Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#1936   ^
Old Thu, Jan-06-11, 20:46

Plan: none
Stats: 200/186/160 Female 5'7'
BF:
Progress: 35%

In case I didn't say before-probably did -we have 4 cats and 4 dogs! Love them so much!! I'm trying to talk Rich into walking the dogs with me-I was taking one or two at a time and making multiple trips around the block-my back and toe just can't go more than one trip!

Went out to dinner tonight for Rich's birthday-I meant to be good, but wasn't!! Tomorrow is another day!
Sponsored Links
  #1937   ^
Old Thu, Jan-06-11, 20:50

Plan: My plan, my way
Stats: 233.8/170.0/179 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 116%

Sounds like all is starting to come together for everyone. Since I no longer "do guilt" and "put myself higher on priority scale" for the New Year am going to be able to say NO instead of o.k. when I don't want to do something. Well, I'm hopeful that will happen. Already I've had to remind myself a few times.
My appointment went very well today. Had to be up by 4:45 which wasn't too bad. I'm always so afraid that I won't get to an appointment on time or that I won't wake up early and don't sleep well during the night. I finally went to sleep around 3:45 a.m., lol. Also, had worried so over seeing new doctors and how I would be viewed when presenting health problems. Liked the doctor and he seemed to hear me.
Good news is that since I don't have my scale here haven't weighed since October 9. Weighed 190 that day. Couldn't begin to get into my jeans (size 16) after getting here (about a 5-6 inch gap from button to hole). Just wore my elastic things even for casual dress up. For Granddaughters Christmas program brought a nicer outfit, didn't try on until time to wear. It was too big, thought that's crazy and maybe the "water weight and bloating" had gone down. Desperate I thought I'd wear the jeans with a long flowing top unbuttoned. Imagine my surprise when was able to button. Today on the scale, if I read it right, I've lost 21 pounds without knowing it.
No mirrors to look at whereas at home bathroom has mirrored closet doors and we have a ceiling to counter wall to wall mirror above the sink. I vision myself at around my 199 weight. Thought I'd gained since being here, not lost. I'm so flabby and lower belly droops sorta floppy. Have to lift it to bath, something new since being taken off the Premarin.
Doctor gave me go ahead for the high protein/lower carb ratio and even encouraged it since I am a diabetic. Hope knowing that my weight is lower doesn't cause it to go back up. Know I'm so much more active, allergies aren't stifling my life as much and I'm finally accepting my dog's death after 8 months. Going to get a new fur baby.
I'm staying in Fernandina Beach. Did go to Daytona while DH visited to our favorite oyster and shrimp dive. The drive was perfect that day, sunshine and all. Fernandina Beach had quite the rain last night, very much needed. We plan to move here and are putting TN house up for sale and building a small cottage here. Keep downsizing more and more. Except for DH's garage, it gets bigger. Will be as big as the house, lol.
Still craving cookies, carrot cake, and key lime pie.
Again, glad to hear flu is going away and slowly others, like me, will start posting again now that the holidays are over. N2L
  #1938   ^
Old Fri, Jan-07-11, 06:32

Plan: atkins
Stats: 383.8/345.4/180 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 19%

Good morning,waiting for the snow to fly,not much 3-5 inches.I am cleaning all day so it doesn't matter to me.N2L,that must of been a nice surprise on the weight loss,glad you are doing better.I ate better yesterday,just seems my head isn't in it yet...oh well.I will just keep trying....have a good all,Glo
  #1939   ^
Old Fri, Jan-07-11, 06:53

Plan: counting carbs
Stats: 200/188/135 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 18%

N2L---where are you in Florida? If you have posted this in the past, I just either didn't see it or forgot!! What county? Near what town/city? Is your hubby still working or is he retired? I hope you will be able to sell your TN property. I can't imagine losing that much wt and not knowing it....wow....that is a big drop. You will have to change your stats. I have been doing okay on low carbs......today we are going to DH sister's for lunch...so I will really have to watch closely what I put into this big hole in my face!!!! We got some flurries yesterday....Lake Effect Snow coming down from Lake Michigan sweeping across the northern Indiana......not much here, but it was to be more accumulation north and then into Michigan. I do NOT like winter.
We will be leaving for FL Feb. 28.....for March. That shortens our Indiana winters for us a bit. Everyone, have a super LOW day!!! HaHaHA
  #1940   ^
Old Fri, Jan-07-11, 10:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/230/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

Good morning all. I am so glad I found this site. Slowly working through all the information, especially on the, um, over 50 issues. I'm 68.5 years old, and determined not to enter my 70s overweight.

