Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#1951   ^
Old Thu, Jan-13-11, 08:05

Plan: none
Stats: 200/186/160 Female 5'7'
BF:
Progress: 35%

Classykare, you're just north of me! If you ever get to the Red Barn Flea Market in Bradenton, stop in and see me! I have The Card Shop on the front row plaza.

I'm finally taking a day off! I finally told Rich to choose between Tu and Th cause we're wearing out. Even though we're closed Mondays, we spend the day working, catching up, making orders, getting supplies. He doesn't see the point in taking a day off, but hopefully he'll come around and see the benefits!

Today, I am coloring my hair, decluttering, laundry, groceries-I'm so far behind! Have a great day!!
Sponsored Links
  #1952   ^
Old Fri, Jan-14-11, 06:59

BF:

I'm so sick of the cold weather here in FL! Now I realize some of you are dealing with cold and snow-it could be worse-but this is FL-it's supposed to be warm! I spent hours yesterday on the heating pad! Anybody know why my left hip would hurt when I lay down? It hurts whether I lay on it or lay on my right side.

Have a great day!!
  #1953   ^
Old Fri, Jan-14-11, 08:37

Plan: atkins
Stats: 383.8/345.4/180 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 19%

Pam,sorry about your hip,did you bang it or anything?? Yes I know it's been cold for Florida's standards,today it is 13 degrees here and we had 23 inches of snow on Wed. on top of the 8 inches we had on the ground and it's so cold nothing is melting and no place to put the snow! Doing better on my eating,no more junk food coming in here....Vicki did you get the storm we got?? Have a good day....love Glo
  #1954   ^
Old Fri, Jan-14-11, 21:46

BF:

My hip is just another part of my body that's been falling apart. It's been hurting over the past year.

I'm glad we don't have snow!!! Stay warm!!
  #1955   ^
Old Sat, Jan-15-11, 06:39

Plan: counting carbs
Stats: 200/188/135 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 18%

Oh WOW!!! We have to meet!! We will be arriving, Lord willing, Mar. 1st on Anna Maria Island, just west of Bradenton. Pam & I plan to meet. They work at THE RED BARN FLEA MARKET in Bradenton.....wouldn't it be such fun for us to meet? Just come down across the Sunshine Bridge and we can meet!! We just stay one month, so will be leaving Mar. 31st---I would hate to lose this opportunity to meet!!!
  #1956   ^
Old Sun, Jan-16-11, 06:49

BF:

Sounds like fun!! Can't wait!!!

Not doing so great with my eating-I'm not sure what it will take to get me back on track. I'm way past due for my bloodwork-that could do it! LOL! I have to get on the stick and go!

Have a great day!!
  #1957   ^
Old Sun, Jan-16-11, 07:20

BF:

I think it is great that Vicki and Pam are going to meet each other,it will just strengthen their freindship.I to am overdue for my bloodwork and know if I had it done now my A1C would be off the charts,I need time to get my bloodsugar in control!!!! Tomorow will be a 100% legal food day,enough of this eating all the junk I have been eating....Glo
  #1958   ^
Old Mon, Jan-17-11, 07:50

BF:

Last week we had our 6-mo labs....and check-ups. I asked the doctor is 130-150 carb diet was good, and he agreed. I am going to jump in here and say that I could never go all NO carbs......what they tell diabetics (Type II) is the above amount---I personally think if we go too low, our bodies fight against this....and go into "starvation" mode....thus we don't lose. Our bodies are made to have some carbs....there is some good in carbs, but too many then cause the wt. gain. It's even difficult for me to keep it within that range.....but I am giving it the good ol' try.....have any of you just gone on LOW carbs rather than NO carbs? I always eat a peeled apple at night, to help prevent heartburn (there is something in them that helps)--so that's about 20 carbs off the top of the day's amount. Worth if for me, though.
Thanks for reading....any comments are sure welcome. We are here to help each other!! xoxooxo Your Hoosier Bud
  #1959   ^
Old Mon, Jan-17-11, 10:28

BF:

The misconception about low carb diets is that they are no carb-that is not what it means. Many people don't realize it means is to limit your carbs to good carbs like green veggies and certain fruits (berries)-not starchy, sugary veggies and fruits. It's eating the basics-meat (proteins) and veggies (inclusing salads) and certain fruits. I edited to add, that this is my opinion and it works the best for me. I have never done no carb-I don't feel that is healthy, but when I do low carb I limit my carbs to about 30/day between good fruit and veggies. When I eat "right" my cravings go away and food becomes secondary to me, otherwise I'm always planning my next meal or snack.

