Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-19-02, 17:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/166.0/140 Female 5'9"/174cm
BF:30.4/30.4/25?
Progress: 32%
Default Triglycerides too low?

I just got the results of my first-ever blood profile back:

Total Cholesterol: 183
Good Cholesterol: 83
Bad: 96
Sugar: 100
Triglycerides: 22 - doctors says that's too low - add carbs. She says I need 30 - 199, but I cannot find info on too low readings, only too high - and will not just take an anti-low carbing doc's word for this without checking with the experts here, first.

Can anyone guide me towards info on too low triglycerides?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-19-02, 19:26

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Actually if you wanted to increase triglycerides you could have a little more alcohol - generally speaking alcohol and sweets (read 'sugar') raise triglycerides.

I've done some searching and have not been able to find much in the way of information on the negative effects of having too low a triglyceride level - however there must be some. Having too low a total cholesterol level puts you at risk for certain disease and illnesses, just as having too high of one does. Triglycerides, like LDL and HDL serve a purpose in the body - they are needed.

Sorry I couldnt be of more help. I'm sure that Doreen will be along with some words of wisdom

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-19-02, 21:37
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Lightbulb

Here I am

Very low triglycerides (below 10 mg/dL) is associated with overactive thyroid or possibly liver disease. Given your excellent results of other blood fats, I'd say liver disease is out -- an HDL of 83 is enviable Some sources suggest an intestinal malabsorption or malnutrition.

Did you fast (nothing to eat or drink but water) for 12 hours prior to the test? Fasting for a longer time may skew results.

Do you use fish oils as supplement or consume a lot of fatty fish? Excessive amounts, in particular the supplement form, may be a culprit. Did you have fatty fish at the last meal before fasting, or take a fish oil supplement?

Did you workout or do heavy exercise before the test? Exercise will chew up your triglycerides for fuel, and could cause a false low.

If it's no to all of the above, you might want to have your thyroid checked

And, looking at your journal, which you haven't posted in a while .. your menus appear to be way low in carbs .. just a salad here and there, or a few fajita fixin's. So, you certainly could go up with the carbs ... especially from vegetables and maybe a little low-glycemic fruit.

hth,

Doreen
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jul-20-02, 05:18

Thanks for the responses, Doreen and Natrushka.

I did fast for about 12 hours before the blood test - even skipped my coffee, so I should be good to go there. No exercise, either.

I don't eat a lot of fish, but I do take Dr. Atkins' Essential Oils - 2 per day in the morningg (but not the morning of the blood test). Maybe I should cut back to just one or maybe even quit taking them alltogether?

I got bored with writing into the Journal, but I have added more veggies to my menues than I was eating at first.

One more question to the HDL and LDL (keep getting mixed up in which is the good one) but anyway, my good was 83 and the bad 96, but for total cholesterol, they had given me 183. 83+96=179. Where would the other 4 be? Or is this not just added up like this? (Maybe I just wrote a number down wrong)

Last edited by Thelma : Sun, Jul-21-02 at 05:54.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Dec-03-02, 22:37

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

the formula for checkig your numbers:

LDL = total cholesterol - HDL - triglycerides/5

so for you it's

96 = 183 - 83 - 4 (22 / 5 = 4.4, we'll use 4)

It works! 183 - 83 = 100...100 - 4 = 96

Cindy

(this is from PPLP book)
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Dec-04-02, 19:54

Thanks - I always wondered about this little math problem.

And for all the other people out there that might have the same trouble I had with figuring out which DL is good and which one is bad - ok, it's corny, but I now know the difference:

LDL - as in L for Lousy - bad cholesterol

and

HDL - as in H for Holy - obviously the good.

Whatever works, right????
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Dec-13-02, 02:27

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

LOL Thelma!

I used low and high....but I like your's better!

Cindy
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Sep-24-06, 11:14

Plan: southbeach
Stats: 120/120/110 Female 4'11''
BF:
Progress:

I'm so thankful I found this site! I am a Type 2 Diabetic treating with diet and exercise. I took meds for three years then went off with Dr. approval after the south beach diet. My cholesterol nos. in July were TC 174, HDL 62, LDL 107, Tri 25. Even though I do not want to take meds for anything, my dr. put me on Crestor Aug. 1. He said that diabetics need to keep LDL below 70. My recent cholesterol nos. were TC 138, HDL 65, LDL including VLDL too low to calculate, Tri <15. My question concerns the effects of low numbers such as those for TC and Tri. Isn't there a danger in low numbers? Surely our bodies need cholesterol and triglycerides for something? I want to discuss this with my doctor at my next appointment and may just manipulate the meds myself until I am less anxious about this. Having PMS symptoms along with flu-like symptoms as well. Nothing to keep me home from work but noticeable. Thank you so much for your help.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Sep-24-06, 11:49
Registered Member

Plan: CRON / Zone
Stats: 118/110/110 Male 5ft 7"
BF:very low
Progress: 100%

I wouldn't worry, you TG will vary in a very short space of time. But I'd love to have HDL as high as that ! lol Maybe after I take a months worsth of resveratrol soon

Quote:
Having too low a total cholesterol level puts you at risk for certain disease and illnesses

thats why japan and the prefecture okinawa had the longest lived people and least disease risk on the planet, with an average total cholesterol of 150mg/dl

Total Mortality in Middle-Aged Men Is Increased at Low Total and LDL Cholesterol Concentrations in Smokers but Not in Nonsmokers
http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/full/96/7/2128

Low Serum Cholesterol and Mortality
http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/con...pe2=tf_ipsecsha
"there was no significant increase in all-cause mortality risk among cohort men with stable low TC levels. Nonillness mortality (deaths caused by trauma and suicide) was not related to either TC change or the average of TC levels in exams 1 and 3."
Low Serum Cholesterol Hazardous to Health?
http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/full/92/9/2365
ncreased mortality at low total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol levels or in the lowest body mass index quintile was seen only in smokers

Last edited by Whoa182 : Sun, Sep-24-06 at 12:14.