Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Apr-22-15, 06:07

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

I don't have either of Dr Davis books yet but wondered about the essential differences between wheat belly, Atkins and Protein Power. With Atkins and PP, wheat (grains) is already off the list. What is so different?
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-15, 04:16

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

With Atkins, if you "climb the ladder" you can add back wheat at the top rung, and other grains like corn and oatmeal. With Wheat Belly, any type of gluten grain, even tiny amounts in processed foods is off the list, and certainly no Atkins bars. Wheat Belly is more like Paleo Lite, emphasis on real foods, not processed, though Limited amounts of dairy, rice and legumes are allowed. Check out this list food additives that must be avoided and you will see the entire pantry must go
Hydrolyzed vegetable protein seems to be in everything. Maltrodextrin (in most powdered sweetners ) and sodium nitrate (processed meats) are some others on his very long list of Foods to Avoid.

http://www.chewfo.com/diets/wheat-b...void-food-list/

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2012/...-quick-dirty-2/

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Apr-23-15 at 04:27.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-15, 08:32

Plan: IF dairy-free keto ish
Stats: 175/175/170 Male 71
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
...and sodium nitrate (processed meats) are some others on his very long list of Foods to Avoid

b-but my bacon?
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-15, 10:13

BF:

Thanks for these sources Jey. I am 'dipping into' Wheat Belly. I am not sure I grasp the nuances of the section on PH balance. Seemingly a VLC WOE of mainly protein sources creates a slightly acidic body. Eating vegetables will move the PH balance to a more basic balance. (Wheat, of course, creates a Very acidic body.) So, he does not advocate a VLC diet of 30 gm or less carbs? Hmmmm

He also goes on to say that animal protein sources are acidic while vegetable protein sources are basic. I got the impression he was advocating a more vegetable source for protein. (He seems to be saying an acidic body is not as good as a basic body.) Did I read this wrong?
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-15, 03:42

there is bacon without Added Sodium Nitrate...naturally occurring supposedly not an issue.

Dr Davis doesn't count calories or carbs...Unless you stop losing weight and not at goal, then he suggests you do limit carbs to 15g Net per meal.
I must have missed the Ph part, but his advice leans more Paleo with lots of vegetables and not high in red meat. He puts no limit on meat, but his recipes are more fish and chicken with vegetables. With his Asian ancestry and being vegetarian in the past, he mentioned in an interview he doesn't eat much.
Wheat Belly, Dr Fung's dietary index and the Perfect Health Diet seem similar to me, Paleo diets influenced by the authors' Asian roots.

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Apr-24-15 at 03:57.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-15, 07:41

BF:

Thanks Jey. That makes sense.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Apr-29-15, 05:19

BF:

I have read Wheat Belly and am now reading the sequel. So far the only new information I have found is the sources for hidden wheat in rocery products.

As a low carber these past 9 years, I gave up grains a long time ago (with an occasional lapse). I am still trying to lose those 20 pounds I regained from my initial low carb weight loss experience. Eliminating grains is obviously not the cure. I have read the section on not losing weight in spite of low carbing and grain elimination.

So what is it that is making you-all so excited about these 2 Wheat Belly books? Since most of you are not the general public, and, like me have been low carbing for years, what is it about these books that you found was new or different that you did not already know?
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Apr-29-15, 07:57
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I think the exciting part is Dr. Davis's journey from a vegetarian, semi-low carb dude to an almost paleo dude. What he writes about wheat is also very interesting. I'd been reading him for a long time so I watched that transformation in his blogs.

Another take he has is on supplements like fish oil and D3 that I find interesting.
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Apr-30-15, 03:18

When The Wheat Belly book was published in Aug 2011, I had already been LC for a year and read Every Atkins, PP, and other LC books, and none mentioned the specific components of wheat and related grains that could stimulate appetite, cause inflammation of joints and skin rash, etc. By 2011 there were a few Paleo books develing into the problems with grains from Gliadin, Agglutinin etc but only his focussed on the grains specifically (and that was definitely the problem for me, can handle legumes) It explained WHY Atkins worked, how I could eat more healthy vegetable carbs, what other grains I had to avoid (oatmeal for sure), etc. It may seem old hat now, but Primal BP and WheatBelly were about it four years ago for general audience books suggesting the complete elimination of most grains for improved health.

Now both he and Dr Perlmutter are bringing the concept of 'feeding the microbiome and gut flora' to the general population. (I started reading Dr Perlmutter's new Brain Maker last night)

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Apr-30-15 at 03:51.
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Apr-30-15, 04:18

BF:

Thanks Jey and Nancy. I found Wheat Belly more informative on those issues you mentioned, Jey, and Total Health did not. Or I missed it.

So, although we eliminated grains on a less-than 50 carb grams/day for years, we now have a better explanation of what they do to us. OK