Reading lots of encouraging information here. Now I need to go outside and shovel some snow and clear a path for our dog. Our rescued Border Collie is nervous about being in the cold (he was trapped in a cold, wet barn for years, so he's definitely a couch potato in front of the fire now!).

I hope my dog comment is OK; I see that others have posted about their animals, so I was tempted to do likewise.

Mickey
  #1941   ^
Old Fri, Jan-07-11, 18:57

BF:

Hi Mickey! Welcome! We're a fun bunch-even with our challenges! We post about a lot of things so feel free!

Vickie-If we're really going to meet in March, I don't want to be this fat so I think I'll have to use you as my goal. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get to the store so I'm still not eating right! Monday!!!

Glo-where do you get your energy-I can't make myself clean house! I'm either going to have to get a cleaning lady or get used to it! I'm just too pooped working six days and the 7th is spent placing orders and dealing with problems etc. Keep trying to take another day off, but we're getting too busy.

N2L-I can't believe you didn't know you lost 21 pounds! That is fantastic!!! You go girl!! We live in Sarasota/Bradenton-Fl west central coast. A long way away from you I think. Keep up the good work!!!

Have a good weekend!!
  #1942   ^
Old Fri, Jan-07-11, 22:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/230/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%
Wink Thank you for the welcome!

Thank you, PandaGramy, for your gracious welcome. I see you live in the Sarasota/Bradenton area. We used to live in Englewood -- that section of Englewood that is just south of Venice and located in Sarasota County, not Charlotte County. I really, REALLY miss it -- especially on days like this in the Pocono Mountains of Pennsylvania.

Got my exercise shoveling snow today, for sure! It's the start of the new exercise regimen for me. More fluffy white stuff is expected tomorrow.

I look forward to hearing all your success stories, and adding mine.

Thanks again for the welcome -- y'all seem like a fun bunch of winners who are "losing" -- for sure!

Mickey
  #1943   ^
Old Sat, Jan-08-11, 06:30

BF:

Good morning, Everyone!! WELCOME Mickey!!! How special that you have come to our "little" group.....of larger-than-life ladies.....men don't seem to stick around long. Ha!!! I LOVE the Poconos!!! Have been there when our kids were younger. Our nephew & family life near Mountain Home/Cresco area....he is a pastor of a church there. We also have friends down in Lancaster County. Oh, Pam!!! are your stats correct? If so, we are the same fluffy weight.....I also hope to lose, but I lose slowly, so do NOT worry about YOUR wt. I am concerned about MINE!!!! Hahahahha So, let's promise, that whatever happens, we will enjoy meeting!!! We are MORE than our weight, but we do want to get healthier!! Glo, it's still dark here, but we must have gotten a few more flurries overnight.....the ground is white again. But, this time, HORRAY!! We didn't get much. Mickey....just hop in here and share your life with us. My hubby & I are retired, but he works (busy seasons mostly) part-time (sometimes it's FULL time part-time!!!) driving semi for a local large feed mill...hauls grain to market, gets fertilizers, etc. We live in the country just west of Berne, IN......We have two grown children, Tom & Melisa. Both are married with two daughters (perfect granddaughters--hahah).
Tom was born to us, and Melisa was born FOR us in Korea. I always tell people we have ONE Domestic & ONE Foreign-Import.
Our son is Economics Professor in a university, and our daughter is Pschologist, working with kids, and families. Tell us a bit about yourself, please. Oh, Pam & I plan to meet this March, when my hubby & I go down for the month. We stay west of Bradenton on Anna Maria Island which isn't far from where Pam lives. Yesterday we went to Windy's (DH) sister's for lunch.....she put on a spread---so I ate!!! Now, back on a more strict LOW CARB plan!!! xoxooxxo
  #1944   ^
Old Sat, Jan-08-11, 11:28
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin
Stats: 315/304/160 Female 5 ft 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 7%

