Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Bread & Baked Goods
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-17-11, 08:11

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%
Default Jays Low Carb Croissants - a Rev Roll variation

Would you believe I'm in my seventh year as a low carber and I never did a Rev Roll thang?

I was getting low carb wraps for those occasional sandwich cravings, but I went gluten free (quite happily) this winter.

Then equipment issues became pertinent; my Target mixer was terrible, started spitting the beaters out into the bowl around the fourth time I used it. I was just mixing things by hand, but egg whites are not a candidate for that (one of the reasons I'm enjoying gluten free is that my arthritis issues have calmed considerably.) So I finally ditched it and got a Hamilton Beach hand mixer instead. It has a whisk just for stuff like whipped cream and egg whites. Joy!

Now all those accumulated links and notes (geez, is there anything fraught with more drama and failure than the many ways of Rev Rolls?) are going to be put to some use.

Yesterday, I made these:

Jays Low Carb Croissants!

4 Egg Whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
3 Egg Yolks
1 Tsp Mrs Dash (original blend) {I used just parsley}
1 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
1 scoop of 365 Brand vanilla whey protein shake (from whole foods) mix with 1/4 water {I used a 1/4 cup plain whey protein}
1 Tablespoon Mayonnaise

Method:

1. To the egg yolks add the Mayonnaise, Mrs dash, cheddar cheese and the vanilla shake and mix until uniform.
2. To the egg whites add the cream of tartar and whisk using a mixer as shown in the video. (in the link, below)
3. Add the egg yolk mixture to the egg whites and fold in the mixture.
4. Using a large spoon, spoon mixture out to a try lined with parchment paper.
5. Bake for 35 minutes at 300 degrees
6. Turn oven off and leave in oven for another 5 minutes.
7. Then remove croissants and place on a wire rack to cool.
8. Let cool for about 10 minutes before eating.

This mixture will make 6 large croissants, Enjoy!

1 carb each

http://www.lowcarb360.com/jays-low-carb-croissants.html

Man oh man, these were good! I tried to leave a comment on her site, but it's kinda closed down or something. But credit where it's due.

Also, I didn't have a muffin top pan (yet!) so I put six paper baking cups on the cookie sheet and filled those; worked pretty well as containment vessels to give them a bit more height. I had a silicone sheet on the pan, too, because there was some overflow.

Actually, it looked like the paper cups had thrown up; this was a source of much merriment from my partially low carb husband; who made a face but diplomatically said, "They smell good."

They were great fifteen minutes after coming out of the oven, and then later that evening two of them made an excellent hamburger bun.

Anyway, I'm going to be doing a LOT of experimenting now that I have a mixer that works!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-21-11, 23:13
Registered Member

Plan: low carb.
Stats: 191.5/155/160 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 116%

I made these tonight and they are amazing! I ate one with a chili that I made and I’m thrilled to have a replacement for buns
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-30-11, 06:36

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Made a second batch that doubled the recipe, but I needed a bigger bowl for that many egg whites; the recipe was kinda runny and I wound up with it spreading all over the cookie sheet. But it still worked great as flatbread!

However, I'm ditching the paper cups entirely; must get muffin top pans. Especially since I made a roast beef sandwich for my low carbing brother on this flatbread; and he loved it!

Especially after he pulled the paper cup out of his serving...
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-14, 23:01

Plan: hflc
Stats: 166/157/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 22%

What is a "muffin top pan" ? Is it a muffin pan? THX!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-14, 23:50
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamackarch
What is a "muffin top pan" ? Is it a muffin pan? THX!

No, they are much shallower than muffin pans. https://www.google.com/search?q=muf...iw=1920&bih=979
But I don't see them as being essential for making revolution rolls of any sort. In fact, I have only made my rev rolls by popping them onto a baking sheet. As long as the egg whites are nice and stiff - which you can achieve by (a) making sure they are at room temperature, (b) making sure you don't have a single speck of egg yolk in them (I break them separately into a cup first to make sure) and only ever using a metal or glass bowl and (c) using a bit of either vinegar or cream of tartar to help stiffen them.

HTH!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-14, 19:57
Every day is day 1.

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 249.0/220.6/160 Female 67 inches
BF:Yup. I know.
Progress: 32%

These sound great! I am 'marking my spot' so I can find this quickly tomorrow! I can't wait to whip up a batch! Thanks for posting!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-14, 09:48

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 235/202/165 Female 5'7 inches
BF:
Progress: 47%

I like the muffin top pans very much for making a consistent product. I have muffin top pans of ceramic and one of metal (stainless steel) and was surprised to find the stainless steel worked better. But I've also made them on plain cookie sheets and they were OK. My first attempts didn't work out because I didn't beat the egg whites long enough. Now I set a timer for 5 minutes and they come out good.