2 on shopping day, freeze the rest in
dinner size portions
2 boxes Lipton onion soup mix
6 cans of beef broth
6 cans of chicken broth

celery
zucchini or yellow squash
red or yellow pepper
green onions

6 cans french cut green beans
2 canned mushrooms

alfredo sauces, 2 plain, 2 with cheese and garlic or whatever ;^)

zip lock bags
============

Take the 10 pounds of beef and divide in 2 parts. Take one part and place
in a large dutch oven and add two cans of beef broth and one envelope Lipton
onion soup mix. Add two cans of water to that and bring the entire mixture
to a boil over medium heat stirring to break up the beef into smaller
pieces. REduce to simmer and continuing cooking until all the moisture is
gone. Cool the beef and then place into ziplock bags in 2 cup portions.
Freeze. Now you always have something ready to heat and eat!! I add this
to alfredo sauce and serve over french cut green beans. Very tasty and
really lowcarb.

======

Now with the chicken, take half boil it in chicken broth until the meat
falls from the bone, remove bones and skin (if using boneless cook until the
chicken looks like shreds) return chicken to dutch oven, and conitue cooking
until moisture is absorbed, add some chopped red pepper and chopped green
onion for the last 10 minutes of cooking. Remove from heat. Divide into 2
cups portions and place in ziplock bags. Now you have chicken for chicken
taco salads, or chinese chicken soup!

Anyway, have fun and good luck!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-01, 22:57

BF:
Default Wonderful thanks!

Thank you everyone for your helpful posts and ideas!
I ended up with all the right stuff it appears, with some modifications, I don't really like a lot of veggies will have to make do with what I do like for now til I get bored and have to branch out hehe
I also got a smaller portion of a pot roast type meat, calle Beef chuck underblade roast boneless. I don't really know what to do with it lol..I have a low pan I can cook with in the oven,cover with tin foil if i need to...any recipies for cooking roast in the oven that anyone knows of, and for smaller portions? It weighs just under 2 and 3 quarter pounds...any information would be helpful, as I never really cooked much before this, besides pasta lol
I also got Centrum Multi-Vitamin I hope this is a good one, had lots of ingredients, think I still need the fatty acid supplement? Assuming I can get at a health food store
Going to start induction tomorrow, I will start my journel then!
Take care !
~Amy
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-01, 23:55
Registered Member

Plan: SMD
Stats: 160/151/135
BF:
Progress: 36%
Default Prepared!

Looks like you're ready to go! We look forward to your success!

mg