My biggest problem is all the triggers. Anything "carby" send me on a carb frenzie. I'm not a "eat just one" kinda person. I have a friend who can make a candy bar last a week and throw away a bite or two-what?? If I have one candy bar, I have to have two-and a glass of milk for each. If I have one piece of bread, I want the half the loaf. One piece of fruit leads to another and another. I once belonged to overeaters annonymous-I would leave the meetings wanting to get to the nearest 7-ll to get a candy bar. Weight Watchers allows me way to much room to overeat or eat the wrong things. The only woe that truely works for me is LC, limited to 30 carbs a day. Now, if I could just get myself back on it!!!!! I continue to use stress as an excuse and food for comfort-problem is there isn't enough food to comfort me. I can't convince myself that getting back on LC would actually relieve the stress I have about weight and health-business and family stress is always going to be there no matter what I eat-I can't control that-but I can control the weight and certain health issues-I just have to choose to do it.

Last edited by PandaGramy : Mon, Jan-17-11 at 21:46.
  #1960   ^
Old Tue, Jan-18-11, 03:23

BF:

Thanks for the explanation......I think just 30 is so limited. I just don't think I could do it, and perhaps I just don't WANT to be that drastic. I don't like meat that well, so maybe that plays into it. I just know that my friend did lose a lot by being on the 130-150 carbs per day......I do allow myself a little chocolate per day....not a lot....I never eat a whole candy bar....have the real small ones on hand (in a drawer). I have tried NutraSystem and the food is awful---expecially with having a tendancy towards heartburn---I couldn't 'stomach' their beef stuff at night.....plus it was way expensive. WW--I agree with you on that one. I think I love my carbs so much....so limiting them should work. We do live a full social life, going out with friends, etc....having company here...so that doesn't help. We have definitely slowed down since the holidays....and I hope to keep it that way....however, we won't stop being social people---just perhaps not quite so much!!!
  #1961   ^
Old Tue, Jan-18-11, 06:37

BF:

LOL! Back in the day, I used to manage a Nutrisystem weightloss center. I was not overwight, but I did eat the food so I'd know what I was telling clients about it. I think they have a whole lot more to choose from now.

I usually substitute a cauliflower/cheese dish for potatoes and eat another veggie (brocolli, green beans, brussels sprouts, asparagus) and my meat. When I'm doing straight LC, I eat no bread, processed foods, or sweets. No peas, carrots or corn. I do eat strawberries and cantelope-if I liked other berries I'd eat them. I eat full fat dressing on my salad (I lied-I do sometimes add carrot shreds for crunch) I eat cheese on about everything unless I stall. I love doing recipes from Linda's low carb recipes. As I lose more weight I start to add carbs-and that's usually my downdall. I cannot lose weight eating over 50 carbs/day. I'm never hungry and I don't have heartburn on LC.

As I'm writing this, it sounds so easy. Why won't I do it!!
  #1962   ^
Old Wed, Jan-19-11, 08:38

BF:

Pam.ditto,ditto,ditto...I could of written this myself,that is exactly what works for me(when I am good)this is the only way I can loose weight,I wouldn't even loose an ounce on 150 carbs a day!!!!no way....when I am doing well my Doctor is thrilled and has no problem with low carbs,never no carbs,every thing has carbs including celery.I do my best betweem20-30 carbs a day,of course I like meat so it does make it easier!! I am never hungry either,have to remind myself to eat at times and my bloodsugar is great.Vicki if your way works for you great....I just know it wouldn't for me. Have a good day all....love Glo
  #1963   ^
Old Wed, Jan-19-11, 20:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 188/183/165 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:Lots
Progress: 22%

Hey All! I see some new names here. I found a good deal on internet and have it at home again now. Whoo Hoo!
I'm really not doing LC right now, but I certainly admire and encourage those of you who are.
Cold and snowy here in NE. Going to go curl up with my Snuggie.
  #1964   ^
Old Thu, Jan-20-11, 07:44

BF:

Oh My Goodness, Cats, It Is So Wonderful To See You Here......yea For The Good Deal On Internet!!! I Am Happy For You....looking Forward To Hearing More From You, Even Though No Lc In Your Life At This Time.....mostly It's Just Pam, Glo And Me--holding Down The Fort Here---the New Gals Came And Went...hope They Come Back!!! Wecome Back!!!
  #1965   ^
Old Thu, Jan-20-11, 09:34

BF:

We made another trip to the animal ER during the night! I'm getting ready to take Stasha to our regular vet this morning to see what's going on. Even though the er vet thought she looked great for her age and condition, I'm not sure she's doing well. I'm planning to ask for another xray today to see what's going on. Poor Stasha, I can't stand this. I try not to treat her like she's dying and you wouldn't know it until she has an episode like last night. I'm not ready and I don't think she is either.
Closed Thread