Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-31-17, 09:57

Plan: My own plan
Stats: 220/126/132 Male 65in
BF:
Progress: 107%
Default The science of salt and electrolytes (are we consuming enough?)

The science of salt and electrolytes (are we consuming enough?)

https://medium.com/~wclittle/the-sc...gh-7299e8f398f1

Most people think that salt is unhealthy and electrolytes are only a concern for athletes. However, modern science has revealed that we were wrong (and fooled) yet again.

First, the JAMA Internal Medicine exposed last year that the sugar industry literally paid scientists in the 1960s to shift the blame from sugar to saturated fat & cholesterol as underlying causes of heart disease.

Now, an increasing body of evidence suggests that the origins of the low-salt movement are also scientifically flawed.

Most notably, the political influence of scientists such as Frederick M. Allen, Walter Kempner, Lewis K. Dahl, George Meneely, and Harold Battarbee set a course in the 20th century that resulted in low-salt dogma that made its way into the 1977 Dietary Goals and, ultimately, into the 1980 Dietary Guidelines that have influenced us ever since:

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-01-17, 09:47
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Ha! Knew it.

Thanks!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-01-17, 10:05

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

OMG. ROFL !!!!

THe low salt thinking is so established I want to scream every time I hear, "my doctor wants me on a low salt diet".... I hold in the scream, and respond," does he tell you to cut down your carbs?" in a sarcastic tone.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-01-17, 11:09

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

That's the experience I'm waiting for, when my doctor asks, "Are you consuming enough salt?" I'm not holding my breath.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Nov-01-17, 11:58

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

My parents were in "Independent Living" for a while and all the food was low salt. It seemed like every day I visited one resident or another was falling and being carted off by ambulance. My normal-weight mother fell twice, first breaking her hip, then hitting her head. We brought her to live with my sister, and only because she was having her blood pressure taken every other day by an RN, OT or PT did doctors allow us to wean her off two BP-lowering meds. Without the white coats, she had readings less than half of normal - so low that two of them went out to their cars to bring in another BP monitor, assuming the first one was faulty. No, that's what no salt and salt-excreting meds do to a person! Needless to say, we got her off the meds and salted her food normally and she never fell or fainted again. She wasn't as low carb as me, but my sister's home is real foods South-Beachy.

Last edited by deirdra : Wed, Nov-01-17 at 12:03.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Nov-03-17, 15:37

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

At this point I am ready to lick light sockets, our “experts” have been so wrong.