Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-12, 09:39

Plan: general
Stats: 150/140/125 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Anyone have trouble losing post partum?

Well now that I have stopped lurking, I might as well ask another question! I easily lost about 10-15 pounds a few years ago with a low carb diet and was having no trouble maintaining at about 125lbs. Then I got pregnant and all plans to only add one serving of whole grains a day went out the window. I gained 50 pounds (whoops!) but enjoyed every minute of it. Bad, I know.

Now I am 4 months post partum and still have 15 pounds to lose. It is going rediculously slowly. I have been exercising and eating low carb since about 2 weeks after the baby was born. The weight is just not coming off like last time.

Anyone else have this experience and/or have any advice?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-12, 10:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 168/128/130 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 105%

When I was under 120 lowcarb didn,t work very well for me. I,d ever thought of it that way but I had given birth a few months before as well. I was also breast feeding at the time. As you get closer to goal alot of us have to watch cals as well.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-12, 11:12

Plan: general LC
Stats: 191/140/133 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 88%

Welcome ! If you are breastfeeding, you may have some trouble losing those last 10 or 15. Some women's bodies are so sensitive to prolactin levels that their bodies will not let go of that last bit of fat until baby weans, it's a protective measure to make sure you maintain enough fat stores for lactation. Some women can't lose anything at all while breastfeeding.

It may also just be a normal stall as your body re-adjusts itself to it's new weight. I am a little confused... in the last 3.5 months have you lost 35 pounds or 10? Either way, weight loss will slow down a great deal when you start getting this close to your goal weight. My advice to you would just be to have some patience... take your measurements and give it a few weeks to see if anything changes, and maintain diligence in your LC WOE. If it's been working for the last few months and is suddenly "going rediculously slowly," I think that is par for the course. If you don't lose any inches or if weight loss doesn't pick up again in a few weeks I would then look at diet and consider making some changes there.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-12, 12:49

Plan: general
Stats: 150/140/125 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress:

I'm not breastfeeding, and haven't for months. I guess you could technically say that I have lost a great deal of weight in 3.5 months, but 7 lbs of it was baby, and many pounds were amniotic fluid, extra water retention, and other lovely pregnancy stuff that I carried around for the baby. I got down to 150 lbs fairly quickly, but then stalled out there for about 8 weeks. I'm finally starting to lose again, it's just quite slow compared to the last time that I did this diet.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-08-12, 09:54

Plan: DirtyCarnivore/vlc Atkins
Stats: 181.2/125.0/123 Female 65
BF:34.6%/19.7%/?
Progress: 97%

I think it's generally harder as we get older. I lost post partum on low carb while breastfeeding (maintenance phase), but I think a lot of that was because I was breastfeeding. Since you're not breastfeeding anymore, then you're probably back to the way anyone else loses. It tends to come off quickly at first, but then the body wants to hang on and slows things down. From what I've read, sometimes the body needs some time to adjust before it'll continue losing. You might do a search on "set point" and "stall." A stall is usually considered 6-8 weeks or more of no weight change and no measurement change.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-17-12, 07:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 203/186/148 Female 164 cm
BF:
Progress: 31%

I was breastfeeding and could not lose. Add to that lectures about needing to make sure I eat enough for baby... and well, it has stuck.

I weaned about two months ago, and decided last week enough was enough. I hope to get down to close to goal, and then try again for number two, but this time, I am going to keep my stress level at bay. No foolishness. lol

Good luck to you. It's tough.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Sep-21-12, 06:19

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 150/155/125 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -20%

similar boat here. I just decided to come back to this board bc I'm so frustrated. I'm 6mo PP and still have at least 10 to lose. I am BFing and am not sleeping well. I haven't been great about my diet. I have weeks when I'm really good and don't lose and weeks when I'm so tired and discouraged that I just eat whatever. I am going to start journaling here again to see if that helps.