Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-04-02, 08:00

Plan: protein power
Stats: 168.8/157.9/130 Male 5 foot 2 inches
BF:33.1/27/20
Progress: 28%
Question Niacin

Has anyone had any experience using NIACIN to treat high cholesterol ?

My cholesterol has gone up since being on LC . I cannot explain it , I am loosing weight and enjoying it . Look at my previous post to see my numbers .

I dont know what to do , do I eat less animal products such as meat ,cheese, eggs ,cream or do I continue eating as I have done .

Some people believe that the cholesterol story is a myth and that people get heart attacks with low cholesterol .

I am well but there is a history of vascular disease in my family .

So , cholesterol does'nt automatically go down with this WOE !! It may do but no guarantees .

I have posted previously but have had no helpful replies

I would appreciate some advice

Rob
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-04-02, 09:34

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi Rob!

You may find this link helpful: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...threadid=34068.
I'd also suggest another look at Protein Power if you have the book. The Eades' do a very good job of explaining cholesterol and it's funtions in our bodies along with explaining why changes do or don't occur and what measurements we should be concerned about.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Aug-04-02, 10:16
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

hi Rob ..

For reference, I'll copy your bloodwork from the other post:
  • 26/10/01 Fasting
    tot chol 5.75
    LDL 3.81
    HDL 1.65
    Tot/HDL = 3.48 (<5)
    ----------------------

24/07/02 non fasting
    tot chol 6.5
    HDL 1.34
    LDL 4.34
    Tot/HDL = 4.85
    Trig = 1.8
    --------------------

30/07/02 fasting
    tot chol 6.42
    LDL 4.54
    HDL 1.38
    tot/HDL 4.65
    trig 1.1
First off, totally disregard the non-fasting results, as they've been skewed by any food or beverage consumed. Just another quick question .. do you smoke or use nicotine patch or gum?? as those things will cause the levels to appear higher as well.

While your LDL (over 4.1) and consequently the total chol (over 6.2) are high, your HDL is good, over 1.03. Also triglycerides are excellent, below 2.3

The total to HDL ratio is high (over 4.6) because of the elevated LDL. You'll find some explanations for this in the link that Lisa N gave in her post.

You have several options . One is .. do nothing, since triglycerides are now considered a greater indicator of heart risk than total cholesterol, and yours are fine. Also, your HDL is great, which can be protective against heart disease.

Or You can try to manipulate your diet and add some supplements that MAY help to lower LDL. Or, try to raise HDL ... if your LDL remains constant, but your HDL goes up, then the total to HDL ratio would go down, which is desirable.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In Protein Power Lifeplan (pub. 2000) the Eades devote chapter 4 to "Cholesterol: the Good, the Bad and the Ugly", including a section on using No-Flush niacin (500mg, 3 times a day). You must use specifically No-Flush type.

You might consider using psyllium husk powder (a fiber supplement) which might reduce the LDL. Don't take psyllium or any other fiber at the same time as other medications or supplements as it can prevent their absorption.

To rasie the HDL ("good" cholest), use more olive oil, avocados, raw nuts and unprocessed nut oils. Flax oil or fish oil may also be helpful.

Doreen
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Aug-04-02, 10:34

Smile Doreen and Lisa N

Thanks for your replies .

firstly, yes my triglycerides have always been very low . As you can appreciate , I got quite a fright when I saw that my tot chol has gone up since LCing . Yes my tot/HDl ratio is still < 5 which saves the day , but the raised LDL worries me . Doesnt it just mean that I am eating too much saturated fats? I have obviously thought of cutting my saturated fats . I have been eating vast amounts of eggs , regular bacon occasional cream and cheese . I dont eat enough fish !!!

FYI I do use flax oil daily 1 tbl , olive oil in salad dressing , 1 oz nuts eg : macadamia ,walnuts, pecan , avocado . I also take psyllium husk capsules daily .

I was thinking of using Niacin and building up the dose to 1g daily . I read that no flush Niacin is more liable to cause liver problems , so I bought ordinary Niacin . Havent taken any yet though .

Thanks for taking the time and showing interest

Rob

PS:I will have another look at PP
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Aug-04-02, 10:50
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Lightbulb

From the Protein Power website FAQ's:
Quote:
I’ve been on the plan for awhile and feel better than I ever have. I’ve lost weight, my blood pressure is down and my sugar levels are now normal. My most recent lab tests show that my cholesterol and LDL went up. What am I doing wrong?

