Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-20-06, 06:41
Registered Member

Plan: SPI
Stats: 154/165/132 Female 168
BF:33%
Progress: -50%
Smile im new to all this and a little scared!

hi everyone,
well i should introduce myself. my name is stacey. im 23 years of age and from melbourne Australia. I am a student (almost through my 2nd semester of my clinical psych doctorate) and suffer from PCOS.
I dont want to bore anyone with my 'life story' but it i better tell you a bit aobut myself.
I was diagnosed with pcos when i was 20 because i had not had my period since i was 16. It was done due to elevated androgen levels (not very severe tho) and about 10 pounds overweight at the time and slight but not much facial hair on my upper lip and chin. Prior to this, i suffered anorexia for aobut 18months then fell into a self destructive pattern of bulimia, over-exercising and hard core dieting. I have tried most things, low-carb, high carb, and even whitled down to 98 pounds which is tiny for my 5;7 broad frame. Anyway, i thought id get into weight training and try to do something healthy for my body and mind and got pretty hard into it. I had made the decision to compete in a figure comp and that was a few months ago...i would be about 10week out right now. However, the 2.5 hours of training everyday, hard weight training, no carbs, too much caffeine, diet pills and no-doze that my trainer put me on just made me crash and burn but the time my exams came aorund and i couldnt sleep, think or remember anything. I was a compete mess. So about a month ago, i just colapsed into a heap and couldnt stop crying, i was totally exhausted, burnt out from all of the years of over-exercising, dieting and throwing up my food, and over-eating. I have been on holidays for the past few weeks and all i have done is slept. Im sleeping like 14 hours everyday and i feel like im in a coma.
i had picked up the schwarzbein book up a few years earlier, but wasnt interested because it wasnt a quick fix. Now i realise how much i have stuffed up my body, im so scared im going to die. Last week i went out a bought the SP transition and her latest the program and knew that its time i make a life long change to be healthy and not be concerned with my dress size.
So, i have booked into for blood tests tomorrow then off to see an endocrinologist in 2 weeks. I know that i am making the right decision, i just know that i need to learn patience.
From what ive read, im insulin resistant - ie: bc of pcos and the fact that my blood sugar level doesnt fluctuate after eating, but im unsure about the adrenals. Im ok now, and pretty much went cold turkey off the caffeine once i decided to not compete a few weeks ago (probably why i slept so much hehe) and just take in 2 green teas day. Im now off sweetner and enjoying eating complex carbs and not just carrot sticks and celery.
The only other piece of info is that i just want to sleep all the time. if i come home early from the hosptial after training (psych) i sleep for 2 hours straight...should i be doing this? is this normal? ugh...
and also, should i be exercising..i literally havent had the energy to get to the gym since i decided not to compete but now that i gained a few pounds i have the urge to pound it out every day...how much is too much..? can i walk 3 days a week or does this interfere with the healing time...so many questions...i hope this post is not to overwhelming.
anyway,
nice to meet you all.

stacey
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-20-06, 11:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260.5/246/199 Male 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

Hi Stacey,

Welcome and congratulations on coming here.

This place has done a lot for me.

I'd forget about exercising for a little while, (until you have the energy.)

For breakfast I had
3 fried eggs, 6 pieces of bacon
for lunch I had
3 fried eggs, a piece of ham
+ 64 ounces of water
and some diet soda (with no caffeine)
for dinner, I'll probably have chicken.

You can do it!

You'll find this kind of eating will give you LOTS of energy!

I wish I ate like this while I was in college!

Good luck!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-20-06, 16:36
Registered Member

Default is this right?

thanks for the reply. i hope it helps me too. i havent exercised in a month but want to get back into body weight training exercises (just using a fitball) 3 times a week and walking for 30mins 3 times a week and a bit of yoga once or twice a week.
going on the fact that im pretty sure im insulin resistant, and please correct me if im wrong, i have to eat 15g of carbs each meal, 3 oz of protein each meal, some vegies and some fat. my snacks will be 2oz protein, 15g carbs, vegies and fats. im off gluten (because now i think i have a yeast problem..down there...hmmm...and off as many man made products as possible..
so for today i have prepared..
breakfast:
2 eggs (boiled),
1 1/4 cup of strawberries
1/4 cup of ricotta cheese (lower fat) on celery sticks

snack:
chick pea dip, made out of 1/3 cup of chick peas, 1/2 cup of ricotta (lower fat) a dash of olive oil and carrot and celery sticks

lunch:
prawn green salad with 1/3 cup brown rice, and olive oil

snack:
1 small potato
40g of mozorella cheese (lower fat)
dash of olive oil or butter
1 cup of grated carrot, tomato, cucumber

dinner:
chicken grilled
1 cup of mashed roast pumpkin
green vegies
flaxseed oil

and heaps of water and 1 green tea and a few herbal teas.

does this sound right?
stace
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-20-06, 17:28
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 267/259/220 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 17%
Default You're in the Right Place!

Welcome, Stacey!

Thanks for sharing the level of detail you did. It sounds like not only are you insulin resistant, but your description makes you sound like the "poster child" for burned-out adrenals!

