Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jun-02-12, 14:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 199/000/000 Female 5"3'
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default “In Defense of Fat” is a Documentary Project That Needs Our Support

In Defense of Fat is a Documentary Project That Needs Our Support
Meet Kennon Hulett, an independent film maker and editor based in New York City. She graduated from the Tisch School of the Arts with a dual major in film production and dramatic writing and has worked on documentary and feature film projects both large and small. She’s in her 20′s and has struggled with her weight all her life.
“I started as a fat kid and it led to me becoming a fat adult,” Kennon said. The the more she followed the “healthy” low fat diet commonly recommended, the heavier she became. She tried every diet and was not successful until she visited the Comprehensive Weight Control Program at the Weill Cornell Medical College-New York Presbyterian Hospital under the direction of Louis J. Aronne, M.D., F.A.C.P. There they view obesity as a disease and each patient is tested and treated as an individual with varying and specific needs.
Kennon’s Re-education
Her individualized program included using metformin to control her blood sugar. It got rid of her insulin resistance and helped her lose 70 pounds and feel much healthier than she did before. Her experience in gaining control of her health started her thinking about why people get fat and stay fat even though mainstream medicine claims to have all the answers, and awareness about obesity is at an all-time high.
Like many of us, Kennon is not at her goal weight, but she is reclaiming her health and making peace with her body. “We are incredibly beautiful and organic machines,” she says. “I have to deal with what I’ve been given and I want to do good things for myself and for others.”
Reeducating herself about nutrition and the body led Kennon to the Paleo lifestyle and Ancestral Health. The Ancestral Health movement forwards the theory that the human body is not adapted to an agricultural diet (specifically wheat and other grains), and especially not to the many processed foods we consume everyday. Ancestral Health proposes that returning to a diet similar to that of our pre-agricultural hunter-gatherer ancestors could curb many illnesses linked to the Western diet, including diabetes and obesity. As a result, we are now learning that “healthy” low fat diets and “essential” carbohydrates may actually increase the rates of diabetes and obesity, and that dietary fat (including saturated fat) may not be to blame for our expanding waistlines.

READ MORE HERE
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jun-02-12, 17:01

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 500/408/300 Male 73 inches
BF:toodamnmuch
Progress: 46%

I really hope this is successful!! The more voices the better against the "low fat" crowd!!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jun-03-12, 03:13

Plan: AK
Stats: 155/147/145 Male 5'7 3/4"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Thank you for posting
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-03-12, 03:25

Plan: Primal-ish
Stats: 172/158/132 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 35%

Ooh, thanks for posting this here! I donated when Robb Wolf posted about it on his blog, but I foolishly didn't think about sharing it here. I really hope they get enough backers, I think it's such a great idea!!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jun-03-12, 09:46

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

I just donated, and I made some requests of the filmmaker about the focus of the film and use of the existing video footage of interview of the heavy hitters of the LC community. I figured my donation earned me that privilege.

Last edited by aj_cohn : Sun, Jun-03-12 at 12:36.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jun-03-12, 15:39

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

This is great! I really hope she raises enough funds to get this going! Thanks for sharing!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jun-03-12, 16:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 199/000/000 Female 5"3'
BF:
Progress: 100%

Yes, it is a great project and I hope they get enough to get it started.