Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-21-10, 10:46
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default All lipid hypothesis are junk

From Dr. Harris's blog. Gotta agree with him.

http://www.paleonu.com/panu-weblog/...sis-part-i.html

Quote:
Taking all the evidence in its totality, I’ve see no compelling use for statins for anyone if they have truly optimized their diet, and very little even if they haven’t. The benefits of statins are unrelated to their effects on “cholesterol” or lipoprotein levels, are small and are accidental.

The risk/benefit ratio and effect size of dietary modifications are likely to be superior to any of the current statin drugs.

I do believe there are dietary ways that we can minimize the risk of atherosclerosis and other inflammatory processes, minimize the risk of acute plaque rupture and thrombosis if we do have atherosclerosis, and minimize the risk of a fatal arrhythmia if these upstream steps fail

I don’t believe once you have taken these steps, that pharmacology targeted to “cholesterol” or lipoproteins has anything to add.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-26-10, 13:41

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I believe that the only reason that statins are still on the pharmaceutical market is so that the medical community don't look like a bunch of idiots.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-26-10, 14:15

Plan: my plan
Stats: 162.5/148/145 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 83%

The pharmaceutical companies are getting sued every day for putting horrible medications in our prescription bottles. Not all prescriptions are horrible, but we're the idiots if we don't do our own research instead of trusting the studies done by the company trying to sell their product.

I love the screw statins campaign on here. Way to put that info. out there and give people the information they need to make a good decision.