First of all, be aware that you are not doing anything wrong. The most consistent finding after people go on our program is that triglycerides drop and HDL, the "good" cholesterol increases. This indicates that your insulin levels have dropped and you have stopped converting excess amounts of sugar into fats as trigylcerides. Cholesterol is a number that is composed of both good and bad fractions, therefore we don’t tend to track it nearly as close as more specific levels of HDL, triglycerides and LDL. LDL cholesterol is made up of different particles that vary from person to person. Depending on the type of particles that predominate, one is said to have either pattern A or pattern B. With pattern A, the LDL is light, fluffy, and relatively large. This pattern is actually thought to be beneficial. With pattern B, the molecule is heavy, dense, and relatively small. This pattern is thought to be detrimental. Pattern B is a partial consequence of excessively elevated triglycerides. When triglycerides go down after the Protein Power Plan has been adopted, a phenomenon called the "beta shift" occurs where LDL is transformed into pattern A. So, paradoxically, even though the level of LDL appears to increase, the type of LDL that is being formed is usually much healthier. The difficult part is that the lab testing to determine your levels of LDL "A" and LDL "B" can only be done in a research laboratory with electrophoresis methods. While we cannot be 100% certain that this is what happened in your case, the research strongly supports this view.

The most important thing is to look at the overall picture. With the Protein Power approach we look at the triglyceride/HDL ratio as one of the best measurements of risk for heart disease. An upper limit of 5 is considered desirable, with anything over that indicating an increased risk. Some measures to help bring down your cholesterol and LDL levels are: stay on the plan (some people panic and feel that the plan is causing the opposite effect), take a "no-flush" niacin 500 mg 2-3 capsules per day, increase your fiber intake with perhaps psyllium seed powder-1-2 TBS mixed in water per day, and avoid excessive saturated fats and trans fats (fried foods and margarine.)

http://eatprotein.com/answers11.html#11e

Good idea to review the PP book

Doreen
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-05-02, 10:01

Plan: Protein Power LP Dilletan
Stats: 164/145/138 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 73%

Conversion of cholesterol numbers:

1 mmol/l = 38.6 mg/dl or 1 mg/dl= 0.026 mmol/l

26/10/01 Fasting
tot chol 5.75 = 222 mg/dL
LDL 3.81 = 147 mg/dL
HDL 1.65 = 64 mg/dL
Tot/HDL = 3.48 (<5)
----------------------

24/07/02 non fasting
tot chol 6.5 = 251 mg/dL
HDL 1.34 = 52 mg/dL
LDL 4.34 = 168 mg/dL
Tot/HDL = 4.85
Trig = 1.8 = 69
--------------------

30/07/02 fasting
tot chol 6.42 = 248 mg/dL
LDL 4.54 = 175 mg/dL
HDL 1.38 = 53 mg/dL
tot/HDL 4.65
trig 1.1

Okay, now I know what I'm looking at. My boyfriend's cholesterol level was 271 mg/dL (7.05 mmol/L) with HDL 35 (0.91) and LDL 171 (4.45). He has been taking no-flush niacin 500 mg at 3 times per day for 3 weeks. He is having another lipid test done this morning. I'll let you know how it turns out.

There are literally hundreds of studies on the efficacy of Niacin reducing total cholesterol and raising HDL. It has been used for over 50 years. All Niacin at high doses above 1000 mg per day has the potential to damage liver (I haven't heard anything about kidneys) because it stresses the liver. No-flush Niacin is better than regular Niacin because you won't be able to take enough to lower your cholesterol of regular Niacin due to the discomfort. The best Niacin is Niaspan a sustained-release niacin (unlike previous sustained-release Niacins) that has been shown in several studies to be safe for 1500 mg a day for 16 weeks and during that time did not cause liver damage because the dose doesn't hit all at once. Niaspan may be prescription only. You should take Folic Acid with the Niacin to prevent a rise in homocysteine levels.

After stating all of that, I'd like to say that your fasting cholesterol is still under 250 which Dr. Eades considers a range not to worry about. I wouldn't try drugs at this point. If you are worried, I would consider taking a homocysteine and C-reactive protein test. These are better determinations of cardiac risk.

In a recent study on the Atkins diet, all 42 patients improved their cholesterol except one. (There's always one.) The human body is very intricate and everyone has different responses to different foods. You could try eating more fish, chicken, and seafood (scallops, clams, lobster and crab too--good sources of omega-3) and less red meat and see if this helps. Dr. Eades says some people have an allergic reaction to red meat.

Also, 2/3 of the population have no reaction whatsoever to the cholesterol in eggs. Of the one-third that do, the reaction is usually small. But there is a very small percentage of people who have a hereditary reaction to the cholesterol in eggs. (Don't get drastic, just cut them out one week before your next test and see if that helps.)

I think Niacin is a good idea. You may find you don't need to take it for very long. Also, some peoples' cholesterol levels adjust after they move on to OWL (stage 2 of Atkins).

Make sure to look at the research forum here for more information. I hope this helps.

Last edited by Voyajer : Mon, Aug-05-02 at 12:48.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Aug-05-02, 15:25

Thumbs up

Voyager ,

thanks for your really helpful posting .

I have decided to use niacin, at the moment I only have the regular stuff , I have read that you start at 100mg for 4 days and then increase it at 100mg /4 day intervals . I did get a flush this morning ,it wasnt totally an unpleasant feeling .

I will look around for the slow release stuff or the no flush niacin . As I am in the UK I dont know whether it is available without a prescription .