Your meal planning sounds very good. And since you already have all of the other Schwarzbein books, you might enjoy the cookbook as well. Lots of good (and tasty) recipes.

The reason I mentioned burned-out adrenals is because of the abuse your body has undergone - driving and hammering it to try to achieve your goals - and the breakdown and your current need for sleep. You have placed an incredible amount of stress on your body, and it's telling you it must rest and recharge.

So, sleep all you can. I'm guessing that you'll find that after a few weeks (or even months), your need to sleep will decrease. In the meantime, you might consider cutting off exercise altogether. (It does sound suspiciously like you have become addicted to exercise....)

Eat well. Rest. Read all the Schwarzbein books, cover to cover. And remember that TSP is much more than just a Way of Eating (WOE) program - it's a WOL (Way of Life)!

Again, welcome. If there's any way we can help, let us know. And as far as being a bit worried about things..? "No worries, mate."

(Sorry. Couldn't resist. )

-Don
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-21-06, 01:32
Registered Member

[QUOTE=BoomerGuy]Welcome, Stacey!

Thanks for sharing the level of detail you did. It sounds like not only are you insulin resistant, but your description makes you sound like the "poster child" for burned-out adrenals!

Your meal planning sounds very good. And since you already have all of the other Schwarzbein books, you might enjoy the cookbook as well. Lots of good (and tasty) recipes.

The reason I mentioned burned-out adrenals is because of the abuse your body has undergone - driving and hammering it to try to achieve your goals - and the breakdown and your current need for sleep. You have placed an incredible amount of stress on your body, and it's telling you it must rest and recharge.

So, sleep all you can. I'm guessing that you'll find that after a few weeks (or even months), your need to sleep will decrease. In the meantime, you might consider cutting off exercise altogether. (It does sound suspiciously like you have become addicted to exercise....)

Eat well. Rest. Read all the Schwarzbein books, cover to cover. And remember that TSP is much more than just a Way of Eating (WOE) program - it's a WOL (Way of Life)!

Again, welcome. If there's any way we can help, let us know. And as far as being a bit worried about things..? "No worries, mate."

(Sorry. Couldn't resist. )

thanks for the great reply Don, love the sense of humour...you must be aussie...hehe..
yeah, all i want to do is sleep all the time. I had class from 11-4 today and i was sooo tired i could barely keep my eyes open...and the headaches...oh god...the pain...im not on coffee anymore, just 1-2 green teas a day, but im soo tempted to go back to my old ways just to feel better.
i went to my gp this morning and said i wanted my adrenal glands tested and he goes huh...? how do i do that...and i was like god...you serious...you have studied for 8 years or so, i shouldnt have to tell you mate!
haha
so i asked for cortisol, fasting insulin, FSH, LH, Blood fats etc, free androgens and um...estrogen. I also asked for an iron level check and vitamin and blood cell stuff...i wont get most of the tests back till next week tho. waiting in anticipation...im so nervous....i hope im not insulin resistant or have burnt out adrenals but unfortunately i think i do...i do just want to cry about it all and am so tempted to just not worry about my body and just do what i want to do.
anyway...so, with my endocrinologist tell me if i have burnt out adrenals....? the problem is is that i only had the one test done, dont you normally need more than one done throughout the day...
and from the books, it said if you have burnt out adrenals, then they are going to read a low reading...is that correct?
its all so confusing...giving up gluten is a big ask i tell you. im so addicted to oatmeal!!! YUM
So, i have another food idea i can share with everyone that i used to make with oatmeal. I do it with a lactose free and gluten free protein powder.

1 scoop of protein powder (or enough to make up a 14g serve as a snack)
1/3 cup millet (i think this is the gluten free grain i bought 4 bfast)
1/2-1tbspn of almond paste
i usually dissolve the powder into a moderately think paste, add the millet and then the paste and roll into little truffle balls. i used to roll them in dessecated coconut, but i left this out while on TSP. Then put in the fridge to set for a fwe hours. tastes like chocolate rice bubbles with a dash of almond. yum...i hope this snack is schwarzbein approved. hehe
stace
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-26-06, 22:24
Registered Member

Unhappy

well, i have my results back from pathology and OH MY GOD...i have no idea what they mean! Im meeting with my endocrinologist next week to discuss it...but i thought id ask to see if anyone has any ideas...
well, my eGRF was 88...this is the best test for kidney damage...a level between 80-90 means kidney damage (protein in the urine) and is stage 1 of kidney damage....YIKES...I nearly cried when I heard this...oh my god what have i done..
My Blood Glucose level was normal...5.0 where the range was 3.6-7.7. So, does this mean im not insulin resistant...?
My cortisol levels were extremely high at 1140 when the range was 138-690!!!
My white cell count and haemoglobin values were low.
Now heres the tricky stuff...
my FSH and LH were really now FSH = 0.19 and LH <0.5!!!!
Oestradiol was 77 and FAI (free androgen index) was 0.8 which was indicated as low...noe my SHBG levels were super high at 239 where normal levels were between 30-90!!!!
Oh my god what have i done and what does this mean!!!
stace