Hello my name is Karen I am 61 orig from Pennsylvania Quakertown now in Florida which I never liked hope to move back someday
  #1945   ^
Old Sun, Jan-09-11, 05:54

BF:

Hi Karen!! Welcome---where in FL are you? I guess it would be hard to move from somewhere you like....we love visiting Fl and have for years...but I am not sure I would choose to actually move there totally. Depends if our family was there. I have a couple cousins down in Okeechobee but I wouldn't want to live therre either. So, guess we will stay up here in NE Indiana and just visit FL in March. Best wishes to everyone today!! xoxoxo Vicki
  #1946   ^
Old Mon, Jan-10-11, 09:23

BF:

Welcome Karen! I'm in Bradenton/Sarasota. Sorry you aren't liking FL. We've been here since '85. We briefly considered a move to TN a few years ago, but I'm sure we'll never move!

I'm having a very busy, disorganized day! So, I'll have to post later! Have a great day!!
  #1947   ^
Old Tue, Jan-11-11, 08:48

BF:

I promise myself that today I get back on the LC wagon. Last night I finished off my stash of junk food. Went to bed as usual very uncomfortable. Woke this morning with the usual (of late) intestinal problems. My body is a mess! I keep meeting women in the store that are 10-20 years older than I am who look and are in better shape than I am. The other day a very attractive woman confessed she is 78 and does cardio and lifts weights every day. I used to be that disciplined but not for many years. There is no excuse for my eating and bad habits-I am not beating myself up-so nobody try to "sugar" coat it! LOL!

I need to cut my hair! And color it! I'm becoming an old hag-gotta spruce myself up for the public!!

Have a great day!!
  #1948   ^
Old Wed, Jan-12-11, 04:20

Plan: atkins
Stats: 383.8/345.4/180 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 19%

Good morning ladies, sorry I haven't been around for a few days had trouble with my left knee,the back of my knee,must have pulled something,didn't feel like typing,knee much better now.What a nice surprise to see new people here,WELCOME MICKEY AND KAREN,great to have you here,hope we can help each other....feel free to talk about anything you want,spouses,kids,pets,Grandchildren,you are our freinds already.I am still having a hard time with getting back on my eating plan,Pam,you said you cleaned up your supply of junk food,well I just restocked mine,we are having a severe snow storm,Northeaster and I guess I was afraid I would be snowed in for weeks without food....Lol,but it is really not funny,I am such a food addict!!! We are getting 12-18 inches of snow,on top of the 8 inches we already had,the state is pretty much shut down,thunder snow,wind up to 45 miles per hour,near zero visability.My son is here from Albany with his girlfriend plowing(he has commercial property and 19 driveways to plow) they will be plowing all day so I will make a pot of soup for when they want to take a break.They will come to take a nap after plowing all night.I hope everyone has a good day....Glo
  #1949   ^
Old Wed, Jan-12-11, 08:01

BF:

Hey Glo-don't envy the snow!! The only thing we're missing is snow-it's cold here in sunny FL!

I did OK eating yesterday-before bed I caved and had 2 cups of hot chocolate. I have something sweet. I have to work on that!

Have a great day!!
  #1950   ^
Old Thu, Jan-13-11, 06:06
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin
Stats: 315/304/160 Female 5 ft 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 7%

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosiergir
Hi Karen!! Welcome---where in FL are you? I guess it would be hard to move from somewhere you like....we love visiting Fl and have for years...but I am not sure I would choose to actually move there totally. Depends if our family was there. I have a couple cousins down in Okeechobee but I wouldn't want to live therre either. So, guess we will stay up here in NE Indiana and just visit FL in March. Best wishes to everyone today!! xoxoxo Vicki

Clearwater Florida
Closed Thread