I will also look into having a CRP test . Should I ask the lab for a ?cardiac CRP and a ?fasting homocysteine .

Rob
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Aug-05-02, 17:22

BF:

The C-reactive protein test is a simple blood test. You can read about it here on the CNN site:

http://www.cnn.com/2000/HEALTH/03/22/heart.test/

The homocysteine test appears also to be a simple blood test.

http://www.pslgroup.com/dg/d939a.htm

I'm not sure if fasting is necessary for these tests. Fasting is necessary on cholesterol tests because cholesterol naturally goes up after a meal. My boyfriend was fasting today for his homocysteine test but he was also taking the lipid panel, so he needed to fast.

Don't forget to take Folic Acid (Folate) with your Niacin.

Last edited by Voyajer : Mon, Aug-05-02 at 17:28.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Aug-05-02, 18:31

Plan: MEAT AND LOTS OF GREEN VE
Stats: 292.7/280/180 Female 68 INCHES
BF:
Progress: 11%

ROB,
My Dr had me take 500mg of NIACIN along with METAMUCIL...sounds hokey...but it worked...he said the combo of the two pull the fat from the blood like a magnet!

GAP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lowcarblogo.jpg (5.7 KB, 135 views)
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Aug-05-02, 19:35

BF:

Thanks GAP on the reassurance that Niacin works even at lower dosages. Rob is already taking fiber like Metamucil in the form of Psyllium Husks. So with his recent addition of Niacin, his cholesterol should start falling.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Aug-06-02, 12:25

Voyager

my question was , " is there a cardiac CRP" ? or is CRP a general marker for all inflammation ?

Also , I did read that homocysteine test should be of fasting levels .

I take a multivitamin that has 400mcg / tab is that enough for niacin

Thanks

Rob
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Aug-06-02, 12:29

Gap

thanks for posting . I am beginning the niacin ( day 2) ,got a flush yesterday and a bit today . It is not that unpleasant , you can feel it working its way around your system .

I take psyllium husks in capsules but I will get the powder stuff
(yuck)

Hope to see the numbers go down

Rob
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Aug-06-02, 22:38

BF:

Rob,

There is no specific test for CRP as it relates to the heart. The CRP blood test is for total body CRP. In a normal healthy individual the CRP would barely be readable. Only with trauma or disease is it readable so if it is high without trauma or disease, then the person is at greater risk for heart disease.

Check out this article for more information:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...&threadid=53891

According to the studies I've read, you need to take 1000 mg/day of Niacin. 400 mcg is .4 mg.

1000 mcg = 1 mg. That's why you need No-Flush Niacin.

GAP says you only need one-half the recommended dose to see improvement: 500 mg.

The Psyllium Husk capsules should be fine. They are the same as the liquid.

I hope this is helpful.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Aug-07-02, 14:10

Thumbs up

Thanks voyager,

you're a star .

I bought no flush niacin today 500mg tabs and folate , 400mcg tabs .

I hope to see a drop in the numbers next month and I will ask for a CRP as well as a homocysteine if thats possible .

Rob
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Aug-07-02, 20:31
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 267/224/170
BF:
Progress: 44%

My recent blood work turned out a lot like Rob's:

Pre Atkins Start Blood Test on May 25, 2002
HBA1C 7.2
Total Cholesterol: 269
HDL: 43
LDL: 93
Triglycerides: 676
BP: 140/92

Here are the meds I was taking at the time of the May 25, 2002 blood panel:
Metformin: 500mg breakfast/500mg dinner
Glyburide: 5mg breakfast/5mg dinner
Prinivil: 10mg bedtime
Pamelor: 80mg bedtime

As a result of the triglycerides, 1200 MG of Lopid (600mg breakfast/600mg dinner), was added to the above drugs. This was a significant change from the blood work I had done 3 months prior in triglycerides. I had been on Weight Watchers during that 3 month period and lost about 12 pounds.

Beginning June 1, the doctor added
Lopid: 600mg breakfast/600mg dinner to help lower the triglycerides.

On July 28, 2002, I had a followup blood panel to check my lipids, liver function and diabetes control. This is 2 months on Atkins plus the Lopid.

Here the results:
Total Cholesterol: 238
HDL: 44
LDL: 196
Triglycerides: 131
HBA1c: 5.8
BP: Home, Drugstore, anywhere but the doc 120/73
BP: Doctor 140/92

With these results, the doctor changed my meds to:
Metformin (my choice 1x 500mg or Breakfast/Dinner 500mg ea - I'm continuing on takin the metformin at breakfast and dinner since I've noticed a trend in my bs going up
Lopid: 600mg breakfast

She's thinking that continuing the Lopid will bring the LDL down and I will have another blood panel at the end of August.

I'm interested in trying the Niacin, but I've read that Niacin can make your bs rise. Anybody have a comment on how Niacin affects bs? I will take 500mg Non flush Niacin but am unsure of how much extra folic acid to take along with the Niacin.

JBee