Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-05-08, 15:05

Plan: Primal/Paleo/MyOwn
Stats: 187.5/168/132 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default How old were you at menopause?

Hi, I am just turning 47 and going through menopause. After reading through some of the posts here, it seems I am quite early in this. I've been trying to eat healthfully for a number of years now, but now I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong? Doctors say the average age is almost 52.

I don't know if it could be genetics to blame. My own mom started going through menopause at 40,and was completely done by 43. I always thought this was because of her eating habits which are terrible, with only very low-fat and processed foods, and little-to-no-meat. (As in Wonder Bread, margarine, jello, saltine crackers,frozen low-fat waffles, and boxed noodle soups.)

Since I try to eat only whole, real foods, I was thinking I'd be a little more like the average age for menopause, at least. It's not that I mind knowing I'll be "menopuausal", but that I wonder if this means I am aging prematurely. How old were you, if you have already achieved menopause?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-05-08, 15:25

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

Where did you get the idea that one's diet has anything to do with age of menopause? I've never heard that.

My understanding is that age at menopause is largely hereditary.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-05-08, 15:59
Operation Ann 2013

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 310/297.0/150 Female 5ft 1 in
BF:Of course!! :)
Progress: 8%

I started about 46, had some symptom's off and on for years....fast forward, been about 5-6 months since I have seen TOM live and in color.....pardon me....LOL

But you still get symptoms, bloat especially.......hot flashes not as bad as they were........but occaisionally whew.....

I also heard it was heriditary.......My mom had it at about 47.

Best of luck.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-05-08, 16:31
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I'm not there yet and I'm 50. My sister was 52, Mom was 50 and her mother was 55.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Nov-05-08, 17:24

Plan: Primal/Paleo/MyOwn
Stats: 187.5/168/132 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 35%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLx
Where did you get the idea that one's diet has anything to do with age of menopause?

I guess I sort of figured that since hitting menopause means your body is no longer able to support having a baby, it could be due to deficiencies in your diet, etc. So in my semi-logical thoughts, if you ate better and therefore were healthier, you should enter menopause later.

Or have I just had one too many hot flashes and am not thinking clearly?
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-05-08, 18:30
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

I don't remember for sure, but I think I was 43 or 44.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-08, 10:51
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skip
I guess I sort of figured that since hitting menopause means your body is no longer able to support having a baby, it could be due to deficiencies in your diet, etc. So in my semi-logical thoughts, if you ate better and therefore were healthier, you should enter menopause later.

Or have I just had one too many hot flashes and am not thinking clearly?

It seems like that could possibly be the case. I also think that hot flashes might be an indication of energy crisis in the brain, or at least that's what the neurologist Dr. McCleary thinks. I'm eager to see if I get them. My Mom didn't but my sister did. If I do get them, I'm going to try his suggestion of using MCT oil and a few other supplements to resolve the energy crisis.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-08, 18:14

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 262.2/247.2/204 Female 5ft 1/2 inch
BF:
Progress: 26%

I've read that smokers go thru menopause earlier ..if that has any bearing here, im not sure. My "lady problems" have lead me to do some online research and it seems 45 to 60 could be considered "normal" ..how's that for a range!!?? 15 years. Sounds to me like there is no "normal"
I'm 46, by actually having blood work done, my hormones tested as NOT being in menopause, but I do have night sweats and the odd hot flash (could be perimenopause?) I'm convinced that menopause is very much a personal thing .. as in, don't compare yourself to your friends, or even female relatives... but ymmv.

Last edited by FatFreeMe : Tue, Nov-11-08 at 18:19. Reason: whoops! I'm not 47! I just turned 46 lmao ..too funny!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Nov-21-08, 11:49

Stats: 235/229/134 Female 5'2"
BF:R U Crazy
Progress: 6%

some flashing is peri, also highly fluctuating hormones can cause those tests to be off, I was in peri for a few years and in meno now for 3....less flashing, less night sweats,but other symptoms still there - brain fog, and lack of sex drive
LOL - still having sex, but no cravings prior to the act itself and very dry, very very dry all day every day.....uncomfortable
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Nov-29-08, 23:50

Plan: LCHF, IF
Stats: 265/205/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 46%

My periods starting becoming less frequent when I was 39, and I had my last one at 44. I had a total of three hot flashes, and no other symptoms. I was smoking then and before then, so that's evidence for what Jody said.

Meg
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Nov-30-08, 07:04

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/198.6/170 Female 67inches
BF:
Progress: 52%

I started maybe around 47. Hot flashes like I could not believe, but figured I was too young for menopause. Then TOM would be very sporadic. Go maybe 6 months with nothing, then, out of the middle of NOWHERE a flood, and of course, always at work, unprepared. 51 now. Hot flashes pretty much done with. No TOM for nearly 2 years (yippee)
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Nov-30-08, 18:10

Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress:

I also had hot flashes during peri in my late 40s, while periods were still totally on track. In my early 50s periods started coming every 2 to 3 months, not sure if they've stopped yet; flashes only occasionally now.

But when I started missing periods, I went through about a month of feeling very poorl -- felt like I was on an emotional roller coaster, low energy, weird inflammation problems.

Finally got some herbs that helped so much. I highly recommend nettle and red clover (tea made with dried herbs preferable to capsules IMO). It's also good to nourish the liver, since it goes through so many changes during MP. Some helpful herbs are milk thistle and dandelion root.

Red clover is high in plant estrogen similar to human estrogen. I also eat pomegranates regularly, the only fruit I eat on LC; and I eat with sour cream or cream cheese in small portions. Also high in plant estrogen.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Nov-30-08, 21:27

Stats: 162/137/135 Female 5'4”
BF:
Progress: 93%

I'm only 41 but am starting menopause symptoms already. I had a tubal ligation 2 years ago which I believe is the cause of it coming so early. My cycles are crazy, hair is falling out, carb cravings, mild hot flashes at night, sleep problems, mood like Linda Blair some days -- I'm not looking forward to years & years of this.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Nov-30-08, 21:55

Plan: LCHF, IF
Stats: 265/205/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 46%

Leslie, I had my tubes tied too; I'm glad you said that. I never thought of it as connected to my starting menopause at 39. My menopause was quick and easy, so if the tubal ligation is connected, yours may be quick and easy too.

Meg
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Nov-30-08, 23:52

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%

46, and it was blissfully painless -- no hot flashes, no night sweats, no other problems. I'd had sporadic periods for the two years prior. Have to say, I don't miss 'em